New ferry route - Scotland to Netherlands

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rualexander

New ferry route - Scotland to Netherlands

Post by rualexander »

Looks like a new ferry service may be about to start up between Scotland and the Netherlands, Rosyth to Groningen (Eemshaven)

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/178 ... xit-chaos/

Hopefully it gets off the ground and is able to be commercially viable in the long term.
Oldjohnw

Re: New ferry route - Scotland to Netherlands

Post by Oldjohnw »

Good news.

If only the ferry from Newcastle to Denmark and Norway could be reinstated.
John
Caledonia64

Post by Caledonia64 »

rualexander wrote:Looks like a new ferry service may be about to start up between Scotland and the Netherlands, Rosyth to Groningen (Eemshaven)

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/178 ... xit-chaos/

Hopefully it gets off the ground and is able to be commercially viable in the long term.

Indeed, and as long as it is not too costly to use, and dovetails properly in a thought through way with train times to Inverkeithing, from the North, the West and Edinburgh (as in not sailing before trains get in/arriving too late for trains that night). And that enough trains then stop at Inverkeithing.

I looked at the Rosyth to ?Zeebrugge ferry many times in its all too short lifespan but the cost (if I recall correctly at least at some point it presupposed the party travelling were doing so with a car) was rather prohibitive. I am also seeing (having recently looked at ferries) that bikes are perhaps less welcome or presumed than before. One ferry company seemed to limit it to one bike per customer (which is no good if that customer is bringing family and friends with him, all with bikes); I checked: they defined customer as the lead/paying member of the group in whose name the other passengers were booked.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I believe it can be cheaper to take a car and passengers than a single cyclist with bike on the Newcastle to Amsterdam route.
John
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Go as a foot passenger and wheel on your "luggage" ... as so many passengers do these days .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Any ferry to or from the Netherlands will have to be bike friendly as that is what quite a few Dutch customers would demand. As for train connections on the Dutch side, there is a new railway station at the ferry terminal. At the moment there are a few trains a day connecting to the ferry to Borkum. I would expect that there will also be trains connecting to this new service. If not, Roodeschool is a nearby staion.