Kennet and Avon with child

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Kennet and Avon with child

Post by honesty »

Looking to do this route with my daughter in May (i know I'm rather early planning this, but I need a cast iron plan to get it past my wife :wink: ) east to west. Whilst I've got pretty detailed information on the route, there seems to be a shortage of campsites along the way. Any recommendations of sites anywhere on the route?
pwa

Re: Kennet and Avon with child

Post by pwa »

B&B? Less baggage, making it easier to get past those inevitable narrow bits and all the other tow path users you will meet.
honesty

Post by honesty »

She loves camping. May do the YHA in Bath but I’m not sure I’ll get away with that...
whoof

Post by whoof »

This is what Cycle Travel gives as campsites on route.
r to b .jpg

If you PM me I'll give you the location a nice offsite (wild) camping spot outside Trowbridge.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Be advised that the towpath from Bradford on Avon eastwards is narrow and often bumpy to very bumpy! Big tyres & suspension recommended. . .
pwa

Post by pwa »

honesty wrote:She loves camping. May do the YHA in Bath but I’m not sure I’ll get away with that...

It may have changed in the ten years since I last used it but when we went there the YH in Bath was smelly, cold and not very clean. It may not matter, but it also seemed to me to be primarily used by people working in Bath rather than by tourists. Overall it was grim.

Edit. Having just checked, it looks to me like the present building is not the same as the one we stayed at, so my comments may be partly or completely out of date.
whoof

Post by whoof »

pwa wrote:
honesty wrote:She loves camping. May do the YHA in Bath but I’m not sure I’ll get away with that...

It may have changed in the ten years since I last used it but when we went there the YH in Bath was smelly, cold and not very clean. It may not matter, but it also seemed to me to be primarily used by people working in Bath rather than by tourists. Overall it was grim.

Edit. Having just checked, it looks to me like the present building is not the same as the one we stayed at, so my comments may be partly or completely out of date.

I pass it regularly and the clientele seems to be lots of foreign school childeren.
pwa

Post by pwa »

whoof wrote:
pwa wrote:

I pass it regularly and the clientele seems to be lots of foreign school childeren.

Have they moved the YH because I remember it being a villa style building halfway up a hill? That doesn't fit with the current premises.
whoof

Post by whoof »

pwa wrote:
whoof wrote:
pwa wrote:It may have changed in the ten years since I last used it but when we went there the YH in Bath was smelly, cold and not very clean. It may not matter, but it also seemed to me to be primarily used by people working in Bath rather than by tourists. Overall it was grim.

Have they moved the YH because I remember it being a villa style building halfway up a hill? That doesn't fit with the current premises.

Half way up Bathwick Hill. There are often Foreign coaches parked opposite the entrance and I see children going to and fro the YHA entrance to these. According to the website the interior has been recently refurbished but still the same Georgian style building.

https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-bath
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There's a good campsite at The Golden Swan at Wilcot, near Pewsey. They have basic wash and shower. Great food at the pub.

The campsite at the Barge Honey Street had re opened and seems a bit less grungy than before. It's another pub that does food. You can't get closer to the canal.

Lots of the K&A is unsurfaced and will be very muddy in spring. Be warned, but enjoy.
pwa

Post by pwa »

whoof wrote:
pwa wrote:
whoof wrote:

Half way up Bathwick Hill. There are often Foreign coaches parked opposite the entrance and I see children going to and fro the YHA entrance to these. According to the website the interior has been recently refurbished but still the same Georgian style building.

https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-bath

The Georgian portion at the front was okay back then, though very cold in winter, but we were actually accommodated in a grotty annex block to the rear. But that was maybe a decade ago so things change. The reviews seem generally good these days.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonhill wrote:Lots of the K&A is unsurfaced and will be very muddy in spring. Be warned, but enjoy.

i had an unplanned trip from Avondale(?) aquaduct to Dundas Aqueduct last week, (i was exploring without a map) and despite having been fairly dry the preceding days the towpath was well puddled and even smooth road tyres accumulated a fair amount of mud. The surface is for the most part quite good but there are a few pointy stones that are worth missing. Its also quite wide on that stretch so plenty of passing space for the most part.

Of course, when you reach Bath you can tag on some of the railway paths along towards the coast or up towards Radstock through the tunnels. Sounds like an excellent child (and parent) friendly trip. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
honesty

Post by honesty »

The plan is to follow the sustrans route which misses out the rougher but in the middle I think then onwards to Temple Meads using the Bristol to Bath. We’re also going to go up and back down Two tunnels since we’re there.

I’ve downloaded Archies for campsite info as well but not massively impressed with the iPhone app. No web links and not obvious short codes under descriptions.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I believe that the surfaced bit out of Devizes coming from the east has been extended. Not sure how far out of the town it goes now.

Pick it up as soon as you can and don't miss the Caan Hill Flight going west from Devizes. Take a minute or two at the top to marvel at the whole flight (of locks).
ossie

Post by ossie »

I've done the section between Reading and Newbury four times, the last time in Sept. I guess you are starting at Reading. The path near the city centre is narrow with some tight corners so beware. It then sorts itself out for a bit. Between Reading and Newbury you will be diverted through some fields, not a massive issue as the canal is lovely then along the M4 on a rough track. At Thatcham you will be diverted off the canal onto roads (there is a cycle path ) until Newbury. Just follow the EV4 signs, dont be tempted to stay on the canal as it becomes impassable.

You mention a child? There are numerous parts of this stretch where I had to be extremely careful (fully loaded) The nature of the path is that most of it is as rough as hell, tree roots, extremely narrow track, overgrown shrubbery all bang on the waters edge etc. Its not a dedicated canal path as such,only in certain sections. The rest is simply cobbled together.

Sorry I cant comment from Newbury onwards.