Bristol to Bordeaux

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rod white

Bristol to Bordeaux

Post by rod white »

Hi

Looking to plan a route from Bristol to Bordeaux - has anyone here done that already? If so I'd appreciate looking at it.

Thanks

Rod
mnichols

Re: Bristol to Bordeaux

Post by mnichols »

I've cycled from Bath to Spain, and also Bath to Italy, I've also cycled Barcelona to Bordeaux

Bath to Spain went via Bordeaux. I cycled to Poole, got the ferry to Cherbourg then followed the coast to Spain. It's very flat until you get to the Pyrenees, but you won't be going that far. Bath to Italy was same route to Cherbourg, but then diagonally across France

I've also done a couple of other rides in France: Pisa to Barcelona, Nice to Geneva, Venice to Nice

What do you want to know ?
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Hello, go search Eurovelo 1: as good as any, for the route you want. If you prefer a less 'touristy' inland route let me know, we live about 2/3 of what might be your way down, and cycle back to the UK regularly (but I got a lift back this week, cos it was throwing down a storm).

happy days,
Attachments
Waiting for the ferry at Le Pellerin.JPG
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There is a fairly new route that goes from the Normandy coast to nearly Bordeaux. It's called Velo Francette. Search online and you will find it

Then search on this forum for a couple of posts about it.

There are a couple of guidebooks on Amazon

I cycled some of it in June. Didn't follow it all the way as I don't like those paths, but it's a well marked route.

On tour at the moment so can't help much.
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

There is a fairly new route that goes from the Normandy coast to nearly Bordeaux. It's called Velo Francette. Search online and you will find it

Did this in September - Velo Francette to La Rochelle and down the coast to Bordeaux. Ferry from Portsmouth to Ouistreham drops you literally
right on it.

Had an excellent trip!