Heathrow to Folkestone??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Heathrow to Folkestone??

Post by Woodtourer »

As we start planning next year's tour we have the idea of flying from the US to Heathrow. Then making our way out to Folkestone. There is a WarmShower host who would store our bike boxes. Then ferry to France.
I looked at the National Express bus but there are 2 changes to get there. Not sure how that would work with all our gear.
So wonder if anyone here has suggestions??
Thanks!!
simonhill

Re: Heathrow to Folkestone??

Post by simonhill »

Seeing as the bikes are in boxes, manouvering them won't be easy. I would think that this would rule out public transport unless you are very determined.

Two options come to mind:

The Folkstone area will have taxis that do airport runs that you could book to pick you up.

One way hire of suitable size car.

You should be able to price both on the web.

Travelling on a bike is heaven, travelling with a bike is hell.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Don't we know!!
Two years ago we took Nation Express to Portsmouth from Heathrow. It worked great! But this route appears a bit more challenging.
Would you have some suggestions on car hires??
Thanks!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Woodtourer wrote:As we start planning next year's tour we have the idea of flying from the US to Heathrow. Then making our way out to Folkestone. There is a WarmShower host who would store our bike boxes. Then ferry to France.
I looked at the National Express bus but there are 2 changes to get there. Not sure how that would work with all our gear.

Are you sure? I think it's one change at London Victoria.

Can you carry the bike boxes by bike at all? If so, Feltham station is 15mins ride (66% cycleways) from Terminal 4, then one change at Waterloo (well, from Waterloo main up one level to Waterloo East - just watch out for Jason Bourne ;) ) would get you to Folkestone. Alternatively, TfL Rail to Paddington, then ride CS3 across Hyde Park to Parliament across the bridge to Waterloo. In both cases, you'd need to avoid crossing London roughly 0700-1000&1600-1900.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
deckertim

Post by deckertim »

Have you thought about using a cardboard bike box and ditching it at Heathrow? You could then cycle to Folkestone.

Alternatively

If your box is less than 2m long and you can carry it, you could use The tube and go all the way to St Pancras where you can catch a fast train to Folkestone.
You could take the bike or box on the Heathrow Express. It is expensive though and only goes to Paddington, where you'd probably need to get a taxi to St Pancras

Don't try any of this in peak hours though.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry, I live the other way and don't know any Folkestone taxis. Also, I've never needed to hire a car as I've got mates to get me to or from airports.

I presume the handling and transfer problem isn't just down to the bike box, but all the additional baggage for a multi- day European camping tour. This makes some of the above suggestions shall we say, a little difficult.

I've tried cycling with a folded cardboard box on a bike. I did about 4 Kms, but only on pre mapped very quiet side roads. I wouldn't want to do it on anything a bit busy. Also if it is raining, then the box will be trashed.

Assuming it's a cardboard box, then ditching it and arranging a new one in Folkestone is your best option. You can find LBS via Google maps or from your warm shower and ask them to hold boxes for when you arrive or leave.

Otherwise I still think an airport hire car or taxi will be your best bet.
mjr

Post by mjr »

deckertim wrote:If your box is less than 2m long and you can carry it, you could use The tube and go all the way to St Pancras where you can catch a fast train to Folkestone.

This may be the best solution if it all can be carried or wheeled. I think both Heathrow and St Pancras have lifts everywhere now although IIRC it needs at least three lifts and a long walk to get up at STP and I'm not sure if you can take station luggage trollies down to the tube platforms (while someone waits with the luggage - never leave bags unattended in the UK else they may be destroyed as potential bombs).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

deckertim wrote:If your box is less than 2m long and you can carry it, you could use The tube and go all the way to St Pancras where you can catch a fast train to Folkestone.

That's what I would do.

As far as taxis go, there is a 'Folkestone Airport Transfer' company, and several other taxi companies that offer airport services, including minibusses &/or large luggage.

I don't have any experience with them, so cannot make specific recommendations, but googling 'folkestone heathrow transfer service' gets several hits.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

If you're not entirely set on Folkestone, I'd have suggested National Express from Heathrow to Brighton. You could find somewhere to leave your boxes in Brighton, and then take the ferry to France from Newhaven - just nine miles' easy riding along the coast from Brighton.

However... the Heathrow-Brighton coach only runs once a day, in the small hours. So it may be more practical to get the coach from Heathrow to Gatwick, hump your boxes onto the train, and get a train from Gatwick to Brighton.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Someone's going to ask this, so I may as well get it out of the way ...

Heathrow-to-calais/Dieppe* is quite a painful/expensive journey; have you completely ruled out flying direct to France??

(I think RUSA riders do it for Paris-Brest-Paris)

*I presume?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

mattheus wrote:Someone's going to ask this, so I may as well get it out of the way ...

Heathrow-to-calais/Dieppe* is quite a painful/expensive journey; have you completely ruled out flying direct to France??

(I think RUSA riders do it for Paris-Brest-Paris)

*I presume?

Yes.
And if you (OP) choose to cycle it they are some of the most traffic infested roads in the UK.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
mattheus wrote:Someone's going to ask this, so I may as well get it out of the way ...

Yes.
And if you (OP) choose to cycle it they are some of the most traffic infested roads in the UK.

Yes but at least they have more cycleways and signposted routes. The mediocre A30/A4 cycleways could take you to Hammersmith then there's quiet riverside streets to Lillie Road where cycle lanes lead to Q15 which connects to CS3 in Hyde Park which would take you east through London and onwards as shown in https://cycle.travel/map/journey/87189 except take Regional 17 instead of 16 after Canterbury to reach Folkestone instead of Dover. Still 105 miles of niggly riding, though.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

OP here.
It seems like we just consider doing the Heathrow to Portsmouth via National Express. It worked out well last time. Just need to locate a place to store our bike boxes for 2 months!
Thanks for all your replies!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi

How much would Addison Lee charge for a taxi to Folkstone/ Portsmouth?

With 2+ cyclists it might be reasonable?

They use larger ford galaxy / seat Alhambra MPV cars.

Cheers James
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jamesh wrote:Hi

How much would Addison Lee charge for a taxi to Folkstone/ Portsmouth?

With 2+ cyclists it might be reasonable?

They use larger ford galaxy / seat Alhambra MPV cars.

Cheers James

I would not spend my money with Addison Lee.

The head of Addison Lee, one of the UK's biggest minicab companies, has angered cycle campaigners by describing deaths and serious injuries among inner-city cyclists as inevitable and primarily the fault of untrained riders.
John Griffin has spent several days in the spotlight after he ordered the drivers of his company's 3,500 vehicles in London to use bus lanes, which are reserved by law for buses, coaches, motorbikes and licensed black cabs, as well as cyclists.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/apr/20/addison-lee-minicab-boss-cyclists

More poison.

"This summer the roads will be thick with bicycles," Griffin wrote. "These cyclists are throwing themselves on to some of the most congested spaces in the world. They leap on to a vehicle which offers them no protection except a padded plastic hat.

"Should a motorist fail to observe a granny wobbling to avoid a pothole or a rain drain, then he is guilty of failing to anticipate that this was somebody on her maiden voyage into the abyss. The fact is he just didn't see her and however cautious, caring or alert he is, the influx of beginner cyclists is going to lead to an overall increase in accidents involving cyclists.
"The rest of us occupying this road space have had to undergo extensive training. We are sitting inside a protected space with impact bars and air bags and paying extortionate amounts of taxes on our vehicle purchase, parking, servicing, insurance and road tax."
He concluded: "It is time for us to say to cyclists, 'You want to join our gang, get trained and pay up'."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?