Heathrow and car rental question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Heathrow and car rental question

Post by Woodtourer »

Since we live "across the pond" I was hoping that the UK cycling crowd might be able to help.
If we fly into Heathrow are there rental vehicles available that would accommodate 2 large bike boxes?
Starting to think about next year's tour and part would be driving to visit a few friends then head for a ferry port to go to France.
Thanks!!
tatanab

Re: Heathrow and car rental question

Post by tatanab »

There are many. I suggest you look at the website for your favourite company, or several, e.g Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, Europcar and more to see descriptions of the vehicles. If in doubt about dimensions you can then look up the manufacturer's website. This is just what I do when I visit the USA. When visiting the USA I make my car booking from the UK at the same time as I book flights, some airlines have tie ups with a particular car rental company which may be cheaper, or maybe not.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

I agree with the above but go with a Vauxhall Zafira, VW Transporter or similar. The former if it’s just 2 of you plus bike boxes, the latter if there are more than 2 folk aboard. With the Vauxhall, you should get away with moving the rear seats forward and removing and placing the parcel shelf directly behind the front seats. With the BW or similar, there would be a lot more room to play with. Remember to specify Automatic and not Gear ie Stick shift. From experience in the USA and Canada, the Auto is probably more sensible. Check there’s onboard SatNav or bring your iPhone to sort your map routes when driving. Enjoy your vacation.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

sorry VW not BW as above. Alamo, Herz, Avis or other major Car Rentals all operate from Heathrow
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

This link may help; and NO, I don’t work in Car Hire.

https://www.rentalcars.com/SearchResult ... y=carriers
mjr

Post by mjr »

If taking a UK rental car to France, you'd be sat on the wrong side. If doing a one way hire, they're much dearer than loops.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thanks all!!!
No the planning fun begins!!
ossie

Post by ossie »

mjr wrote:If taking a UK rental car to France, you'd be sat on the wrong side. If doing a one way hire, they're much dearer than loops.

I think he had the same conversation last year on the best way from Heathrow to Portsmouth.

My guess is he's collecting at Heathrow, dropping it at pompey and getting the ferry to France.

In which case he needs a company with a base near the ferry in Portsmouth for the drop off, Enterprise fit the bill
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Yep, that was me!
Last year we took a bus from Heathrow to Portsmouth. It worked quite well. But looking for a vehicle option to get around and visit before the ferry.