McDonald's

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
brynpoeth

Re: McDonald's

Postby brynpoeth » 29 Aug 2019, 5:30am

Please to hop over to France
Is the menu there quite different, and the prices?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 29 Aug 2019, 7:16am

brynpoeth wrote:Please to hop over to France
Is the menu there quite different, and the prices?

Well, you can have a refreshing lager with your burger.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 29 Aug 2019, 8:12am

My memories of French MacD in Brittany was that the burgers looked closer to the images of them. You bought a big mac it was big not fiat and thin like in England. The burgers had more additions from fresher salad to actually having the odd slice, pickled gherkin plus a mayonnaise too. Basically in a different quality league.

As to menu it's basically the same products in name (see above, they are totally different in reality) with some extras. Drinks offered are greater variety and there's more stuff like proper ice cream IIRC.

All I can say if you only one British MacD then you have the worst of that company's product. France possibly has the best!

robing

Postby robing » 29 Aug 2019, 8:17am

The breakfast at the Austrian ones is really good. Ham and eggs, viennese pastries etc

Angstrom

Postby Angstrom » 1 Sep 2019, 6:56pm

Tangled Metal wrote:My memories of French MacD in Brittany was that the burgers looked closer to the images of them. You bought a big mac it was big not fiat and thin like in England. The burgers had more additions from fresher salad to actually having the odd slice, pickled gherkin plus a mayonnaise too. Basically in a different quality league.

As to menu it's basically the same products in name (see above, they are totally different in reality) with some extras. Drinks offered are greater variety and there's more stuff like proper ice cream IIRC.

All I can say if you only one British MacD then you have the worst of that company's product. France possibly has the best!

I recently heard a McD France executive on a radio program say that the widely mediatized dismantling of a McDonald's in Millau (near Larzac in France) by José Bové in 1999 (it was the 2Oth anniversary f the event), a then farmer's union leader and later European Parliament representative, was the best thing that happened to them (McD).
The union protested against USA's barring imports of French goods like Roquefort (made near Millau on Larzac plateau), and more generally against america's "junk food" and its "imperialism", spreading it throuout the worl including in France.

The reason this helped McDonald's tremendusly is that it was what triggered McDonald's HQ executives to realize that they could not impose USA standards worldwide; Thay had to take local (food) culture into account to be successful.

I don't know if they succeed in this endeavour, but they did change their menus and standards for France and ironically, France is one of the best performing McDonald's countries. This executive mentioned that had this protest not occured and had a world-wide audience, they might not have managed to get their HQ's ear.

Personally, that does not make me go there for anything else than a quick lunch when on the road (by car, not bike), once or twice a year at best.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » 1 Sep 2019, 7:07pm

While recently bicycling in France, McD was great for coffee and free wi-fi. Liked their jumbo style fries too. We did not have SIM cards for Europe, so had to rely on wi-fi.

It is what it is .....

robing

Postby robing » 2 Sep 2019, 11:15am

Last night being a Sunday McDonald's was the only thing available at the F1 Douai. Otherwise I would have starved. Now having a Happy Meal en route to calais. Extraordinary value. I'm a big fan of F1's too. Staying at another one tonight.
Last edited by robing on 13 Sep 2019, 6:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » 13 Sep 2019, 5:52pm

robing wrote:I'm a big fan of McDonald's when touring, particularly abroad. They offer lots of things for the touring cyclist. Cheap, filling calorie dense food. Good coffee. You can order and pay using the screen in English and sit down and have it brought to you. Free Wi Fi. Usually clean toilets. Courteous staff. You can usually lock your bike in full view of where your sitting. What's not to like?

Yes I totally agree. The free wifi is a gift from Heaven. You don't need to buy a SIM card if you can find a McD. After our bike tour from Orleans to Tours we rented a car and toured SW France, using McD wifi to check routes with google maps and to even book airbnb places.

The LARGE fries were nice for this Canadian who had never eaten them before at McD. :wink:

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Sep 2019, 8:52pm

Vorpal wrote:
Spinners wrote:
That's a long reply but largely at a tangent. If I was trying to "make ends meet" I'd rather spend a fiver cooking a nutritious meal at home than £15 at a fast-food joint.

And time? Really?

[...]
But I also know that different people make different judgements, and someone who has worked long hours, doesn't feel well, or simply has other things to do may decide McDs is better than packet soup, tinned spaghetti, or something else easy and fast. Because if you've worked 10 hours, commuted an hour each way & still have to get something for a school project, or new gym shorts, or just milk and bread, then cooking a nutritious meal at home from scratch and still getting kids to bed on time is an impossibility.

No, I still don't understand how travelling to Mucky D and back and queuing up to order and possibly waiting for it to be cooked (if you pick a less popular option) is quicker than cooking a quick and simple fresh meal - or if clock time isn't limited but your time is, sticking something in the oven.

I can see more reason for cash-strapped tourists resorting to it to make a change from cold food than that argument.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Sep 2019, 8:55pm

tmac100 wrote: You don't need to buy a SIM card if you can find a McD.

Other places have wifi, but I'd pay €1 for a SIM and a few more for a gig of data to avoid going in one!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 14 Sep 2019, 7:32pm

mjr wrote:No, I still don't understand how travelling to Mucky D and back and queuing up to order and possibly waiting for it to be cooked (if you pick a less popular option) is quicker than cooking a quick and simple fresh meal - or if clock time isn't limited but your time is, sticking something in the oven.

I can see more reason for cash-strapped tourists resorting to it to make a change from cold food than that argument.

Unfortunately, simple and quick home cooked food tends to be expensive. Food that isn't expensive takes longer to cook, with a few exceptions. But who wants to eat pasta with cheap jars of tomato sauce every day?

Also, if you live near McD's, or use the drive through, it *is* quick. A quick as making a frozen pizza, or 'sticking something in the oven'.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 14 Sep 2019, 9:10pm

There are all sorts of simple cheap fast healthy foods one may prepare at home
I make a big pot of lentil soup, lasts several days, good for breakfast too :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 14 Sep 2019, 9:12pm

I worry about the impact you may be having on global warming :wink:

Thehairs1970

Postby Thehairs1970 » 14 Sep 2019, 9:15pm

Vorpal wrote:Unfortunately, simple and quick home cooked food tends to be expensive. Food that isn't expensive takes longer to cook, with a few exceptions. But who wants to eat pasta with cheap jars of tomato sauce every day?

Also, if you live near McD's, or use the drive through, it *is* quick. A quick as making a frozen pizza, or 'sticking something in the oven'.

I'm sorry. I have spoken before on here in defence of McDs but to say simple and quick home cooked food tends to be expensive is ridiculous. Wholemeat pasta - £1 for 500, only need 75g per portion, tin of passata-70p, tin of sweet corn, -40p and a chorizo £3. That's the whole family fed for a fiver and will take 20mins to cook - tops. McDs will cost about £5 each and if you add in the time it takes to get there and back....

I grew up in a very deprived area and take away food was ridiculously popular. Why? It's easy and maybe the people there weren't taught how to cook. The saddest thing about this was how expensive meals were nad therefore those who needed the cash most were giving it away.

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 14 Sep 2019, 9:33pm

Vorpal wrote:
Unfortunately, simple and quick home cooked food tends to be expensive. Food that isn't expensive takes longer to cook, with a few exceptions. But who wants to eat pasta with cheap jars of tomato sauce every day?

I can only agree with the last sentence... which is why I don't.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)