McDonald's

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Oldjohnw

Re: McDonald's

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Aug 2019, 7:10am

Yes I do have some antipathy towards giant US corporations (UK ones as well) but I think my main grouse with McDs - and this applies to KFC as well - is how it cheapens life.

Of course their outlets are useful when on tour. But I wonder if most customers are simply people who live nearby but just can't be bothered to boil the kettle for a cup of coffee. Or make a sandwich. There is evidence, I believe, that whole families eat there several times a week. And often in socially deprived areas.

Just my thoughts: no attempt to impose.
John

robing

Postby robing » 26 Aug 2019, 9:02am

Oldjohnw wrote:Yes I do have some antipathy towards giant US corporations (UK ones as well) but I think my main grouse with McDs - and this applies to KFC as well - is how it cheapens life.

Of course their outlets are useful when on tour. But I wonder if most customers are simply people who live nearby but just can't be bothered to boil the kettle for a cup of coffee. Or make a sandwich. There is evidence, I believe, that whole families eat there several times a week. And often in socially deprived areas.

I agree with you there. In the UK I sometimes go there for coffee at lunchtime if working nearby. Was saddened by the number of poorer families eating there during the week. Often obese too. Probably can't cook.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 26 Aug 2019, 9:13am

I'm no fan of McD's, but it's grossly unfair to generalise about the folks who eat there. Even if they are poor and overweight, it's hard to beat the price of the food, especially if you are feeding a family. And the working poor often work jobs at hours that make it hard to coordinate meal times. When I was a kid, we ate there sometimes (twice per year?) because that was one of the few breaks my (single) mother ever got from cooking. We couldn't afford better, and until my brother and I were old enough to cook, the only other breaks were family get togethers when relatives would cook, or pay for a meal out.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Aug 2019, 9:46am

Vorpal wrote:I'm no fan of McD's, but it's grossly unfair to generalise about the folks who eat there. Even if they are poor and overweight, it's hard to beat the price of the food, especially if you are feeding a family. And the working poor often work jobs at hours that make it hard to coordinate meal times. When I was a kid, we ate there sometimes (twice per year?) because that was one of the few breaks my (single) mother ever got from cooking. We couldn't afford better, and until my brother and I were old enough to cook, the only other breaks were family get togethers when relatives would cook, or pay for a meal out.

I didn't generalise sbout anyone. I commented about location. But I believe there is academic evidence about people who eat excessively in such places.
John

pete75

Postby pete75 » 26 Aug 2019, 10:03am

robing wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Yes I do have some antipathy towards giant US corporations (UK ones as well) but I think my main grouse with McDs - and this applies to KFC as well - is how it cheapens life.

I agree with you there. In the UK I sometimes go there for coffee at lunchtime if working nearby. Was saddened by the number of poorer families eating there during the week. Often obese too. Probably can't cook.

Oh yeah the working classes can't cook. What other illogical prejudices do you hold?

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 26 Aug 2019, 10:11am

Just a post to say that though I liked vorpal's post a lot I don't think there was any ill intent or anything bad in rob's post.
Sweep

cooper_coleraine

Postby cooper_coleraine » 26 Aug 2019, 5:35pm

Good porridge and tea. Good toilets .Good bike security. Great and friendly staff. That's my experience.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Aug 2019, 5:41pm

I have a thermos and a sandwich tin. Once you get the hang of it it works fine every time!:-)
John

mjr

Postby mjr » 26 Aug 2019, 7:52pm

pete75 wrote:
robing wrote:

Oh yeah the working classes can't cook. What other illogical prejudices do you hold?

Who mentioned working class?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 26 Aug 2019, 9:18pm

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
robing wrote:I agree with you there. In the UK I sometimes go there for coffee at lunchtime if working nearby. Was saddened by the number of poorer families eating there during the week. Often obese too. Probably can't cook.

Poorer families were mentioned. It's the same thing or do think middle and upper class families are amongst the poorer families.

mjr

Postby mjr » 26 Aug 2019, 9:34pm

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Poorer families were mentioned. It's the same thing or do think middle and upper class families are amongst the poorer families.

These days, it's possible! But even if all the poor were working class that doesn't mean all the working class are poor and using those two terms interchangeably seems about as dodgy as certain other claims made above.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 27 Aug 2019, 7:50am

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Who mentioned working class?

These days, it's possible! But even if all the poor were working class that doesn't mean all the working class are poor and using those two terms interchangeably seems about as dodgy as certain other claims made above.

I suspect the person who made the claim about poorer families in Mcdonald's wasn't referring to down at heel aristocrats.
BTW describing what the posters calls pooter families as working class doesn't imply all working class people are poor but if it'll help you I'll rephrase what I said to So poorer people can't cook?

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 27 Aug 2019, 8:50am

Vorpal wrote:I'm no fan of McD's, but it's grossly unfair to generalise about the folks who eat there. Even if they are poor and overweight, it's hard to beat the price of the food, especially if you are feeding a family...

I beg to differ on the cost front. Cooking at home, it's perfectly possible to feed a family of four for under a fiver.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 27 Aug 2019, 8:58am

Spinners wrote:
I beg to differ on the cost front. Cooking at home, it's perfectly possible to feed a family of four for under a fiver.

Yes, I'm too mean to eat out when I can eat cheaper and better at home.
Besides, McDs is a bus trip away (though that is free to me it is a hassle and a waste of time).

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 27 Aug 2019, 9:39am

Spinners wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I'm no fan of McD's, but it's grossly unfair to generalise about the folks who eat there. Even if they are poor and overweight, it's hard to beat the price of the food, especially if you are feeding a family...

Yes, but it takes more time. And a single parent who works more than full time just to make ends meet has very little time.

When you are poor, everything takes longer. You have to use public transport, walk, cycle, or depend upon others for lifts. You have to spend more time shopping to get the best bargains on everything. Someone who doesn't have to think about every pence can do most of their weekly shopping in once place. Someone who does not have the money, may go to multiple shops on a regular basis, because they have to buy as much as possible at sale prices &/or the cheapest cost. The worst part is that it can be difficult to get the best bargains because it blows the budget to get 3 for 2 or to buy in bulk (even if you have the space to store extra).

Similarly, clothing the kids probably means spending a couple of hours per week going through the kids clothes at various charity shops, keeping an eye on Freecycle &/or eBay, Facebook groups, etc. where most folks take their kids shopping a couple of times a year and replace the stuff they've grown out of. It means spending time repairing school uniforms and worn shoes because there simply isn't money for new ones (unless you get lucky and get a replacement from Freecycle or something). It means time to make or repair other things that many other people would simply replace.

Doing laundry means going to a laundrette once every week or two because washing machines are expensive, even used. Doing laundry at a laundrette may be quicker, but it also means that it's harder to do other stuff (like cooking or cleaning) at the same time as washing. Taking the kids to McDs on laundry day, though? That not only feeds them, but also keeps them entertained while laundry is washing.

It's never as simple as feeding a family 'for under a fiver'.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom