hotel laundry service?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Neil Wheadon

Re: hotel laundry service?

Post by Neil Wheadon »

Lay out the hotel towel
Put your clothes on it laying flat (usually room for a top and shorts)
Roll the towel up, so your clothes are like the filling in a Swiss roll
Put your foot on one end of the roll and with your hands twist the towel so you spiral the towel
Remove your clothes, wet towel, almost dry clothes

Works an absolute treat
Neil
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

SA_SA_SA wrote: some hotels try to forbid doing your own washing (though I suppose they usually say no washing in hand basin)....

How do they police this? In-room cctv?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

De Sisti wrote:[quote="SA_SA_SA" some hotels try to forbid doing your own washing (though I suppose they usually say no washing in hand basin).... /quote]
How do they police this? In-room cctv?[/quote]

Some people might feel uncomfortable 'breaking the rules', so better to have an allowed alternative?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Not that I have ever been challenged, but my answer would be I haven't washed my clothes, I've just rinsed out my damp sweaty stuff. It had to dry anyway.

Obviously doesn't work if you have line full of stuff, but mine is usually shirt, socks and pants.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Two other options....
Many places still have launderettes
Poste Restante is the ability to post clothes to a to a post office. PIck up in the afternoon, repack the worn stuff and post home
norts65

Post by norts65 »

Beware the shower trampling approach though - the shower water will ideally be hotter than washing machine temp. I found an under vest shrank while washing it this way on a 3 month tour. It’s now a short compression vest...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

gaz wrote:
Sweep wrote:Anyone ever tried putting some warmish water in a drybag with some detergent, strapping it to the top of a rack and letting the day's motion wash it?

[youtube]AOR8Q0RIZgk[/youtube]

Should come as standard with indoor trainers and that peloton thing. Folks who use those things could then take in neighbours' washing.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I have just stayed in a hotel where amongst the useless junk of shower caps, etc in the bathroom was a small sachet marked "detergent".

One assumes it was intended for use and that they don't mind you doing your smalls in the hand basin.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Lots of the cheaper USA hotels /motels have laundry facilities. Same goes with camp grounds all over. Whilst I’m quite happy washing my own stuff overnight and air drying if the whole family is along I’ll do it every other day in a machine and often tumble dry (depending on time etc- the USA doesn’t get air drying so washing lines aren’t seen there so often as in Europe).