Touring with Velociped

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Velocio

Touring with Velociped

Post by Velocio »

In October 2016 I was approaching a significant birthday and my wife asked me what I would like as a present. I decided almost immediately that I would like to spend a couple of days cycling along the Rhine. But how?

We thought of organising everything ourselves including taking our own bikes but it all seemed rather complicated. So instead we went online to see if there were any companies or organisations that may hire bikes for such a journey. And we found one: Velociped

Everything was done online without physically talking to anyone. We chose the size and type of bikes we required. We were sent the detailed itinerary (all in German of course). All we had to do was get there.

We flew into Frankfurt and took a train to Mainz, our first hotel was just around the corner of the station. We were introduced to our bikes in the basement with our names on. The bikes, sturdy hybrid tourers like our own bikes, had panniers attached with basic tools, spare inner tubes and locks included. The lights were powered by efficient dynamos when needed.

The next morning we left our packed cases at reception as we went down to breakfast. After breakfast they were gone! We joined our bikes and off we sped 21 miles leisurely to Rudesheim. The scenery was glorious and weather was fair, though the back-pedalling breaking system took some getting used to. We popped into Elteville for lunch. Mid-afternoon we reached the beautiful medieval town of Rudesheim. When we arrived at our hotel we found our cases miraculously waiting for us in reception!

This was the pattern of our next 4 days cycling along the Rhine ...leave our suitcases at reception ...go down to breakfast ...cases gone ...cycle through some of Germany's beautiful scenery ...castles ...medieval towns for lunch ...arriving at each hotel to be greeted by our cases ...Rudesheim to St Goar ...St Goar to Koblenz ...Koblenz to Bad Godesberg ...Bad Godesberg to Cologne (via Bonn) our final destination. 150 miles approx ...and all mainly flat!

We have cycling friends in Cologne so instead of heading back home immediately at the end of our Rhine Tour we decided to stay on a few more days in Cologne and Velociped allowed us to keep our bikes gratis until the final day when we handed them in to the nearest Velociped friendly hotel in Cologne.

Every year since, Velociped have sent us their brochure of both self propelled and guided cycling tours, not only in Germany but now also in virtually every country in Western Europe. For further info, here's their website: https://www.velociped.de/en/all-bike-tours/europe.html

:)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
mattheus

Re: Touring with Velociped

Post by mattheus »

I'm not sure what The Original Velocio
would have thought of your Magic Suitcases, but I'm glad you had a nice time (-:
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

We'd like to think that Velocio would have been proud of us 60-somethings (nearly 70-somethings) enjoying cycling 150 miles in Germany

burroc

Post by burroc »

My wife is not the most energetic of cyclists, but is more than happy to go on a week's cycle tour in Europe (normally Germany) if it is relatively flat, hotels are booked, baggage is carried, route is in nice scenery, there are no busy roads, and the majority is on cycle paths or agricultural tracks. We have used Velociped, but have tended to use Velotours more often. I think Velotours too over Austria Radreisen a few years ago too. In total we must have done 25 tours like this. Even if you look down on the idea of "luxury" touring through companies like these, their websites are useful for identifying potential cycle routes. A rule of thumb is to pick a major river in Germany and you won't go too far wrong. In Germany cycling is seen as a viable means of transport, and not just a past-time. Their cycle network certainly puts ours to shame. So too with their attitude to cycling and cyclists.
horizon

Post by horizon »

burroc wrote:My wife is not the most energetic of cyclists, but is more than happy to go on a week's cycle tour in Europe (normally Germany) if it is relatively flat, hotels are booked, baggage is carried, route is in nice scenery, there are no busy roads, and the majority is on cycle paths or agricultural tracks.

Funny, I know someone else like that!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

Thank you burroc ...we might give Velotours a look if planning another Euro cycling tour come our next significant birthday(s)

Rhine Tour.jpg