Iphone opencyclemap offline

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
radek

Iphone opencyclemap offline

Post by radek »

Dear colleagues:)

I am wondering if anyone knows of a way or a app for iPhone that enables offline opencyclemap for gps navigation?

On android phone, I used to have Lucus app that allowed me to use opencyclemap offline but there is no Locus for iPhone... I really miss this app :(
steve71ni

Re: Iphone opencyclemap offline

Post by steve71ni »

Pocket Earth.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MapOut.

Clearest mapping available for the iPhone and includes a overlay for cyclepaths (i.e. in Settings enable showing cyclepaths)

https://www.mapout.app

But it does not do turn by turn navigation. You could download a route to the app or draw a route using the app (though that functionality was made rather "challenging" by a recent release and developers still have to fix it) and follow the lin eon the map but does nt do "turn left at the next roundabout" type "navigation".

Download maps you want at home over Wi-Fi so you don't need any data connection whilst out and about.

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

MapOut functions offline but wouldn’t give TBT navigation.
You can import a route to it or make a route with it which will give you a line to follow. It as has a "Bicycle Network" overlay, amongst others, which allows you to immediately see the course of ncn route #.

Haha Pasmathe woke before me :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
softlips

Post by softlips »

I use the Cyclemaps app when commuting in cities I don’t know. It works well for commutes but I’ve not tried it for a recreational ride.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Pocket Earth has a navigation mode which will give you turn-by-turn directions
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

bohrsatom wrote:Pocket Earth has a navigation mode which will give you turn-by-turn directions

Needs to be online to create a route though
F9551763-A354-4B2F-B9DC-DD934AC5EE38.jpeg

E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cartograph is available on the iphone it seems

https://apps.apple.com/ro/app/cartograp ... 1082995961

it can use online Openstreet/Opencycle maps or offline OpenAndromaps. I use this on my windows phone and is pretty good. The viewer isnt free about £5 but the maps are ( though donation suggested) The offline maps for GB are about 800mb

This is an example of the AndroMaps. It seems these are a favourite with hikers as they show all sorts of tracks and paths as the example demonstrates. Andro maps are based on OpenstreetMaps. There are various overlays for eg mtb or cycling

AndroMaps.jpg

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cartograph
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Paulatic wrote:
bohrsatom wrote:Pocket Earth has a navigation mode which will give you turn-by-turn directions

Needs to be online to create a route though
F9551763-A354-4B2F-B9DC-DD934AC5EE38.jpeg

Hmm good point!

Perhaps you could create your route in the wonderful MapOut app, previously mentioned by Psamathe, import it to Pocket Earth then navigate away?
MapOut appears to export GPX Tracks, and PE navigates GPX routes only. Wonder if there’s a way to convert between the two (offline of course)...
climo

Post by climo »

radek wrote:Dear colleagues:)

I am wondering if anyone knows of a way or a app for iPhone that enables offline opencyclemap for gps navigation?

On android phone, I used to have Lucus app that allowed me to use opencyclemap offline but there is no Locus for iPhone... I really miss this app :(

Osmand
radek

Post by radek »

Thanks a lot for the advice !

I got the mapsout in my phone. It seams to be better then locus. Really easy to use.

Thanks !!!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

climo wrote:
radek wrote:Dear colleagues:)

Osmand

+1 for osmand.
No idea if runs on an iphone.
Sweep
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sweep wrote:]
+1 for osmand.

It does, and I’ve installed it a couple of times to give it a try. Always ended up giving up with it maybe the Android version is more intuitive.
Just not as easy to use as MapOut on IOS.

E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:
Sweep wrote:]
+1 for osmand.

It does, and I’ve installed it a couple of times to give it a try. Always ended up giving up with it maybe the Android version is more intuitive.
Just not as easy to use as MapOut on IOS.

I also have OsmAND on my iPhone and ... it ain't good. When 1st released on the iPhone it was "feature limited" (i.e. not the same functionality as on Android). I've not monitored updates but most seem bug fixes (and there were/are plenty of bugs to fix).

I find OsmAND's User Interface a mess. The routing rarely works for me and you have to split your day ride into several shorter sections to get it to create a route by which time I've gone online and used cycle.travel (faster and easier) or if no coverage my Garmin GPS creates routes better.

Use MapOut all the time, not used OsmAND for long time now.

Ian
hamster

Post by hamster »

Scout GPS works OK and uses offline mapping.