Torino-Nice Rally?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Torino-Nice Rally?

Post by nirakaro »

I'm fantasizing about doing this next year – though at a pretty geriatric pace which will likely take about twice as many days as the organizers suggest. Anyone done it? Reports? Views?
gregoryoftours

Re: Torino-Nice Rally?

Post by gregoryoftours »

An amazing route! It was probably my favourite holiday so far. I did it in 2016 which I think was the first one. I used the gpx files and started a couple of weeks later than the official rally at a much more leisurely pace (and with a LOT more luggage!) the second half of September was ideal temperature wise - it was a lot hotter when the official rally was on. Some parts of the route are pretty rough so I'd either have bikepacking amount of luggage or maybe a rigid old mtb as I used if you're full touring luggage type of person. There are plenty of options rough or less so if your bike isn't up to it though. I deviated from the route a fair bit - the death of a rear wheel early on meant that I didn't do the first major pass and further one of the unsurfaced tracks was signed as closed due to landslide further on. I didn't take it in case I got miles along and then couldn't get safely past the landslide and lose a load of time. None of this put a damper on the trip though, it was amazing! My favourite part was the region known as 'little Peru' If you are interested I can send you a link to look at my photos of the trip.
nirakaro

Re: Torino-Nice Rally?

Post by nirakaro »

Aye I'd be interested to see the photos. I've ridden a couple of those passes so I know what the landscape looks like. Less at home with riding off the tarmac though. Yes, the bike will be my trusty old rigid steel MTB, with (minimized) touring luggage, as the ride out to Turin will be the "training regime".