Lisbon to Paris

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
charliepolecat

Lisbon to Paris

Post by charliepolecat »

Is there any such thing as a fast but safe route (tip of the hat to Mick F) from Lisbon to Paris?
Caledonia64

Re: Lisbon to Paris

Post by Caledonia64 »

I suppose not fast but there is the reverse Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage (starting in Lisbon - then to SdeC then follow it back to Bayonne and up to Paris).

There is a Lisbon Paris (night) train that goes via Coimbra, Cuidad Rodrigo, Medina del Campo (wherethru passed every single train in Spain in the 80s, it seemed), Valldolid, Burgos (on the SdeC route so YH) Vitoria Gasteiz (ditto so YH), Pamplona, Irun-Hendaye up to Bayonne/Biarritz (ditto SdeC route).

BikeMap has a selection of routes as does CycleTravel (is it) and you can amend or make your own. Bikemap shows altitude (in some of the map options) and cycle paths/ways/routes (premium feature), plus a heatmap of the most oft travel ways (that may be premium feature). If yoi switch between the maps offered you can find the one listing facilities such as YH and campsites
There are notable mountains along the edge of Portugal (bits of it at least) and surrounding Valldolid, plus encounters with the Pyrenees.

I cycled from South of Santiago de Compostela to Coimbra (via Tuy, Porto, Viana, Avero, Figueira da Foz, mainly on a coastal route, back in 1985, which was enjoyable, and also did some cycling around Puebla de Sanabria (higher up). I think if I were doing it I would cycle:

Lisbon - Sintra - Obidos/Caldas da Rainha - Nazare -Leiria (or Fatima, and there is a fantastic Abbey at Tomar) Coimbra - Porto (or Viseu) - Viana do Castelo - Ourense - Leon (or Lugo I suppose), Oviedo (where i have never been but always aspired to), Gijon, Santander, (skirt Bilbao), possibly go via Pamplona because,..., Donostia-San Sebastian, Irun, Hendaya, Bayonne, through Les Landes, Bordeaux, *La Rochelle, Nantes, Angers*, Le Mans, Paris (** I know this area but that was as a teenager). From La Rochelle you could also go via Poitiers, Tours, Orleans but that looks higher climbs.

I don't think any way is fast and speedy because what you may gain in kilometres traversing Portugal and North-Central Spain will have its factoring in of climbs/mountains. A route that takes in the Camino de Santiago (Lisbon-SdeC-Biarritz [-Paris] has a bit of the longer flatter but also some of the higher mountains aspect but would have more turn up and see accomodation (though if you are not doing the Camino I am not sure how that stands).
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Thanks for that. It's a long way then? :roll:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

This route has it at about 2,200 kms, easily found on google https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/1626578/

You need to be more specific with your needs - "fast but safe" means different things to different people. Nonetheless, there is plenty of fun to be had planning your own route to suit what and how you want to ride.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Just about 1,375 miles then. Worth a look. Thanks.
Amol

Post by Amol »

charliepolecat wrote:Is there any such thing as a fast but safe route (tip of the hat to Mick F) from Lisbon to Paris?

Hello – what route did you decide on finally? I'm cycling from London to Barcelona (via Bordeaux, Bilbao and Zaragoza). I'm doing Ride With GPS daily routes and hoping I might steal some of your wisdom in case our routes crossover.

I will be stopping in the following cities so I think there could be crossover with your route: Paris, Chartres, Orleans, Tours, Poitiers, Cognac, Bordeaux, Parentis-en-Born, Hossegor, San Sebastian, Bilbao.