Loire velo - Nantes to Orleans

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Acasey

Loire velo - Nantes to Orleans

Post by Acasey »

Hi, we are wanting to cycle Loire Velo, Nantes to Orleans sections in June 2020 and looking at other posts, it looks feasible to get the Bike Train from Nantes to Orleans and then cycle back to Nantes (stopping at B&Bs en route). Thinking of ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo with car and bike, and drive to Nantes, then velo train to Orleans and cycle back to Nantes. Any ideas where we could park for a week or more until we return in the Nantes area, or any better ideas of how to get to start and back again.
Thanks
mjr

Re: Loire velo - Nantes to Orleans

Post by mjr »

There seem to be some spaces on yespark.fr but I never tried it, or the airport parking doesn't look expensive.

The other approach would be to take bikes on TER and IC trains Saint-Malo to Nantes and back from Orleans which is great and touristy but takes longer and probably costs more... Although driving in France can cost a bit if you take a British approach to speed limits because they seem to have more cameras, set to take pictures closer to limits!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you are staying at a hotel for first and last night in Nantes, you could look for one that has parking.

Alternatively, Google the local tourist information office and ask them.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Did a similar trip with some non-cycling friends the other year. We drove to a guesthouse in Beaugency for the first night where we had arranged to park our campervan safely for the week (we stayed there again on the final night). Caught train to Nantes with whole carriage solely for carrying bikes and cycled back over the next week before ferry back to Dieppe. Very good cycling for anyone not quite sure they can manage it, with plenty of railway stations alongside for bail outs.

It’s also easy arranging travel with bikes in France. I use the trainline app. The other year I was cycling down to Bilbao when I had to return for a funeral (was in La Rochelle when received the call). Was able to book trains with bike while sitting in restaurant and picked up the printed tickets from the station next morning. Each ticket specified seats and bike location, none of the panic about where on the train you have to try and get your bike on. I found all the rail staff helpful and friendly towards me and the bike (during what wasn’t an easy journey) and very straightforward journey to Cherbourg. I even got to cycle in Paris again (because change of station) which allowed me to feel young again.

Good luck.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Sounds like a good plan- I’m planning to do this section next year too. I was thinking of flying in to Nantes and out of Paris and train from Orleans to Paris.

My experience is that if you stay at a hotel with plenty of parking or not town centre or camping they will often facilitate extra car parking. We’ve done that before.