Round the world 2020/21

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Round the world 2020/21

Post by robing »

Decision made. Leaving June 2020 to cycle across USA, then NZ, Aus, se Asia. Will fly direct from Bangkok to Almaty and join the tda tour to the Pamir highway July 2021. Will leave the tour at Samarkand and make my way back to the UK independently from there. All the countries I will be travelling through are either visa free or evisa (partly why I am choosing to miss out China, Mongolia, Russia - and Iran :wink: )
doodah

Re: Round the world 2020/21

Post by doodah »

Decision made...... well, thats a good start at least. Seems as though you will be against the prevailing winds all the time?

May I enquire who you have used regarding insurance - if any at all?

As regards going solo again after Samarakand, are you thinking that you will be able to cycle home in 90 days should visas be necessary for us post Brexit?

Are you going to 'wing it' with the evisas on the hoof or have you calculated and predetermined your exits and arrivals?

I only ask because I want to do something similar in the other direction or at least as far as Kazakhstan - dependent upon sale of home:(

Thanks
robing

Post by robing »

doodah wrote:Decision made...... well, thats a good start at least. Seems as though you will be against the prevailing winds all the time?

May I enquire who you have used regarding insurance - if any at all?

As regards going solo again after Samarakand, are you thinking that you will be able to cycle home in 90 days should visas be necessary for us post Brexit?

Are you going to 'wing it' with the evisas on the hoof or have you calculated and predetermined your exits and arrivals?

I only ask because I want to do something similar in the other direction or at least as far as Kazakhstan - dependent upon sale of home:(

Thanks

I guess the wind direction is probably one reason why most cyclists go the other way? Not sure how predictable wind direction is when you are looking at a global tour over 18 months?

Haven't looked in to insurance yet.

Samarkand to home - the 90 days would only apply once back in the EU (and that may not happen by then - this is 2 years away). So 3 months to get home from the Turkish/Bulgarian border shouldn't be too much of a problem - it's about 1800 miles, so at 50 miles per day that's only 36 days of continous riding.

I need to double check re evisas. Kazakhstan is 30 days but if you leave you can re enter and it starts again. Uzbek is only 30 days so that might be tough as it's a long way end to end.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

robing wrote:Not sure how predictable wind direction is when you are looking at a global tour over 18 months?

Most use the climate data to figure out the 'normal' wind direction.

Of course only 'normal average' people get the climate, the rest of us get the 'weather'. and that is a little or a lot different from the climate. :lol:
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

Good for you, and good luck with you planning and actual tour! Please make further posts on here as you make progress
Regarding going the "wrong way" and facing headwinds, I've just completed a bicycle tour from Brazil to Canada, ie South to North, and was constantly told that was also the "wrong way" to do it. In truth, it really wasn't that bad and I'd honestly have no hesitation doing it again if I could. The one benefit of going "the wrong way" is that I constantly met new riders going "the right way" and we shared first hand, up to info with each other about the route ahead
robing

Post by robing »

Kapalasa wrote:Good for you, and good luck with you planning and actual tour! Please make further posts on here as you make progress
Regarding going the "wrong way" and facing headwinds, I've just completed a bicycle tour from Brazil to Canada, ie South to North, and was constantly told that was also the "wrong way" to do it. In truth, it really wasn't that bad and I'd honestly have no hesitation doing it again if I could. The one benefit of going "the wrong way" is that I constantly met new riders going "the right way" and we shared first hand, up to info with each other about the route ahead

Thank you. That's an amazing tour, have you got a blog or website?
When Mark Beaumont did his first RTW cycle he faced crippling headwinds in Australia going the 'right' way.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

While the prevailing world wind may be westerly, there are plenty of regional variations.

Take the Monsoon. Winter is NE, summer is SW, all due to large scale pressure systems.

In Oz, there are seasonal winds, but like everywhere they don't always blow the right way. I battled cold Antarctic Sou-Easters all the way across S Australia, when it should have been blowing warm ones on my back.

On shorter trips you can plan for the winds, but on a long multi season/year trip you are going to hit the fan somewhere.
Last edited by simonhill on 29 Sep 2019, 1:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

robing wrote:
Kapalasa wrote:Good for you, and good luck with you planning and actual tour! Please make further posts on here as you make progress

Thank you. That's an amazing tour, have you got a blog or website?
When Mark Beaumont did his first RTW cycle he faced crippling headwinds in Australia going the 'right' way.

The blog for my tour is http://www.teampieusa.wordpress.com
robing

Post by robing »

simonhill wrote:While the prevailing world wind may be westerly, there are plenty of regional variations.

Take the Monsoon. Winter is NE, summer is SW, all due to large scale pressure systems.

In Oz, there are seasonal winds, but like everywhere they don't always blow the right way. I battled cold Antarctic Sou-Easters all the way across S Australia, when it should have been blowing warm ones on my back.

On shorter trips you can plan for the winds, but on a long multi season/year trip you are going to hit the fan somewhere.

Would leave July 2020 - USA - NZ - AUS - SE Asia.

I need to pick your brains on SE Asia. I'll be there probably March 2021 onwards which probably isn't the best time - but hopefully shouldn't be too wet then.
I'd go Perth - Singapore then cycle up through Malaysia, Thailand with possibly an excursion to Cambodia. I've been to Vietnam before so not too fussed about that. Then maybe S Korea +- Japan May/June which would have a better climate at that time of year. Then fly to Almaty.

I think I might stay with the supported tour from Almaty all the way to Istanbul. Would take out the stress of getting back from Uzbekistan solo to the UK. They do go through Turkmenistan and Iran!! That would be an amazing experience and maybe a little scary. I think they organise group visas for both. Arrives Istanbul early Oct so time to get back to UK before winter really bites in Europe.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Re climate in SEAsia and W Asia.

Unfortunately it's not the best time for SEA, but there is quite a difference between start of March and the end . Nonetheless, by March it has started to hot up . The rains don't come till later, (June or later) so you should OK with that. It's always a bit cooler near the coast so Malaysia will be better, but Central and North Thailand will be very hot. As will Cambodia. I've had 40 plus in Cambodia at end of March, but mid to high 30s is more normal.

A bigger problem if heading up to Northern Thailand is the smog caused by burning. I was up there this March and it was very bad. It doesn't clear till the rains come. Down south should be OK as the Indonesians do their burning about now (different wet seasons). One good thing is the winds will be moving from NE to SW.

Sorry if this sounds gloomy, it's still worth going, but it's just not the best time. However, if you start and finish early it's OK. Personally as long as I'm pedalling and generating a breeze I don't mind the 30s. As you said, it can't be perfect everywhere and rather a bit of heat here to get better weather in some of the potentially harsher climes, like NZ.

By May in Japan and Korea, it will be pleasantly warm (high teens to mid 20s), but expect plenty of rain. I think as much as 20 days per month in June.

The website AccuWeather is good for detailed historical weather data.

Nearer the time let me know if you want any specific info on any of these countries. I've recently completed a round Malaysia and will soon be in Southern Thailand (yet again). I also completed my figure 8 of S Korea last year. Either email, or post so others can see and possibly answer.

One final thing about the weather is that it is less predictable than it used to be, so always expect the unexpected. I'm in Japan at the moment and I reckon it's hotter than normal, maxing at 30° and humid, more like summer, but there's a typhoon on it's way so that will liven things up a bit.

Enjoy the planning, it's easier than the pedalling.
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks for the detailed info simonhill. As you say, I can't have the perfect conditions everywhere on a RTW cycle. My only fixed dates are start of July 2021 Almaty and leaving UK a year earlier. USA I will probably want to make use of all of the 3 month stay, NZ, Aus amd SE Asia are flexible. I'll be in summer for USA and then antipodes for their spring/summer.

I suppose one option would be around March time to start in Thailand and head south down the peninsula to Singapore and then go on to S Korea from there.