Cheap luggage?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Si

Cheap luggage?

Post by Si »

Thoughts on expensive luggage.

For a week long tour I have several options: panniers (rubbish off road), rack top bag (a pain to take off and put on because mine has all kinds of velcro everywhere), Carradice long flap camper (can't mount SQR to carbon post, or the carradice QR on my saddle, plus I find it a ain to carry off the bike), or bikepacking kit (too expensive + a pain to get anything out the bottom of the bag).

So the solution: second hand rack (£5er), office in-try (<£5er), ruck sack from Mountain Warehouse sale (<£10er), couple of bungies & rucksack cover out the shed.

Result: not too heavy, can get loads on, great for carrying off the bike, holds heavy lock in place, rain proof, dead easy to remove and remount bag at stops.

Cheap? Moi?

rjb

Re: Cheap luggage?

Post by rjb »

:D :D :D :D :D
Great idea. I have used a supermarket shopping basket strapped on my rack but yours is much neater.
here it is on the trike.
The orange handles are a giveaway. Its held on by a single tie to the brake bridge.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Perfect use of an office tray....after putting the offending paperwork in the bin!!

Looks good.

Cheers James
Si

Post by Si »

I have used a supermarket shopping basket strapped on my rack

That looks neat. I got the idea for doing this after having a similar basket strapped to my commuter bike....after years of using various other things like rack top bags, saddle bags, panniers, etc I think that this is the best (if least fashionable) solution I've found!