Gospel Pass

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TrevA

Gospel Pass

Post by TrevA »

We are off to South Wales in a couple of days and we are hoping to ride over the Gospel Pass. We will be based in Abergavenny so it would make senses to do it South to North, but is that the best way? And does anyone have a circuit that takes in the Pass and returns us to Abergavenny?

We could of course ride it both ways!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cyril Haearn

Re: Gospel Pass, Bwlch yr Efengyl

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Riding it both ways, I recommend
On the way back you know the route, know of any problems, roadworks etc
Easy to find the way, retrace
It is psychologically easier if you are a bit tired
Going back, the views are completely different
+4 reasons!
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 1 Sep 2019, 8:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
robing

Re: Gospel Pass

Post by robing »

I did it north to south when I did Lon Las Cymru last year . Spectacular, a hidden gem .
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

We rode Gospel Pass north to south as part of Lôn Las this year, stunning views.
20190618_121606.jpg

The lovely little country church at Capel-Y-Ffin on the decent is worth a visit too.
IMG_20190618_125511875_HDR.jpg

My impression is that the S to N climb is longer but more gradual.

Rob
whoof

Post by whoof »

I think South to North is better. The climb this way is more enclosed, narrow and twisty. The descent more open so you can see what's coming (other than sheep).
For a loop depends if you want to go to Hay on Wye then back via Llanigon. If you don't you can turn off left opposite (steep desent) Hay Bluff then back via Talgarth, Llangorse, Llangynidr and Crickhowell.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

+1 for south to north because you will be climbing slowly up some narrow, steep, locally potholed, twisty, enclosed, gloomy sections on the south side. In contrast, sight lines and road surfaces are better on the north side so it is good for rapid descending.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Personally I'd go south to north, enjoy a nice lunch and pootle around Hay and then return via the gorgeous Golden Valley.
fausto.
PH

Post by PH »

I prefer to climb from the North, it unfolds in front of you, from the South you sort of get to the top without seeing it. It's all good, hope you get a nice day for it.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Both Rotavator and PH are correct. :D I think I would go S to N as then the obvious way home is westish to Talgarth and over to Crickhowell. That road is a great fast descent but going up is less fun and its not the best for passing vehicles.
Better still get the map out and follow the yellow roads.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PH wrote:I prefer to climb from the North, it unfolds in front of you, from the South you sort of get to the top without seeing it. It's all good, hope you get a nice day for it.

I think that's a fair assessment.

I'd add that it depends how you deal with "steep". The north side is either a heck of a climb, or a pretty sketchy descent (mainly lower down) - if either of these bother you, best to route to avoid!

Talking of descents ... southbound is a little frustrating as it's a poor surface, but not very steep, so again it depends on what you like.

*personally* I'd go S-N, then to return, take the high-level road on the East side of the ridge - it overlooks the Golden Valley, and contours along quite nicely to avoid much extra climbing.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I much prefer it from the Hay on Wye side (the north) because I find it much easier to pace myself that way. It starts as a series of steps with short steepish ramps followed by flats or slight descents, then climb again. To avoid getting pooped too soon I would take it really easy on this approach section, coasting when possible. Then comes the only testy bit immediately after a cattle grid, with a properly steep bit for a few hundred metres.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0482035 ... 6?hl=en-GB

It is worth putting effort in here because as soon as you get to the open common the gradient suddenly slackens and you can recover. From there to the top it is mostly steady with one or two slightly steeper bits, and the top section can be interesting if it is very windy. But overall it is a classic climb and one to savour.

https://cycle.travel/map?from=Hay%20on% ... -3.0140809

Although it involves some retracing, the road through Longtown is a good way to get to Hay from Abergavenny.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0119133 ... 6?hl=en-GB

Mostly very quiet, not silly steep, just a couple of corners requiring care.
Last edited by pwa on 2 Sep 2019, 6:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

South to North is one of my most favourite loops EVER (yes, I'm six'ish).

Go over the pass to Hay and well deserved 2nd tea (1st being at Llanthony - pub or priory). From Hay, over to Talgarth (another great cafe in the mill (can you tell why I like this ride yet?).

Now, if its a quiet part of the day, the A479 is a nice steady climb. But there is also a great dead-end road (Penbont Road) out of Talgarth that will take you up almost all the way. A quick scurry over a walkers style at the end and you're almost at the top. And then its a lovely glide downhill almost all the way to Crickhowell (more great cafes).

I've ridden the A40 between Crickhowell and Aber' many times with no issue. Outside of rush hours and lunch time its okay but nothing to shout about in scenic terms. Others may know if the canal path is usable between the two. If so, that would make a lovely days ride (assuming the Welsh weather plays along - my partner will never forgive an attempt on the Gospel pass that was eventually abandoned due to the ice forming on the bikes stopping gear changes).
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

I have this route from Abergavenny over Gospel Pass and onto a good food spot called the Honey Pot at Bronllys
Abergavenny_to_Honey_Pot (map).png

I don't appear to be able to attach the PDF but f you PM me I can forward a link.
pwa

Post by pwa »

What is clear from all these answers is that there are quite a few good options here. This is a fabulous area for cycling and there are so many good roads to choose from. The final choice will be a personal one based on personal priorities.

The route to Hay via Talgarth, for me personally, is very good after Talgarth where very minor roads form a direct route almost all the way to Hay. I cycled that last year and it was very enjoyable. But to get to Talgarth from Tretower involves some trunk road, which for me is less enjoyable. Not a deal breaker, but just not up to the high standard of other roads in the area. The A40 is just one of those roads you get through as quickly as possible, and breath a sigh of relief when you get off it and the traffic subsides. I'd do extra miles to avoid it.

My own priority in that region would be seeking out very quiet lanes simply because there are lanes around there that are quieter than you will find in most of the UK and it seems a shame not to experience them. That is why my choice of outward route would be the narrow lane that goes to the east of the Black Mountains through Longtown and enters Hay via Cusop. On that fairly direct route you can cycle a mile without meeting a motor vehicle. And if you want it there is, I think, a pub and a village shop up there somewhere. Proper food at the Granary in Hay.

But again, this is all personal preference and you are spoilt for choice. Perhaps the best choice is to stay there a week and do all these routes.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have done it from both sides, on the first time in the dark.... the next time I wondered how I ever got over it in the dark given how narrow it is.....

Take the side diversion Cwmyoy Church... at little gem.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cwmyo ... 4d-3.01669
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells