Bag for panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Bag for panniers

Post by simonhill »

Sweep wrote:
simonhill wrote:The laundry bags seem ideal.

However Malaysian airlines have banned them for hold luggage. Presumably because not strong enough.

As a frequent traveller in those parts (I have the impression that you are) do you have a recommended solution simon for aggregating your panniers and bike clobber off the bike and when on the ground/up in the air?

Hi Sweep,

I don't think I have ever removed my luggage when leaving the bike, unless I am staying the night or getting a train, etc. It could be said that a couple of grubby Super Cs make the bike less appealing. I do remove anything valuable, eg my tablet that I keep in the rear pocket, but that's all. I carry a small nylon backpack (2 bits of string and a nylon bag) to carry any stuff with me.

When flying, I usually use Emirates and they accept multi pieces of luggage so each pannier is checked in separately. If the airline (usually budget) goes by "piece" then I usea luggage strap or poly sheet and tape to make 2 into 1.

The info re Malaysian was a bit lighthearted, but meant to point out that those laundry bags aren't very substantial and could easily be torn, etc. If putting stuff in them, I think I would want to tie it all together.

The Ikea bags have been recommended for carrying Bromptons so I think they may be more robust.

Did you read the reviews on the Go website for those Hi Gear bags - not very good.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

No, will check out.
But sort if decided on the ikea bag. I have used a smaller one in the past to transport a dyson cleaner on a long train journey :) and also use one as a laundry bag. Versatile things.
Sweep
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sweep wrote:
horizon wrote:I (like many others I suspect) used good old laundry bags for carrying panniers on the plane and at other times too. I found them the right size and shape. But although cheap, they're not strong. However, other firms seem to do much better, stronger bags in the same shape, size, style - I've even got one with bicycles printed on the outside (gift from children). So they are out there.

Ah yes, had thought of those.
You mean the "plaid" chinese made bags often sold on markets and in pound shops?
If so possibly the most practical and cheapest solution.
The zips can be weak/crazily engineered considering the weight those bags are often going to carry but not necessarily an issue for the application.
Can possibly make one look like a vagrant, but then we are all vagrants are we not?

Have done this several times - I did invest in a 'better' one with a nifty design on it that I have flown with a few times.

That said, if I was just going into a pub I wouldn't bother bagging the er, bags.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote:
Sweep wrote:
horizon wrote:I (like many others I suspect) used good old laundry bags for carrying panniers on the plane and at other times too. I found them the right size and shape. But although cheap, they're not strong. However, other firms seem to do much better, stronger bags in the same shape, size, style - I've even got one with bicycles printed on the outside (gift from children). So they are out there.

Ah yes, had thought of those.
You mean the "plaid" chinese made bags often sold on markets and in pound shops?
The zips can be weak/crazily engineered considering the weight those bags are often going to carry but not necessarily an issue for the application.
Can possibly make one look like a vagrant, but then we are all vagrants are we not?

Have done this several times - I did invest in a 'better' one with a nifty design on it that I have flown with a few times.

That said, if I was just going into a pub I wouldn't bother bagging the er, bags.

It's just so I can easily carry them.

Somewhat tricky to seperately carry maybe four panniers plus other assorted junk I have on top of the bike.
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sweep wrote:
whoof wrote:Ikea also do a zipped version of the 71 litre bag.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/frakta-tru ... -90149148/

That looks ideal whoof - thankyou.
Now to find it in my nearest Ikea - clues as to where to find it welcomed.
(Ikea also good for rechargeable batteries of course - been suggested by some - quite convincingly - that they are actually eneloops - also a nifty uber cheap AAA/AA charger with a USB lead that can be plugged into powerbaknks - they too take some finding)

On my latest tour I took a 10,000mah power bank, which lasted for 4 days for mobile and sat nav.
I did not take this but its nifty,own one or two-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liitokala-Lii-100-Battery-Charger-For-18650-26650-4-35V-3-2V-3-7V-1-2-D6V9/113749012048?hash=item1a7bf82e50:g:hWAAAOSwdLpc2sJe
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liitokala-Lii-100-Battery-Charger-For-18650-26650-4-35V-3-2V-3-7V-1-2-D6V9/113749012048?hash=item1a7bf82e50:g:hWAAAOSwdLpc2sJe

Look around you can get quicker postage and they have probably updated the design, usb in and out charge any battery type in cylinder shape. also can do two and four cells, other models same make.
I also took a head light which doubles as a power bank to charge other devices.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sweep wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
Sweep wrote:Ah yes, had thought of those.

It's just so I can easily carry them.

Somewhat tricky to seperately carry maybe four panniers plus other assorted junk I have on top of the bike.

too much junk? :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Somewhat tricky to seperately carry maybe four panniers plus other assorted junk I have on top of the bike.

I think it's also tricky to carry four panniers and junk sloshing around loose inside a big bag IMO. Do a test run before you go. I've used a laundry bag for loading a rucksack onto a plane when backpacking - never seriously considered using it for cycling, but have had trouble trying to put a folding bike and a pannier in a bag. So I'd put the junk into panniers or bar bag, bar bag on shoulder strap, then two panniers back-to-back by their top handles in each hand.

I would leave the bags on (except for the one containing valuables) when going into a pub but I think we have different tastes in pubs. ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote:I would leave the bags on (except for the one containing valuables) when going into a pub but I think we have different tastes in pubs. ;)

I think it's the street rather than pub which is the key factor mjr.

And have taken my bike into certain pubs so problem solved.

I can live with stuff sloshing around in the bag - just a matter of aggregating all the bits together so there is a single handle. Wouldn't trust most of these sorts of things on a plane/anywhere someone else or a bit of machinery is handling them - the zips tend to be the weakest point on anything cheap. Could be handy on a National Express coach I suppose though have never tried taking a bike on one and maybe never will.
Sweep
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I used to use a US military issue duffel bag. No zips, and about as simple & tough as such things get. They aren't as light as an IKEA bag, but maybe a bit easier to carry. I used it to check panniers in it at the airport, as well.

Mine looks like https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARMY-KIT-BAGS- ... s_sp_1_vtp
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Caledonia64

Post by Caledonia64 »

I have never removed panniers from a bike while touring (except for overnights) and they have always been fine. I did not use to remove panniers from my bike around the city (Aberdeen, when I lived there) unless I needed the contents or to fill them with shopping. Only once did I have an empty Karrimor pannier removed. I can't remember if it was an old green random single barely waterproofed/bashed up pannier, or a newer single one, which was pointless of the thief unless s/he had the components of that complicated fastening deviice Karrimor had latterly: I think it was the latter, the newer one as I recall I had one Basil basket and one pannier for runaround trips for a while),
I think after that I had two small kryptonite (whatever) cables wiith a loop at each end to attach the panniers to the rack and through which thread the cable lock proper (attached to lamp post or cycle stand). I don't use them where I live now.

For town in the later years of cycling in Aberdeen and since I moved here/started cycling again, for out and about my daily business i use Basil baskets (no fancy attachments, the weight of the contents keeps them unflapping): handy for shopping as you can fill them up as you go round to prevent over-loading then repack with a £1 fold up bag if necessary, or the allotment as the dirt is sieved out. I have cargo nets for the rack basket, and waterproof "shower cap" type covers for the baskets (which retains potential runaway cauliflowers if you fill the baskets to the limit).

No one wants to steal Basil baskets. However when I go to Belgium touring (given I will be in big cities at some point, though usually that will be daytrips with just the courier bag strapped to the rack, inside a plastic/dry bag to contain straps) I shall take the loopy extension cables. Ortliieb and Vaude I believe each have their own accessories that serve the same function plus you can get zip padlocks for zipped panniers.

As I said I do not imagine removing the panniers while touring and on short stops: maybe secure them and remove just the courier bag (if I take it over a backpack) and the bar bag plus eg any specific valuables. No one wants to nick three pairs of Endura cycling socks, a pair of Rocket Dog canvas sneakers and 3 M&S Active Sports Tops. Maybe I would be more precious with the Trangia/a Tent/a good Sleeping bag at the top of the pack.

What Ortlieb do have (I have not tried it nor am I intending to buy it) is the backpack adapter for their panniers. Other brands (and Ortlieb) have coverta-panniers or converta-dry sacks that become backpacks: though how successfully/functionally it straddles both uses I do not know. Usually the shoulder straps on better brands of panniers are usable: my old Altura front panniers (now used for day trips as rear panniers) have shoulder-padded straps, and the Ortlieb panniers have straps. When I once flew with a bike packed the flattened panniers into a backpack with the rain cover secured. And a duffle bag with a tent. This might not have been your average bike on a plane scenario as this was from Spain in 1986 when I had 100 kg in boxes of books and it happens not just a £1000 in £10 notes in smuggled out currency/savings, but was on crutches a broken ankle (from an accident at a canoe regatta).