Tour: Slupsk (PL) to Klaipeda (LT)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
kath2376

Tour: Slupsk (PL) to Klaipeda (LT)

Post by kath2376 »

Having cycled along the Weser River (2017) and Elbe Cycle Route (2018) we, Kathrin (42), N. (10) and J. (9), rode on the Baltic Sea coastal cycle route from Slupsk in Poland to Klaipeda in Lithuania, a total of 680 kilometres.

21.7 Arrival part 1: to Berlin (12km)
In the afternoon we took the train to Berlin. There we were picked up by my cousin. Due to the short transfer times we spent a night in the capital.

22.7 Arrival Part 2: Berlin - Slupsk - Rowy (51km)
We left Berlin at 7:39 a.m.to Stettin where we got on the train to Slupsk, the starting point of our bicycle journey. We quickly found our way out of town and continued via Ustka to Rowy. In the evening we went to the beach and found a great place to eat some Fresh fish.

23.7 Rowy - Leba (54km)
Today we cycled through the Slowinski National Park. On good forest paths we rode along Jezioro Gardno and Jezioro Dolgie Duze to Smoldzino lighthouse. After we had rested at the guarded parking lot we left our bikes and walked to the lighthouse. Unfortunately light drizzle accompanied us and so we couldn't see the Baltic Sea and the sand dunes. We continued on good roads with little traffic to Kluki. At the open-air museum we took another short break and waited for the rain to subside. Since we didn't find the junction to Skorzyno immediately, our path ended on a viewing platform at Jezioro Lebska. Back in Kluki we found the crossing that lead to the moor. Over wooden footbridges and through mud holes we made our way to Lisia Gora. In the small village Izbica we rode on sandy village roads, then on a wide gravel road to Gac. The attempt to take a short break in Gac was interrupted, because innumerable mosquitoes occured. Behind Gac the public road ended and we had to go through the forest. Because of the sandy ground we had to get off the bikes and push them again and again. Only N. somehow managed to cycle on this sandy path (6km). The last kilometres to Leba we cycled on new, EU-funded cycle tracks. In Leba we quickly set up the tent and enjoed a Pizza afterwards. An exhausting day through varied terrain.

Part II following soon. For photos check https://nejo08.wordpress.com/
Last edited by kath2376 on 7 Nov 2019, 9:15pm, edited 2 times in total.
kath2376

Re: Tour: Slupsk (PL) to Klaipeda (LT)

Post by kath2376 »

Part II:

24.7 Leba (17km)
We took a day off! The evening before I noticed that one of the rear wheel bags was damaged. I doubted that my 19-year-old bag would make the long journey to Lithuania. Replacement was needed! In addition, a spoke on the rear wheel loosened. Right next to the campsite there was a bike rental and I asked whether they could tighten my spoke. They asked me to return the following morning. They would need two hours to repair my bike. Therefore we cycled to the big sand dunes, which belong to the National Park. They lie between the Baltic Sea and the Jezioro Lebsko, which we circumnavigated yesterday. The dunes move up to ten meters per year and reach a height of 42m. We spent the whole day at the dunes and the beach digging in the sand and enjoying the sun. In the evening we visited the town.

25.7 Leba- Debki (56km)
In the morning I took my bike to the rental to tighten the spoke and center the rear wheel. Meanwhile we packed the tent together and around 11:30 I went back to the rental to pick up my rear wheel, just to learn that noone had checked the wheel. The German speaking boss had disappeared. As far as I understood the mechanic he wanted to put me off for another hour, but I insisted that he would have a look at my bike immediately. Ten minutes later, with the spoke tightened and the rear wheel centered, I returned to the campsite and fixes my bike. Finally we were ready to leave Leba. Via Szcenurze and Sasino we cycled to Stilo. On the way I spoke to Polish cyclists who informed me that they had bought their bike bags online. However there is a good bicycle shop in x and in Gdansk would be a branch of a large French sports supplier. I lifted the broken bike bag with karabiners and hoped that it would last as far as Gdansk. After a rest in Stilo we rode on a little further along sandy forest roads to Lubiatowo. Then on good forest roads, past Szklana Huta, through the Rezerwat Bialogora to Debki. Shortly before entering the village we passed a memorial stone, which marks the German-Polish border of 1919. Passing many merchants we found a nice restaurant at the end of the village. After dinner we cycled three more kilometres and camped close to the beach.

26.7 Debki – Sopot (62km)
In the morning we took down our tent and went for a swim to the deserted beach. At 10:30am we left and cycled along the EV10 through Karwia and Tupadla to Wladyslawowo. Sometimes we cycled on new cycle paths, sometimes through dense traffic on the coastal road behind the dunes, on which sun-hungry tourists were looking for a parking space. We continued along the 34km long peninsula Hel to the village Hel. Unfortunately there wasn't time for a coffee, because a short time later a ship left for Sopot. We spend the 2-hour crossing crossing the Putziger Wiek with board games. In Sopot we moored at the wooden sea bridge. We stopped at a small supermarket and quickly found a campsite right by the cycle path. In the evening we went to the sea again and watched the ships on the Gdansk bay.
monxton

Post by monxton »

I was keen to know what happened next, and fortunately the tour continues on Kathrin's blog: https://nejo08.wordpress.com/l/. Such intrepid children!
Bice

Post by Bice »

Fascinating route. Long wanted to explore what remains of east Prussia and Koenigsburg. Thanks
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
kath2376

Post by kath2376 »

monxton wrote:I was keen to know what happened next, and fortunately the tour continues on Kathrin's blog: https://nejo08.wordpress.com/l/. Such intrepid children!

Just realised I didn`t translate the second part into English. Sorry! Will try to get it done tonight. It really was adventurous and remembering it still puts a smile on our faces.
kath2376

Post by kath2376 »

Give it a go. We really loved it. I would like to return and learn more about it as we only saw the coastal area.

Bice wrote:Fascinating route. Long wanted to explore what remains of east Prussia and Koenigsburg. Thanks