TER Train Clermont Ferrand to Toulouse via Figeac

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ANTONISH

TER Train Clermont Ferrand to Toulouse via Figeac

Postby ANTONISH » 14 Aug 2019, 8:39am

Next year we are planning to do a rail/cycling trip in France - we want to travel on some of the scenic routes and I know that some of them won't take bikes - that's not a problem we'll just do day return rides.
I don't usually have a problem navigating the French rail system but the above route seems to exist on some train websites but not if one attempts to book a ticket.
It's listed as TER and only operates once a day.

Does anyone know if this line is actually in use or is it not possible to book for some reason ?

pq

Re: TER Train Clermont Ferrand to Toulouse via Figeac

Postby pq » 21 Aug 2019, 11:10am

That runs through our local station!

I very much doubt there's a direct train which does that. There's a train from Figeac to Toulouse which I think originates in Aurillac. There are around 5 per day, you mostly buy the ticket on the train (unless you board at a staffed station). There's always bike space - just look for the symbol on the side of the train. I don't know whether you can reserve in advance, but the train is never crowded. I have no idea how you would connect to Clermont.

The SNCF web site has a habit of hiding trains which are slower. You can try using DB and saying you'll be taking a bike, that often works, or I find thetrainline.com is now pretty good.

It's a shame to do that stretch by train. I regularly catch the train from here (St Antonin Noble Val, nearest station Lexos) to Figeac and ride home - it's a really stunning ride.
One link to your website is enough. G

ubert767

Postby ubert767 » 21 Aug 2019, 12:23pm

pq wrote:
There's a train from Figeac to Toulouse which I think originates in Aurillac.

A couple of summers ago we caught a TER from Clermont Ferrand in order to start a tour from Aurillac, so the line existed then. French railways is going through it's "Beeching" period, though!

pq

Postby pq » 21 Aug 2019, 12:26pm

Ah, well I guess that's how you connect to Clermont from my local train.
One link to your website is enough. G

ubert767

Postby ubert767 » 21 Aug 2019, 12:43pm

I've just looked on the "OuiSNCF" website and it now shows that you can get from CF as far as Arvant then it's a bus onward to Aurillac.

ANTONISH

Postby ANTONISH » 22 Aug 2019, 5:26pm

Thanks for the replies. After much investigation it appears that the bus is the option.
The reason for the train /bike tour is that time is limited and we like scenic train rides. We want to ride the mountain train up the Puy de Dome.
( I rode up it once but that was sixty years ago :( )
Then it looks as if we will take the scenic train to Nimes (if it's still running.)
BTW I rode through St Antonin - Noble- Val on my way from Narbonne to Dieppe last year- stayed overnight at Caylus.