Gospel Pass

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TrevA

Re: Gospel Pass

Post by TrevA »

Did the ride today, from the south side. We stopped off at Llanthony Priory for a couple of photos then carried on to the top, where it was very windy but lovely views. We dropped down into Hay for lunch at the Shepherds Parlour, then headed towards Talgarth on minor roads through Velindre. We originally intended to ride back up the A479 to Crickhowell, but it appeared to be closed to through traffic, so we carried on to Llangorse, then Bwlch, then about a mile on the A40, and turned right to Llanganydir and over the narrow stone bridge over the River. We followed the minor road to Llangattock, Gilwern then over to Govilon and back into Abergavenny.

A lovely ride. We hardly saw any cars on the climb up the Gospel Pass and it was reasonably sheltered until we got to the top. A bit showery after lunch and a nagging Westerly wind made progress slow until we got to Bwlch.

Edited for typo.
Last edited by TrevA on 5 Sep 2019, 8:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
pwa

Post by pwa »

TrevA wrote:Did the ride today, from the south side. We stopped off at Llanthony Priory for a couple of photos then carried on to the top, where it was very windy but lovely views. We dropped down into Hay for lunch at the Shepherds Parlour, then headed towards Talgarth on minor roads through Velindre. We originally intended to ride back up the A479 to Crickhowell, but it appeared to be closed to through traffic, so we carried on to Llangorse, then Bwlch, then about a mile on the A40, and turned right to Llanganydir and over the narrow stone bridge over the River. We followed the minor road to Llangattock, Gilwern then over to Govilon and back into Abergavenny.

A lovely ride. We hardly saw any cars on the climb up the Gospel Pass and it was reasonably sheltered until we got to the top. A bit showery after lunch and a nagging Westerly wind made progress slow until we Giro to Bwlch.

As you started to cross the old stone bridge over the Usk at Llangynidr the land to your right is known as Buckland, and there is a Buckland Hall. I was down there a few weeks ago and I did wonder if Tolkien may have had that place in mind when he wrote of a Buckland in the Shire, an enclave of the Shire that was across the Brandywine River. The landscape certainly fits. Tolkien stayed nearby in 1940 and it is hard to believe that this Buckland beside a river crossing was not partly at least the origin of the Buckland in the Lord of the Rings.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Glad you enjoyed it Trev.
There's some lovely countryside with quiet lanes and stupendous views in that area.
I'm not going to tell you my favourite bit though, :wink: :lol:
Hopefully you'll come back and do some more,
fausto.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Off to do the Tumble today.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

A few photos from our recent rides.
Attachments
Windy at the top of the Gospel!
Windy at the top of the Gospel!
Mrs A at the top of the Tumble
Mrs A at the top of the Tumble
Near the top of the Gospel Pass looking south.
Near the top of the Gospel Pass looking south.
Llanthony Priory
Llanthony Priory
Llanthony Priory
Llanthony Priory
pwa

Post by pwa »

Nice pics. I always find that I feel more alive when walking or cycling in that part of the world.