Corsica > Morocco (October > december) - endless route options!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mrgrieves

Corsica > Morocco (October > december) - endless route options!

Post by mrgrieves »

I’ve wrangled a free lift to Corsica with a sailing mate. Likely leaving late sept if the weather suits. They’ll sail on and I’ll stay there. Possibly try squeeze in a hike of the gr20.

Vague idea at the moment is to cycle down Corsica to Sardinia and take the ferry back to the continent.

Then I need to be in Morocco mid December to meet my mother.

I know very little of Spain. Nothing of Corsica or Sardinia. I think I’d like to get over to Portugal and Asturias, but I feel like I might be pushing it for time. Maybe I should dedicate more time to Morocco?

I’ll probablt need to get back to the UK on the ferry or train (ferry likely cheaper, unless I can find cheap busses), so I probably need to cycle to Santander after Morocco... if I still have the funds.

I could ditch the bike with someone along the journey and hitch the rest of the way, though I suspect cycling Morocco would be the most unique part of the experience?

I like to squeeze in a few multiday hikes where I can.

So, lots of options, and very little direction. Folks who’ve been around this part of the world: What would you suggest? All ideas and wisdom welcome!

Money is super tight so wildcamping and couchsurfing the whole way so far (and the next few months).
Mike Sales

Re: Corsica > Morocco (October > december) - endless route options!

Post by Mike Sales »

mrgrieves wrote:I’ve wrangled a free lift to Corsica with a sailing mate.

A good friend or a big yacht. Space is limited afloat.
Sea water is not good for a bike.
I have seen yachts carrying bikes on deck, lashed to the rails. Appalling.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mrgrieves

Post by mrgrieves »

Yes I am aware. Precautions will be taken.
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Morocco - the north of the country is largely industrial and agricultural, fairly dull and has generic Mediterranean scenery.

Make your way to the Atlas mountains further south for some heavenly touring. I copied this tour (albeit not their failed first day) and it was superb. Maroc is also very cheap and BA flights there/back are peanuts.

[youtube]XaNw530z6MI[/youtube]
mrgrieves

Post by mrgrieves »

Made it to Corsica now, managed to avoid getting salty water on the bike (at least, less than got on the bike while cycling along the waterfront on my way away from the boat) and the first hour was very promisingly exciting riding. I’ve stores my bike with a warm showers person for ten days to walk the north half of the gr20

willswitchengage wrote:SNIP

Thanks! I won’t be flying (cycle touring appeals as a low/no carbon form of travelling), so getting the bike back to the UK might be an interesting experience. I may not bother - it is a £80 second hand hybrid that I like very much but haven’t put a lot of money into so it wouldn’t be a huge loss to donate it at the end of my trip.

Thanks for the video - did you have any bits you did/didn’t like? Any things you wish you did ?
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

mrgrieves wrote:Thanks for the video - did you have any bits you did/didn’t like? Any things you wish you did ?

Just be weary that as you get further off the beaten path the local kids can become pests. I had stones thrown at me and some chase after you grabbing your bike and panniers, got a bit scary at times. As always there's a risk of Delhi belly from the local food - I suffered a bit from this. And remember your sunscreen! The country is pretty toursisty and the locals seem to think white person = tourist = money which can get annoying as they hassle you a lot. Some are helpful though, at one point I was looking a bit lost in a village as it was getting dark looking for a place to stay (there was a sign saying 'guesthouse this way' but I couldn't locate it) and I had a thrown thrust against me by a local who gave me instructions in English on how to find it. Bingo!