McDonald's

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cyril Haearn

Re: McDonald's

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vantage wrote:Some of you seem to missing one vital reason for going to maccys/kfc/burger king/take out etc.
People just like it.
Granted, its not as posh as visiting some poncy French restaurant that charges £50 for an onion ring in 'a delicate sauce' that takes an hour to arrive at your candle lit table but, some people just happen to enjoy the simple taste of a burger and fries (sorry, CHIPS for those who like to nitpick).
Likewise, some people just enjoy a takeout.
My other half and I and the kids love going there once in a while.

I bet most of us have been to McBurger, anyone been to a fancy restaurant as described? (not me :wink:)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

There is something between McD and £50 per head for an onion ring! I suspect that was hyperbole.
John
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Bonefishblues wrote:I thought it was absolutely on the money, myself.

Except that it failed to address the cost issue raised by me. As I said it was a long reply but totally failed in that respect.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

To lighten the mood a bit.

Ben Stokes and team-mates celebrated Ashes heroics with £55 drive-thru blow-out. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49480460
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

simonhill wrote:To lighten the mood a bit.

Ben Stokes and team-mates celebrated Ashes heroics with £55 drive-thru blow-out. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49480460

To think they could have cooked a nice meal for less.

Who do they think they are? Fat, deprived people who can't cook?

Did they use the toilet?

Did they buy a large or standard coffee? The large one is just a standard watered down.

Did they not consider the evil corporation exploiting their workers and cruelly treating the cattle that makes their burgers?

And to think they definitely didn't consider the poor campaigners who bought enough happy meals to fill a trolley only to get cruelly told to get off MacD property!

I really hope none of them get a knighthood after that celebration MacD meal.

Thoroughly disgusted,

From some middle class retirement village.

:wink: :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Spinners wrote:

Except that it failed to address the cost issue raised by me. As I said it was a long reply but totally failed in that respect.

I think it did, actually, illustrating that your 'analysis', such as it was, was rather simplistic and that other factors were at play beyond the obvious. As such I thought it a very useful contribution by someone with greater insight.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangled Metal wrote:
simonhill wrote:To lighten the mood a bit.

To think they could have cooked a nice meal for less.

Who do they think they are? Fat, deprived people who can't cook?

Did they use the toilet?

Did they buy a large or standard coffee? The large one is just a standard watered down.

Did they not consider the evil corporation exploiting their workers and cruelly treating the cattle that makes their burgers?

And to think they definitely didn't consider the poor campaigners who bought enough happy meals to fill a trolley only to get cruelly told to get off MacD property!

I really hope none of them get a knighthood after that celebration MacD meal.

Thoroughly disgusted,

From some middle class retirement village.

:wink: :D

Quite right. It would never have happened when it was a Gentleman's Game.

Yes please Matron, just a snifter, what.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Aaah! The old days when you could deliberately bowl fast at the body / head to intimidate and stymy a truly great batsman. The good old days.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bonefishblues wrote:Quite right. It would never have happened when it was a Gentleman's Game.

There were Players too. Surely this lot were Players not Gentlemen. They expect to be paid.
Make mine a Pimms.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Quite right. It would never have happened when it was a Gentleman's Game.

There were Players too. Surely this lot were Players not Gentlemen. They expect to be paid.
Make mine a Pimms.

They are paid? :shock:

Cold towel required Matron.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Spinners wrote:

I think it did, actually, illustrating that your 'analysis', such as it was, was rather simplistic and that other factors were at play beyond the obvious. As such I thought it a very useful contribution by someone with greater insight.

I only took issue on cost so let's park up the other factors at play.

I'll deliberately keep it simple for you. If you were trying to make ends meet would you rather spend £5 or £15?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Spinners wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Spinners wrote:

I only took issue on cost so let's park up the other factors at play.

I'll deliberately keep it simple for you. If you were trying to make ends meet would you rather spend £5 or £15?

Very kind of you.

I would prefer to spend £5.

To return the compliment, the point being made very eloquently by Vorpal was that it's not quite as simple as that.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I wrote a long post about the aspects of struggling families and the release of getting out of the day to day grind. How MacD meals might be double the cost of a home cooked meal (we spend little over a tenner to feed two adults and one child) but the benefits beyond pounds and pence are potentially huge.

The privilege of disposable income at the level a lot on here probably have might make it hard to understand that money cannot be separated from life for everyone.

If you're putting pennies away each week not pounds then I would wager a £10 MacD means more to you than it does to me.

I've struggled a bit but not like that. I've talked to relatives who have struggled like that. The stories you hear of that life. It makes you appreciate what you do have more. But amid the tales of struggle there was the odd tale of happiness. The major takeaway I got from those tales was the escape was the happiness. That and how few they were and how strongly remembered. Gems of memory.

You cannot separate money from life if you have little. And who's to say what is right to create those memory gems?

Sorry but I've written a long post second time around. I meant to do a short one.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:I wrote a long post about the aspects of struggling families and the release of getting out of the day to day grind. How MacD meals might be double the cost of a home cooked meal (we spend little over a tenner to feed two adults and one child) but the benefits beyond pounds and pence are potentially huge.

The privilege of disposable income at the level a lot on here probably have might make it hard to understand that money cannot be separated from life for everyone.

If you're putting pennies away each week not pounds then I would wager a £10 MacD means more to you than it does to me.

I've struggled a bit but not like that. I've talked to relatives who have struggled like that. The stories you hear of that life. It makes you appreciate what you do have more. But amid the tales of struggle there was the odd tale of happiness. The major takeaway I got from those tales was the escape was the happiness. That and how few they were and how strongly remembered. Gems of memory.

You cannot separate money from life if you have little. And who's to say what is right to create those memory gems?

Sorry but I've written a long post second time around. I meant to do a short one.

Yes that reminds me. About twenty years ago we were in a Mcdonald's in Plovdiv Bulgaria. Prices seemed dirt cheap to us. There was a Bulgarian family there, parents and three children. It appeared to be one child's birthday and he had a Happy Meal. The rest of the family had nothing but watched him eat with obvious pleasure. Finding the funds for the meal was obviously not easy for that family.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
wheel71

Post by wheel71 »

Disgusting food.
Disgusting company.
And someone mentioned ben stokes who seems a disgusting person from the footage I saw....."come on you Aussies" (I'd rather support cheats than "tommy tankers" who get away with things because they can chuck and hit a ball a bit). :evil: