Geneva to Lille

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
endlessride

Geneva to Lille

Postby endlessride » 13 Sep 2019, 12:15pm

I'm planning a trip from Geneva area to Lille. Across the Jura, skirting the Voges through Lorraine then the Ardennes. It follows the Trans-Ardennes cycle path along the way.

I have done some planning on Komoot, however I really do not know this area at all. As anyone any suggestions on routes to follow along the way? Places I should visit?

Thanks

ImageGVA to Lille by Jefferies family, on Flickr

Vorpal

Re: Geneva to Lille

Postby Vorpal » 13 Sep 2019, 2:38pm

I've done bits at either end of your proposed route, but not cycled from Geneva to Lille.

If it were me, I think I would use La Meuse à Vélo (Eurovelo 19) at least until Givet. the last bit, on the Trans-Ardennes greenway is really nice. I haven't ridden the rest, but would like to.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Bogawski

Postby Bogawski » 13 Sep 2019, 2:41pm

Verdun is very interesting, visit the memorial and underground hospital, bit of an eye opener. Looks a nice route.

endlessride

Postby endlessride » 18 Sep 2019, 9:18am

Thanks for your help. The Meuse cycle route (and Verdun) are currently on the route. I was wondering if I should try and take in the Vosges mountains, I keep seeing the Planches des Belles Fillles on the tour and it looks nice. Trouble is it puts in a bit of a dog leg and it might be a bit too hilly!

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 18 Sep 2019, 10:17am

endlessride wrote:Thanks for your help. The Meuse cycle route (and Verdun) are currently on the route. I was wondering if I should try and take in the Vosges mountains, I keep seeing the Planches des Belles Fillles on the tour and it looks nice. Trouble is it puts in a bit of a dog leg and it might be a bit too hilly!

That your route include the Meuse was not obvious to me from your picture. The route on your picture looks like it runs east of the the Meuse.

As for the Planche des Belles Filles, maybe you can plan for both alternatives & decide when you are there, depending upon weather, how you feel, etc.?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Thehairs1970

Postby Thehairs1970 » 18 Sep 2019, 8:15pm

Go to Nancy. It's beautiful.