hotel laundry service?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SA_SA_SA

hotel laundry service?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Given that hotel laundry service is expensive and if, eg a cyclist, is staying one night, why would they wish to risk they clothes going missing, wouldn't hotels be better off facilitating washing in room and providing a drying capability?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
simonhill

Re: hotel laundry service?

Post by simonhill »

Isn't that we all do? I mean wash our gear in our rooms.

All you need in your room is a sink, which is pretty common. I also carry a short clothes line and a few lightweight plastic pegs. You can dry off stuff by wrapping in towel and twisting - or on the radiator

Flat screen TVs are useful for drying (well wrung out) socks.

Every afternoon when I arrive, I wash out my shirt, pants(wear them under lycra) and socks.

Then again, I do cycle in hot countries.

Many Japanese hotels have washing machines and driers. Sometimes free, but very wasteful if only doing one day's set of clothes.

I wouldn't put my lycra in a drier. I agree that a small spin dryer would be useful, but would need somewhere to locate, etc. Too much hassle I suspect.

Edited a bit.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Trampling clothes about in the bottom of the shower whilst you wash yourself is fairly common.

If you want a more effective method, and find that handwash in a small washbasin gets water everywhere, another option is to use a drybag.
Test the bag concerned at home first - they aren't all as leak-proof as they should be.

You can also get drybags specifically designed for washing your clothes in. Google Laundreeze or Scrubba.
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Most hostels have DIY laundry for a few euros or equivalent. Most Warmshowers people I've stayed with have offered free laundry.

Echoing Simon I would avoid putting anything cycling related in a tumble drier.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

When winter camping in Aviemore years ago I used to creep into the boiler room of one of the hotels and leave items to dry.
When a towel vanished I thought it best to stop.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Trampling a drybag in the shower probably saves some water (over not)?, but the post was inspired by the fact that some hotels try to forbid doing your own washing (though I suppose they usually say no washing in hand basin).... and also while I find washing in dry bag in shower is OK, there is no drying room in a hotel so things may not be dry by morning. Given that most hotels are air conditioned, surely an air conditioned drying cupboard wouldnt be a step too far and more efficient that using radiators unnecessarily?
ossie

Post by ossie »

Pick an older hotel / B&B

They always have radiators that you can turn on / off even in the warmer months. As said wash your gear in the shower / sink and stick on the rads.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Counterintuitively, cooling air conditioning is better for drying clothes than air heating. Cooling works by reducing humidity in the air, which is great for drying.

Late last night I washed out my money pouch. I had the cooling a/c on for a few hours over night and it is bone dry this morning.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Trampling a drybag in the shower probably saves some water (over not)?, but the post was inspired by the fact that some hotels try to forbid doing your own washing (though I suppose they usually say no washing in hand basin).... and also while I find washing in dry bag in shower is OK, there is no drying room in a hotel so things may not be dry by morning. Given that most hotels are air conditioned, surely an air conditioned drying cupboard wouldnt be a step too far and more efficient that using radiators unnecessarily?

Inspires a possibly misguided thought.
Anyone ever tried putting some warmish water in a drybag with some detergent, strapping it to the top of a rack and letting the day's motion wash it?
Sweep
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Sweep wrote:Anyone ever tried putting some warmish water in a drybag with some detergent, strapping it to the top of a rack and letting the day's motion wash it?

Water is heavy! I'd think in the bottom of a pannier might be better for weight distribution..

Caravanners do it with a sealed plastic bucket.. rear part of van has the most 'action'.

As for hotels .. those usually have a shower .. while you wash yourself .. put your cloths under your feet and wash them too. If you and the cloths are dirty enough get into the shower with the cloths on and wash with cloths on untill most of the dirt is gone .. then take cloths off and stand on them. .. Drying is done using the hotels towel .. wring out the cloths to get most of the water out tnen wring out inside the hotels towel.. then room dry.

A few hotels allow guest to use the hotels laundry facilities .. always pays to ask.
Last edited by Warin61 on 6 Dec 2019, 6:32am, edited 1 time in total.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Warin61 wrote:[...quote="Sweep" ..quote="SA_SA_SA"..../quote]

Note the 'wash on bike suggestion' was Sweep's not mine as your mangled ( :D )quoting suggests...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

SA_SA_SA wrote:

Note the 'wash on bike suggestion' was Sweep's not mine as your mangled ( :D )quoting suggests...

I accept full responsibility!

May try sometime at least one one of my heavier bikes - I have plenty of drybags - not a weight weenie.
Sweep
gaz

Post by gaz »

Sweep wrote:Anyone ever tried putting some warmish water in a drybag with some detergent, strapping it to the top of a rack and letting the day's motion wash it?

[youtube]AOR8Q0RIZgk[/youtube]
skelo

Post by skelo »

so that's what the bidet is for.... :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0889.JPG
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

SA_SA_SA wrote:

Apologies ... to both ... fixed though bit late.