In praise of England

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pwa

Re: In praise of England

Postby pwa » 24 Oct 2019, 11:14am

reohn2 wrote:I know those places well and cycle the tracks and trails there often,I also stop and eat at the Strawbery Duck and Turton Towers,I may see you there :)

Look out for two grey haired fifty-somethings with mud spattered trouser bottoms, staying at the Strawbury Duck (strange spelling and very odd name anyway) and occasionally using their dark blue Citroen C1 to flit off and visit relatives. But mostly just tramping the trails in their walking boots. I told my mother we were going up there and she was reminiscing and saying how beautiful it was up there and how she misses all the long walks she did with my father when they lived in that area.

When they retired my parents went to live in Ireland, close to my father's birthplace. This is where they were, in the middle of countryside but apart from walking on roads, and in the grounds of the agricultural college, there was nowhere for them to walk. They missed the walking opportunities they had taken for granted in England.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Banag ... 5?hl=en-GB

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 24 Oct 2019, 5:08pm

In 2017 Pauline and me did a 7 countries tour of Europe taking 7 weeks. Towards the end we were discussing what to do next and we both decided that it was silly to do these long tours abroad when there were areas of England and Wales we had not toured. So last year we only did tours of this country and thoroughly enjoyed them. Unfortunately they were brought to a standstill by Pauline's cancer from which she will never fully recover. Due to her current condition this year we are still keeping to UK but only doing much shorter tours because her daily mileage is much curtailed.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Oct 2019, 7:18pm

I remember my first walking trip to the highlands of Scotland with its totally different access laws and traditions to England & Wales. It was a uni walking group and our experienced walkers of Scottish hills had a route in mind. There were no marked footpaths from the roads, no Stiles and definitely no footpath signs. So we hopped over wire fence, avoiding the barbed wire and a little way in found signs of a footpath on the ground. It was a popular route to bag a few Munro tops so the path soon became clear.

Later on after uni I used to go on walking trips to Dumfries and Galloway hills. I've been in the hills such as around Merrick so many times that I have eventually learnt the best ways into the various interesting hills.

My point is that British countryside has a difference between England & Wales and Scotland. For all the good things of Scottish access there's something better with the English and indeed Welsh countryside. Footpaths clearly signed for many decades, Stiles, etc. It's got even better with the CRoW act too.

As good as England is I defy anyone to disagree that the north west and specifically Cumbria is the most beautiful part of England. If you disagree I'll simply write your opinion off as that of someone who has never been there or is a little bit crazy. :D

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 Oct 2019, 8:15pm

pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I know those places well and cycle the tracks and trails there often,I also stop and eat at the Strawbery Duck and Turton Towers,I may see you there :)

Look out for two grey haired fifty-somethings with mud spattered trouser bottoms, staying at the Strawbury Duck (strange spelling and very odd name anyway) and occasionally using their dark blue Citroen C1 to flit off and visit relatives. But mostly just tramping the trails in their walking boots. I told my mother we were going up there and she was reminiscing and saying how beautiful it was up there and how she misses all the long walks she did with my father when they lived in that area.

When they retired my parents went to live in Ireland, close to my father's birthplace. This is where they were, in the middle of countryside but apart from walking on roads, and in the grounds of the agricultural college, there was nowhere for them to walk. They missed the walking opportunities they had taken for granted in England.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Banag ... 5?hl=en-GB

Out on the MTB I had my lunch overlooking Entwhistle Rezer today,rode by the Strawberry Duck and over Darwin Moor up to the Jubilee tower on the way back.
Didn't see you though,perhaps you saw me first :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 24 Oct 2019, 8:20pm

Tangled Metal wrote:..
I defy anyone to disagree that the north west and specifically Cumbria is the most beautiful part of England. If you disagree I'll simply write your opinion off as that of someone who has never been there or is a little bit crazy. :D

The Real North West :wink:
I have been there, but I havnae been to Cornwall
A local paper had a series about the best parts of town, each article claimed that a particular area was best, that seems fair
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 24 Oct 2019, 8:22pm

Tangled Metal wrote:
As good as England is I defy anyone to disagree that the north west and specifically Cumbria is the most beautiful part of England. If you disagree I'll simply write your opinion off as that of someone who has never been there or is a little bit crazy. :D

:)
You may be interested in this.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... iest-place
Sweep

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 24 Oct 2019, 8:24pm

Ribble Valley the best, South Ribble one of the worst, that cannae be right :?
Doubtless just another attempt to sell more guide books
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 24 Oct 2019, 8:31pm

brynpoeth wrote:Doubtless just another attempt to sell more guide books

Read the red text at the top of the piece.
Sweep

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 Oct 2019, 8:43pm

Sweep wrote:

About 20 years ago I drove to Clitheroe with the bike in the back with a view to leaving the car there whilst I did a four day tour in the Yorkshire dales.
I went in a cafe for a spot of lunch and asked behind the counter if they knew anywhere I could park it for four days.The lady immediately said " you can park it on my drive" and gave me her address.
On my return I put a tenner in an envelope and pushed through the letterbox.She came out and tried her utmost to give it me back,I had to make her take it as a thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Oct 2019, 11:01pm

Sweep wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:

:)
You may be interested in this.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... iest-place

Heard about that. I nearly posted Cumbria and forest of Bowland/ ribble valley but couldn't be bothered typing it all out on my phone.

Lived on a hill overlooking the ribble valley. Whilst on school holidays I used to spend my time dropping down the hill and into the ribble valley on bike rides. 3 hours in the morning, long lunch at home then meet up with my mate and straight out again on the bikes until tea.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Oct 2019, 11:06pm

reohn2 wrote:
Sweep wrote:

About 20 years ago I drove to Clitheroe with the bike in the back with a view to leaving the car there whilst I did a four day tour in the Yorkshire dales.
I went in a cafe for a spot of lunch and asked behind the counter if they knew anywhere I could park it for four days.The lady immediately said " you can park it on my drive" and gave me her address.
On my return I put a tenner in an envelope and pushed through the letterbox.She came out and tried her utmost to give it me back,I had to make her take it as a thank you.

Northern hospitality! I moved up to west Lancashire at the age if 3.5 years. At 13 I moved to overlooking ribble valley. Years later, after spells at university in Leeds and liverpool, I moved to north Lancashire.

I'm west country born but nurtured in Lancashire. My mum was Lancashire born and bred (before liverpool became Merseyside it was Lancashire). Lancashire feels like home to me. Along with the Lakes of course.

pwa

Postby pwa » 25 Oct 2019, 7:59am

Liverpool is still in Lancashire, to all right thinking folk. As is Warrington, though modern maps lie on that matter.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 25 Oct 2019, 8:15am

Liverpool is an entity on its own imho. Diss them or their city publicly and you'll see how united they get against you. I really am not joking when I say there's still some parts of liverpool that don't sell the sun because of their reporting of Hillsborough. Plus Boris having to sneak into and out of the area for conservative constituency visits is just because he's Tory leader then you're wrong. Long memories and take offence IME.

pwa

Postby pwa » 25 Oct 2019, 9:25am

Tangled Metal wrote:Liverpool is an entity on its own imho. Diss them or their city publicly and you'll see how united they get against you. I really am not joking when I say there's still some parts of liverpool that don't sell the sun because of their reporting of Hillsborough. Plus Boris having to sneak into and out of the area for conservative constituency visits is just because he's Tory leader then you're wrong. Long memories and take offence IME.

It is different, I know, but it was still the main port of old Lancashire, which is why it developed there in the first place. Including of course its part in the slave trade and later, its part in the anti-slavery movement.