Which way to London?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Oldjohnw

Re: Which way to London?

Post by Oldjohnw »

Is the post three up from this the longest ever? Is it the full 217.3 miles? :-)
John
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Oldjohnw wrote:Is the post three up from this the longest ever? Is it the full 217.3 miles? :-)

I think I could beat it by copy-n-pasting typing in a GPX track. Would you like me to give it a go?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Thehairs1970 wrote:Tinpoflowers I hope you didn't type all that :D

I'm struggling to make out the actual place you went through. Any chance of a list or link so to gpx file?

The entry to London in the long list seems to be over Box Hill then the old Brighton Road and then a lot of A roads with no help for cycling. I'm not sure I'd come over Box Hill at the end of a long day and if I did, I think I'd then head for Wandle Park to join CS7 which is basically one long direct road to Southwark Bridge with a wiggle around Elephant&Castle, much with bus lanes or cycleways, then a simple right turn would take you to Tower Bridge.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mattheus wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Is the post three up from this the longest ever? Is it the full 217.3 miles? :-)

I think I could beat it by copy-n-pasting typing in a GPX track. Would you like me to give it a go?

:D
I thought of using the quote facility but feared we would enter some kind of arms race
John
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

mjr wrote:

I'm struggling to make out the actual place you went through. Any chance of a list or link so to gpx file?

The entry to London in the long list seems to be over Box Hill then the old Brighton Road and then a lot of A roads with no help for cycling. I'm not sure I'd come over Box Hill at the end of a long day and if I did, I think I'd then head for Wandle Park to join CS7 which is basically one long direct road to Southwark Bridge with a wiggle around Elephant&Castle, much with bus lanes or cycleways, then a simple right turn would take you to Tower Bridge.

The Brighton is easy road to follow and I ridden it many times.

Regard Box Hill if you can ride from Exeter to London in one go Box Hill is not too bad. There many worse hill on the North Downs.

CS7 would be IMHO a pain at the end of a ride A23 is easy and wide .
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

mattheus wrote:

I have sent you a PM
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tinpotflowers wrote:Regard Box Hill if you can ride from Exeter to London in one go Box Hill is not too bad. There many worse hill on the North Downs.

Of course, but why go over the North Downs at all when you don't need to by staying north of them and entering through Aldershot?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Tinpotflowers wrote:
mattheus wrote:

I have sent you a PM

None received
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A starting point might be to reverse this route then refine it. :) Which bits didn’t you like and how could it be made shorter?
London to Exeter

Thehairs1970 wrote:My other half and I did something similar during a ride we did to raise money for Prostate Cancer Research.

We rode from Woodbridge to Henley on the first day, Henley to Westbury on day 2 and Westbury to Exeter on day 3. Day 1 was 143miles, day 2 was 68 and day 3 was 88. Day 3 was hardest, once we hit the Devon hills.

For the bit you are interested in, we went Henley, Reading, Woolhampton, Thatcham, Newbury, Hungerford, Burbage, Pewsey, West Lavington, Westbury, Frome, Castle Cary, Langport, Taunton, Tiverton, Exeter.

We were road biking with no kit. If you are interested, I can email you the routes. PM me if need be.

Really enjoyed it, though the first day was so wet, it was biblical and we had three punctures. The section to Westbury was probably my fave. I know we tried the canal for a short section but it wasn't worthwhile.

Good luck
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

The person who request a route for this please send me a PM with your email address and I will send gpx file
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

Many thanks

Please PM your email address and I will send you gpx file
horizon

Post by horizon »

What were the principal objections to a straight run up the A30 as a fast, direct route? It's busy but it's an interesting route and does get you there.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Other than through Basingstoke the A30 from Winchester to London is pretty quiet. I ride to/from London from Berkshire most weekends and have never had an issue any route I take.

The most enjoyable route for the last few miles would be through Windsor Park, down the hill I to Stained, under the M25 at the big junction (which is largely problem free), right before the Thames towards Thorpe Park, left into Chertsey, following the road north of the Thames to Hampton Court, through Kingston to Richmond Park, leave via Roehampton Gate, cross the Thames at Putney Bridge, first right and follow the generally pretty good Boris bike lane all the way I to zone 1.

All relatively flat as it generally follows the Thames valley. Good cycle lanes or roads where you won't have thousands of cars stuck behind you. A popular route for road riders.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

[quote="Paulatic"]A starting point might be to reverse this route then refine it. :) Which bits didn’t you like and how could it be made shorter?[\quote]

Wow, you've got a memory to dig that out. I'm just wondering if there is something better than reversing it. I sometimes find that the way back is necessarily as fun as the way there.

Cheers anyway.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

horizon wrote:What were the principal objections to a straight run up the A30 as a fast, direct route? It's busy but it's an interesting route and does get you there.

Agreed for East of Salisbury. The only part of the A30 between Salisbury and Staines which could be distinctly unpleasant is the 2.5 miles where the A30 is subsumed by the A303 just before joining the M3. That could be avoided by passing Micheldever Station and Popham (adds 1.6 miles), or by using the Test Valley route from Stockbridge to Basingstoke (adds 3 miles but reduces climbing the Downs).

I am not familiar with the A30 West of Salisbury.