Polecamping in Netherlands

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thehairs1970

Polecamping in Netherlands

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Anyone got any experience of these pole camps?
Bmblbzzz

Re: Polecamping in Netherlands

Post by Bmblbzzz »

No. Care to explain roughly what it is? Intriguing name.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Bmblbzzz wrote:No. Care to explain roughly what it is? Intriguing name.

A quick google reveals: a form of Wild camping, where the facilities are minimal. First and foremost for fruitpickers but recreational and tourist (cycling) are also welcome.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Dos the OP not mean pole dancing? :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

I've been to one, Avelingen

it was a small patch of land near a river where you could camp for free

thats pretty much it, no facilites of any kind so it's wild camping with no fear of getting caught. expect other people to be there.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Where people are wild camping over a good area I can see pollution from human waste is not a massive issue as it's not intense. But where you concentrate many people in a smaller area repeatedly and on an ongoing basis I'd wonder if pollution could become a problem.

Or do these "minimal facilities" include e.g. composting toilet?

Ian
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Psamathe wrote:Where people are wild camping over a good area I can see pollution from human waste is not a massive issue as it's not intense. But where you concentrate many people in a smaller area repeatedly and on an ongoing basis I'd wonder if pollution could become a problem.

Or do these "minimal facilities" include e.g. composting toilet?

Ian

Disadvantage: because more people camp here, toilet paper can be found

https://henkvandillen.net/en/how-to-wil ... therlands/
Wildcamping is forbidden in the Netherlands for anyone. That’s because of the protection of the little nature we still have. But no need for worry! The Forestry Commission has set up a concept called pole camping. There are several poles around the country and in the area around the pole it is legal to wild camp.

So it literally is a pole.
Interesting but perhaps on balance I prefer "ask the farmer".
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

rotavator wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:No. Care to explain roughly what it is? Intriguing name.

A quick google reveals: a form of Wild camping, where the facilities are minimal. First and foremost for fruitpickers .

Google translate has a lot to answer for. The spots are situated near walking or cycling trails and are meant for nature lovers. The picking of fruits, nuts or mushrooms in the forests is only allowed in personal quantities (if at all)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping some more people may have visited. They interest me for a stopover in between more civilised spots.
robing

Post by robing »

I did seek one of these out in the forests south of Breda recently. It was very tucked out of the way and fairly inaccessible. When I did find it I thought it was pretty pointless. It had all the drawbacks of wild camping ie no facilities but several neighbours in close proximity so none of the positives! So I simply found my own spot in the forest for peace and quiet which was much better.

They've also got similar pole camping in Belgium but again I just wild camped. I found a great secluded spot near Cycling Through Trees.

Plus in the morning when I wild camp I have to do what bears do, and I don't want an audience for that!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

robing wrote:Plus in the morning when I wild camp I have to do what bears do, and I don't want an audience for that!

No, I can understand you'd feel self-conscious with all those eyes on your honey sandwiches.