East Baltic touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

East Baltic touring

Post by Jdsk »

We're interested in touring Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, and maybe a bit of Poland if that helps.

I see more and more commercially organised bike trips, but we'd prefer to do it on our own and especially without van connections. Probably a mix of camping and hostels and hotels.

Any experiences, advice, web sites, books or routes, please? Or links to a thread that I've missed!

Thanks

Jonathan
Woodtourer

Re: East Baltic touring

Post by Woodtourer »

My wife and I rode the Baltic's , Poland and more last summer. Here is the link to our journal
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Eur1019
Poland was fantastic!!.
Tom
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I cycled towards home along the coast from Riga a few year ago.

Unless you set the visa up in advance, you need to cycle around Russia ..... :lol:
The cycle tracks I used where very variable in standard, good tarmac to soft sand, just like in the UK.
You may have to do a few miles on a main trunk road where you cross the Poland-Lithuania border, but that's the only bit of main trunk road I used on that portion of my trip.
Campsites were few and far between but I found solo wild camping site were relatively easy to find.
Apart from that, I found it easy to make my route up as I went along.
I just used google maps to work out where to go and a sat nav to make sure I got where I decided on.

Have fun ........ :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks, both.

Any more?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's a write up in the February/March 2019 magazine of a family tour. I can't find a better way of getting there than this based on theirs:
London to Harwich (they did Hull to Rotterdam)
Harwich to Hook of Holland (overnight ferry)
Hook of Holland to Rotterdam
Rotterdam to Lübeck (trains)
Lübeck to Travemünde
Travemünde to Helsinki (overnight ferry)
Helsinki to Tallinn (ferry).

Jonathan