Edinburgh to Carsisle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PJ520

Edinburgh to Carsisle

Post by PJ520 »

Is there a route that approximately follows the old Waverley railway line from E to C? Sustrans appears to have nothing. Alternatively I'm looking for touring in the Borders this coming October, so any suggestions are appreciated. A couple of years ago I rode from Berwick to Appleby and was enchanted by the area.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Oldjohnw

Re: Edinburgh to Carsisle

Post by Oldjohnw »

You can ride almost anywhere in the Border. There are a couple of Sustrans routes including #1. Traffic is modest apart from the various N-S routes.

Also Borders Abbey Route is worth a look at and the Rievers route
John
Paulatic

Re: Edinburgh to Carlisle

Post by Paulatic »

Have you read The Rambling Fatman?
For me the default scenic route E to C is> Innerleithen > Gordon Arms >Eskdalemuir > Langholm > Longtown or even a detour via Copshawholme ( Newcastleton )
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cyclop

Re: Edinburgh to Carlisle

Post by cyclop »

Paulatic wrote:Have you read The Rambling Fatman?
For me the default scenic route E to C is> Innerleithen > Gordon Arms >Eskdalemuir > Langholm > Longtown or even a detour via Copshawholme ( Newcastleton )

Nice route.Alternately,Hawick>Newcastleton>Canonbie>back lanes>Gretna>service rd running parallel to M6>join A7 near junc.44>into Carlisle.This is probably the easiest way into Carlisle.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

PJ520 wrote:Is there a route that approximately follows the old Waverley railway line from E to C? Sustrans appears to have nothing. Alternatively I'm looking for touring in the Borders this coming October, so any suggestions are appreciated. A couple of years ago I rode from Berwick to Appleby and was enchanted by the area.

Look at a map which has the old railway line marked on it and follow the suitable roads that are closest to it?
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

I would take the same route as Paulatic as far as Eskdalemuir, but would go the Castle O’er way from there to Paddockhole. It is probably a bit more hilly but I don’t like riding the A7 and don’t know if there is a reasonable alternative. Navigation might be a bit more tricky South of Paddockhole, I would probably go via Waterbeck and Eaglesfield to pick up the B7076 to Gretna and follow the back roads by the M6 to Carlisle. I don’t recall seeing any evidence of old railway lines along the route.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Try here

https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/info/200 ... 97/cycling

If you avoid the A68 and the A7 the cycling will be great.