Great North Trail

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: Great North Trail

Post by Vorpal »

This is the number on their blog page 07719678729

https://capewrathferry.wordpress.com/ra ... -services/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hamish

Post by hamish »

This is the number on their blog page 07719678729

https://capewrathferry.wordpress.com/ra ... -services/

I think that is the number for the now retired ferryman. The new ferryman is his son. Looking through my phone history I think his number is: 07719 544207.

We went over at the end of September. He said he was taking the boat out of the water a few days later.
coinneach

Post by coinneach »

Yep..... closed for the winter
Pity
Adnepos

Post by Adnepos »

Sweep wrote:..but does anyone have any idea what the situation will be like with regard to barriers/obstructions?
For I would be using panniers.

Plan to do GNT Spring 2020 (Cape Wrath destination) and am kitting out for bikepacking at the moment.

From all the information available, it can be done on a tourer/panniers but there's also mention of gravel or mtb/bags. So what is the best set-up for this route? Just so you know, I have no intention of cycling up Jacob's Ladder fully-laden but would like to be pedalling for most of the time. Given that I shall probably do this in three stages, I could change my setup to suit the terrain. Thoughts welcome.

I also wonder how many mobile phone blackspots there are at various points. I will not be allowed out 'to play' unless I guarantee that I can be tracked at minimum 50% of the day so I suspect that I'll need satellite tracking (Spot or inReach) from beginning to end. Thoughts again, please!
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

Adnepos wrote:
Sweep wrote:..but does anyone have any idea what the situation will be like with regard to barriers/obstructions?
For I would be using panniers.

Plan to do GNT Spring 2020 (Cape Wrath destination) and am kitting out for bikepacking at the moment.

From all the information available, it can be done on a tourer/panniers but there's also mention of gravel or mtb/bags. So what is the best set-up for this route? Just so you know, I have no intention of cycling up Jacob's Ladder fully-laden but would like to be pedalling for most of the time. Given that I shall probably do this in three stages, I could change my setup to suit the terrain. Thoughts welcome.

I also wonder how many mobile phone blackspots there are at various points. I will not be allowed out 'to play' unless I guarantee that I can be tracked at minimum 50% of the day so I suspect that I'll need satellite tracking (Spot or inReach) from beginning to end. Thoughts again, please!

I don’t think there’s many think a touring bike is suitable, maybe something like a thorn sterling, but not a traditional tourer. Max, the guide author, recommends a hard tail MTB (though many gravel bikes are almost that nw anyway)

There’s an official group on Facebook with some good photos: https://www.facebook.com/groups/greatnorthtrail/
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Adnepos wrote:I also wonder how many mobile phone blackspots there are at various points. I will not be allowed out 'to play' unless I guarantee that I can be tracked at minimum 50% of the day so I suspect that I'll need satellite tracking (Spot or inReach) from beginning to end. Thoughts again, please!

I wonder how often you got outside on your own in the 80s or earlier. Well you did ask!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Adnepos wrote:[

You might be very surprised IMOE we seem to have better mobile reception in our hills than the many black spots I’ve experienced along our coastline.
As for tracking I’d just turn it off and save your battery :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Going over the Great North Trail on the online route guide, it doesn't show the 'Settle Loop', which is mentioned in the guidebook but without details for the actual route.
Does anyone know if details of this diversion exist?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Settle Loop
FABD690D-F829-4D93-96DF-35063F513FFB.jpeg

Which on OSM looks like this and known as Settle Loop.
0D816279-02D1-47EC-809C-97AF037F8C0F.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

Doesn’t show it?

9C603532-0A57-4F71-A56D-88F9E604CDAD.jpeg
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Paulatic wrote:Settle Loop
FABD690D-F829-4D93-96DF-35063F513FFB.jpeg

Which on OSM looks like this and known as Settle Loop.
0D816279-02D1-47EC-809C-97AF037F8C0F.jpeg

Many thanks.
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Zulu Eleven wrote:Doesn’t show it?

Doesn't show it in any detail in the book, and not at all on the online map.

Paulatic's OSM is enough for me to trace the route on an OS map.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

soapbox wrote:

Official leaflet here if it helps

https://egwt.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com ... eaflet.pdf
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Zulu Eleven wrote:
soapbox wrote:

Official leaflet here if it helps

https://egwt.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com ... eaflet.pdf

Yes that does help. Excellent. Thank you.