Commuting and touring saddle alternatives to the old B17?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
boink

Commuting and touring saddle alternatives to the old B17?

Post by boink »

Had a B17 for years which has done me on a few longish trips, but recently not without a spot of perineal pressure. I've changed tension, altered angles, even cut a hole out but it's just not working for me. Tried Charge spoon or 2 and went back to the brooks, same with a Rido some years back, a cheapo bioflex saddle and a Specialized BG.

Looking at giving something else a go and considering the dipped nosed TRK. I'm over 50. 6ft, 38 waist, 16 stone or so with a pretty upright style. Bars in line with my saddle eg. No idea what sit bone measurements are, but assuming a medium TRK would be ok or for the money at least worth a try.
whoof

Re: Commuting and touring saddle alternatives to the old B17?

Post by whoof »

Have you tried to change your position, bars higher or lower than the saddle to see if this move the pressure point?
PH

Post by PH »

My experience with B17's (I've had three or four) is that they start uncomfortable, take half a year to break in, keep that sweet spot for a few years and then the sag becomes too much and they're no longer as comfortable. I've given up trying to keep them in that sweet spot, adjusting the tension helps but doesn't last long. I'm currently using the Cambian C17 equivalent, which is a similar shape, with a little more give and stay the same from out of the box to being knackered (Which comes sooner than with some saddles)
If you've previously got on with a B17, it might be worth giving one a try, Spa had/have them on offer and if it doesn't suit, lightly used ones fetch a fair price (I've seen one sell on Ebay for more than I paid new!)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’m an SMP lover (3x Hybrids + 1 Well) but I found the TRK too wide on the nose I.e. between the legs.
You could try before you buy dillglove.co.uk
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
boink

Post by boink »

Thanks folks.

friend has offered me a try of his Cambrian (with suspension seatpost) so I'll see how that goes. I'll definitely look into the try before I buy option too Paulatic. What would you recommend as an alternative to the TRK?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Spa saddle 5 years to break in.....!

Brook b17 £60 at wiggle at moment sounds like a bargain.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brooks-england ... HcQAvD_BwE

Cheers James
scottg

Post by scottg »

I have a 1970s era B-17, still not broken in,
bought it used. Now I understand why it was for sale
and in such good shape. :(

Bought new B-17 a few years ago, it went soft and started to
splay in a few months, so I laced it above the rails, flattening
it back out, like it was new. It has held that shape since then.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
hamster

Post by hamster »

I think that it's a fit thing in every way. For me a B17 is simply too fat, the B17 narrow is good but nothing that special. My go-to is the San Marco Regal (nicknamed the Belgian Sofa by pro team riders). After that it's the San Marco C40 Bontrager - long discontinued.

It's a try and see thing. The San Marco Rolls is also one of those designs that seems to be widely popular. Buy a varied collection of tatty examples on ebay and see what works.

Being both heavy and riding upright is a tough ask for a saddle.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I replaced my Spa leather saddle with a Witkkop Medicus Gel trekking saddle from Lidl. Ridiculously cheap when they have them in. £7.99 IIRC.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/B%C3%BCchel-Wittkop-Medicus-1-0-Trekking-91201-Mens/dp/B01F8Z1XTS/ looks to be the same thing on Amazon, but the price is quite a bit more.

That has done me well so far on my 40-50 mile days touring.

I have no idea if the profile will suit you, though.

I tried the MTB one as well and that was also comfortable and slimmer, but the Trekking variant suits me well.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I use a SMP Trk saddle and consider them to be a 200+km saddle. I'm also 6ft and 110kg but have the saddle set quite far back. I used a Spa Nidd on Saturdays 200km Audax and that was possibly more comfy than the Trk.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

hamster wrote:I think that it's a fit thing in every way. For me a B17 is simply too fat, the B17 narrow is good but nothing that special. My go-to is the San Marco Regal (nicknamed the Belgian Sofa by pro team riders). After that it's the San Marco C40 Bontrager - long discontinued.

It's a try and see thing. The San Marco Rolls is also one of those designs that seems to be widely popular. Buy a varied collection of tatty examples on ebay and see what works.

Being both heavy and riding upright is a tough ask for a saddle.

San Marco Rolls works for me and I have five bikes with this model saddlle.

Mike
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'm a bit on the heavier side, and find that the Professional is preferable to the B17, as it keeps its shape better. Thicker leather, I think. But I've always liked the B17 too.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

What about the Bertoud? I have B17' s and just last week returned from a 3 month Europe tour. Got my first ever saddle sore and rode with it for the last 800 miles. Not sure how I got it but during that period I was wondering about a Giles Bertoud saddle!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I went from the Flyer which I think is a sprung B17 to a Dawes GT on the workhorse bike and a Brev.M Sellino (which I think is a clone of an old Concor) on the fun bike.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=113371 is an older thread which may interest you.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I'd check out the selle royal saddles sold by Halfords and Decathlon.

(latter may be branded differently, not sure)

excellent no nonsense saddles.

And pretty cheap
Sweep