Rhine Ferries

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Rhine Ferries

Post by st599_uk »

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has a website listing ferry crossings on the Rhine.

Thinking of going riding there next year and it would be very useful for planning. There were a couple of great ferries in Holland last year - really useful to give you a little break and time for lunch and a bit of reading.

Maps and fares would be very good.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Psamathe

Re: Rhine Ferries

Post by Psamathe »

https://cycle.travel seemed pretty good. All the routes I created on or generally following EV15 Basel to NL seemed to involve a fair amount of switching banks and every ferry it chose across the Rhine was running fine.

There was one minor "hiccup"with a ferry across the entrance to a small blind offshoot (at Mannheim, east bank) where the ferry was not running. It was there moored-up but chain across the front and nobody around. Only a few miles detour and the ferry didn't make much sense is it didn't really take anybody anywhere (only me on a deserted cycle path.

There are a fair number of bridges as well so it's more about the route than ferries specifically.

Ian
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

you dont need to worry about ferry crossings on the rhine IMO

there are bridges all over the place

you will be back and forwards all the time
ossie

Post by ossie »

Agree there are plenty of bridges and absolutely nothing worth worrying about.

Just don't try the Bridge at Remegan....It ain't there anymore :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are cruisers up and down the Rhein too, birthdaypersons go free, once had a four-hour trip from Ruedesheim to Koblenz :wink:
Not to mention the Lorelei
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
millimole

Post by millimole »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There are cruisers up and down the Rhein too, birthdaypersons go free, once had a four-hour trip from Ruedesheim to Koblenz :wink:
Not to mention the Lorelei
About 3 years ago we decided we wanted to do a Rhine cruise - then we saw the prices!
We found out about the KD Line ferry Services, and went from Bonn to Mainz over 3 days, staying at B&Bs on the way. You get the commentary, and the boats do food (of variable quality admittedly), but it worked out about 1/3 the cost of a 'cruise' and probably much more fun.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again, of course one may go back by train on either bank for even more views
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Used the Drusenheim ferry in Alsace. It's the free but the crossing only takes two minutes!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I have several times found Rhein fahr not running or missing, reasons have run from high or low water levels and poor visibility to being used as a temporary ferry at a different site for Karneval. There aren't as many bridges as you might expect but you can cross at all the road ones including motorways.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Thanks for all the info. It will be after Karneval (thankfully, last time I was at that I ended up on TV singing a Koelsch folk song - which is odd as my German is terrible)
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

By Koeln there is a cable car across the Rhein, the cabins are small, a bit scary, no room for a cycle