Touring with a fold up- hard case trailer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Winged wheels

Touring with a fold up- hard case trailer?

Post by Winged wheels »

I have a dahon Vitesse hub gear bike which is serving me well. My wife has bought a Bickerton Junction which is incredibly similar but has the edge due to dynamo lighting.
We are now looking for hard cases for them but can’t find any for 20” wheels. Ideally they would convert to trailers with soft bag liners. I am sure I have seen them in the past. This would allow them to be safely stowed in coach holds. Once arrived in an area the soft bag can then go into the trailer.
Cunobelin

Re: Touring with a fold up- hard case trailer?

Post by Cunobelin »

Hard Case trailer conversions were usualy specifically designed for the machine. Bike Friday and Airnimal being examples.

The best way might be to simply find a non-bike-specific hard case to convert

Airnimal does sell the trailer kit to convert their hard case to a trailer @ £190

It may be possible to source a suitable hard case and then use this to convert the case
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Winged wheels wrote:I have a dahon Vitesse hub gear bike which is serving me well. My wife has bought a Bickerton Junction which is incredibly similar but has the edge due to dynamo lighting.
We are now looking for hard cases for them but can’t find any for 20” wheels. Ideally they would convert to trailers with soft bag liners. I am sure I have seen them in the past. This would allow them to be safely stowed in coach holds. Once arrived in an area the soft bag can then go into the trailer.

Have a look at the Radical Cyclone
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
PH

Post by PH »

You might be thinking of the Cyclone trailer, it's not cheap - EDIT m-gineering beat me too it...
https://www.radicaldesign.com/cyclone-iv-chubby

I have a trip booked on Eurolines coaches, the baggage allowance is two bags, maximum size 170cm (H+W+D) which is smaller than the packed Cyclone trailer size. I don't know how strictly this is enforced, but I wouldn't like to be half way through a trip when I found out. This is the first such trip for me, I've used National Express and Megabus in the UK with a bigger bag and been OK (Without even checking the regulations), though it wouldn't have been a disaster if I'd been turned away,
Have you any experience of folding bikes on coaches? Please do share if you have.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I had a trip planned using my Tern 24" folder (I posted on another thread about it). The impression I got was that a well packed folder would be fine in the UK. I wanted to camp so that made things more complicated and in the end decided that I didn't want the weight on the folder. But I also concluded that that meant not being able to travel by coach. Sorry if that is a bit vague but it also implies that a hard case might not be necessary.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
rjb

Post by rjb »

I used the Falcon Flyer earlier in the year ( same company as Megabus) on a return from Bristol Airport to Taunton. They picked up a passenger with a normal non folding bike with no cover and just slotted it into the luggage hold. He was heading further down towards Plymouth. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Winged wheels

Post by Winged wheels »

Thank you.
Bristol is my local so good to hear positive approach from the flyer.
I have taken it on National in a soft bag from Bristol and was told by the driver- no bikes but the safest place for it would be that end of the hold opening the appropriate door and turning his back. I thanked him and he smiled. In Norwich he unloaded and said no problem but in Bristol there’s CCTV so he has to be careful in being sensible. Best to load up your sports bag I guess.
PH

Post by PH »

Winged wheels wrote:I have taken it on National in a soft bag from Bristol and was told by the driver- no bikes but the safest place for it would be that end of the hold opening the appropriate door and turning his back. I thanked him and he smiled. In Norwich he unloaded and said no problem but in Bristol there’s CCTV so he has to be careful in being sensible. Best to load up your sports bag I guess.

That's a bit of a concern*, if the bag is within the size and weight of allowable luggage, I don't understand why it would be be disallowed. As long as it's not in anyway harmful to the other luggage I don't see why it's any concern what's in the bag.
*Not least because I'm off to Spain with Eurolines who's luggage policy also states no bikes...