Bike carrier ( on our car ) on Normandie Express

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mjhatcher

Bike carrier ( on our car ) on Normandie Express

Post by Mjhatcher »

We are travelling to France on Friday and as usual taking family bikes on a buzzrack trailer. For the first time we are travelling on the Normandie Express fast boat and I’ve just seen an FAQ on the website talking about how they do not allow trailers or caravans on this crossing.

I spoke with a lady in their reservations team who said that what we had wouldn’t be a problem as it wasn’t a “separate trailer” but I didn’t get a huge feeling of confidence she was really clear. The last thing I want is to show up at the port and be unable to travel :(

Has anyone travelled on this boat with a 4-bike tow hitch trailer? Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks! Matt
robgul

Re: Bike trailer on Normandie Express

Post by robgul »

In no sense of the word is it a "trailer" as it's just a platform on the towbar of the vehicle. What you may find (I did when I took mine on a Brittany Ferry) is that there is a surcharge on the vehicle fare if you have a bike rack.

A trailer by defininition has wheels on the ground and trails behind the towing vehicle.

BUT why not do the obvious and email the ferry company to get a written reply as "evidence" in the unlikely event of a challenge as you board.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mjhatcher

Re: Bike carrier ( on our car ) on Normandie Express

Post by Mjhatcher »

Thanks for your help and for the good suggestion.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

Probably have a no trailer rule because there is only a loading door at one end and card have to do a tight turn inside the boat on loading or unloading depending on which side one parks.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'd never heard of the Normandie Express - looks good! Competitive prices.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Mjhatcher

Post by Mjhatcher »

Thanks all. I can safely say that there was no problem at all. Clearly had nothing to worry about!