(Big) Bike on train : Newcastle to Sheffield

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
megalith

(Big) Bike on train : Newcastle to Sheffield

Post by megalith »

I'm planning on doing a four day MBT tour in the Peak District next week. I'll be bringing my fairly big 29+ mountain bike, and now I'm reading up on how to bring your bike in a UK train, I'm getting a bit anxious.

I'll be starting my journey in Newcastle, taking a Crosscountry train to Sheffield (didn't find a way to reserve a spot for my bike during the ticket ordering process though :?). In all sources I've read so far, you've got to hang your bike in a small 'cabinet'. As I can't find a lot of info on this topic on their site, perhaps anyone on this forum can clarify. I'm fairly sure my bike won't fit in such a cabinet (heck, my tires won't even fit in a standard bike rack). How does the train crew usually handle people with bikes in such cases? Anyone had similar experiences?
richardfm

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Post by richardfm »

This article will tell you more about taking a bike on a train in the UK https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/bike-blog/2019/nov/04/rail-companies-bike-policy-bicycle-storage-trains I'm afraid that it is not very encouraging
Richard M
Cardiff
Will

Re: (Big) Bike on train : Newcastle to Sheffield

Post by Will »

This page shows the layout of crosscountry trains:

http://ehelp.thetrainline.com/euf/asset ... ountry.pdf

It looks like there are Voyager and HST trains. The bike racks on the Voyager trains are in Coach D, and on the HST in Coach H. If you don't know what type is used on your route, then you could try e-mailing crosscountry to find out, so that you can get a seat reservation near your bike.

This picture shows the bike racks on a Voyager type train:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... cycles.JPG

The bike racks on a HST train are in a seperate compartment at the end of the train. I believe that it is normally locked and you need to get the guard to unlock it to get your bike.

This page give details of how to make a bike reservation on crosscountry:

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/on ... d-cyclists

Will
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You can book online easily enough with GWR. But that doesn't make the provision any better. I presume you have fat tyres. You might struggle to suspend the bike.
John
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

There are two cabinets next to each other on a CrossCountry (Voyager) train. One (on the right in Will's pic) has two reservable spaces. The other (on the left) has one unreservable space. The cabinets are the same size, but there's some heating equipment on the floor in the latter which means there's not quite space for two bikes.

So your best bet, I think, would be to reserve a space but then hang/wedge your bike in the unreserved, single-bike compartment. You'll have a better chance of fitting it in there. Maybe take a bungie cord to help strap it in.

Failing that, there's a big luggage space just beyond the bike racks, and you can usually get a bike underneath the shelf there. It depends how friendly the guard is feeling but if you've reserved then most will be sympathetic.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
PH

Post by PH »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:There are two cabinets next to each other on a CrossCountry (Voyager) train. One (on the right in Will's pic) has two reservable spaces. The other (on the left) has one unreservable space.

That's a new one on me, I was aware there are three spaces and only two are reservable, but I've not seen anything that indicated which two. But yes, trying to bag the single is the best idea, if I'm the third bike on and the only available space is the lower hook in the twin, I have no chance hanging my 60cm tourer in there, reservation or not.
When there's the option, I'll choose a service where I can join at the start, Newcastle to Sheffield trains will either start from there or Edinburgh (Possibly elsewhere as well)
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

When I've taken bikes on Cross Country, it's been fairly hassle free. I always reserve a bike space these days. It saves on potential problems on the day. I'm pretty sure you can do this from any station local to you that's got a ticket office. But check that one out.

As others have said, there are two recesses to hang your bike from a hook by the front wheel. I've only done this with my 26 inch wheeler, so not sure how a 29er would fare. Would imagine it'll be ok, but a fat bike may struggle, if that's what you're riding.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Will

Post by Will »

PH wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:When there's the option, I'll choose a service where I can join at the start, Newcastle to Sheffield trains will either start from there or Edinburgh (Possibly elsewhere as well)

I believe that some of the crosscountry trains that go through Newcastle and Sheffield start in Aberdeen or Dundee, and are Voyagers. Crosscountry also has some HST trains that are used exclusively on the Edinburgh to Penzance route (which also goes through Newcastle and Sheffield).

Will
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I'd presume it'll be a Voyager. HST are far preferabe, but very rarely running on the route
megalith

Post by megalith »

Thanks all, your comments are of much help. I ended up booking the ticket at GWR, which actually shows the option to reserve a bike spot when ordering the ticket. Train seems to be a Voyager (checked the seat reservation for this train on CC). Now I'll hope for the best, pickup my tickets in Newcastle, and hope my bike will fit (or that I can at least bring it with me on the train) :)

The bike is a Surly ECR by the way. Not yet a fatbike, but it's bulkier than a regular MTB. When hanging the bike I'd probably need to take off some bags to not strain the front wheel too much.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Please report back.
Sweep
megalith

Post by megalith »

I'll certainly do!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

megalith wrote:When hanging the bike I'd probably need to take off some bags to not strain the front wheel too much.

I'd recommend this in any case, to be honest - bike spaces are few and far between, and removing the bags means other cyclists are more likely to fit on.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
horizon

Post by horizon »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Failing that, there's a big luggage space just beyond the bike racks, and you can usually get a bike underneath the shelf there. It depends how friendly the guard is feeling but if you've reserved then most will be sympathetic.

I'm wondering if the OP could take a short journey on a train with a tape measure and find out if his bike will fit under there. He could even take the front wheel off. If he gets there early (on the day) and the train starts from Newcastle, he could be first in the rush for that space. My concern is that he won't get the tyre in the hook and the bike will have nowhere to go. Since he's booked, the guard will allow him on, but having a place in mind already should help enormously.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I only know the Voyager but never use the "reserved' side. How you are supposed to get two bikes in there defeats me.

When taking my Dawes Galaxy there is usually no problem if you can get into the unreserved side and even though there is a heater in there there is usually room for two panniers at least as well.

I did have problems when I took my electric converted Kona Smoke from Winchester to Sheffield and back. There was no real problem going up as I was able to use the unreserved side. Unfortunately the handlebars were too wide to go in so it stuck out a bit!!

Different story on the way back from Sheffield. There was another reserved bike (and an unreserved one but I didn't have the heart to chuck the student off) so I was unable to get the bike into either side. I therefore stood with the bike, moving it from side to side depending on the station platform, until Winchester. I was famous it appeared because on each change of crew the conductor had been told about me. An employee came to me , at Reading I think, and attempted to get the bike in the luggage rack as mentioned. It was a laugh to watch but unsuccessful.

Unfortunately from what I have heard this is a picnic in comparison to the new Hitachi Azuma stock so I'm really looking forward to those!!