When you run out of money…

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

When you run out of money…

Post by nirakaro »

I had a friend who cycled the length of South America. Reminiscing about the ride, he remarked, 'It's when you run out of money that the interesting things happen.'
I'm far too cautious now to get into that kind of situation (and, it has to be said, my tours don't produce many 'interesting' stories), but odd moments of my less-cautious youth certainly bear out his opinion. Any views or tales?
vegan dog

Re: When you run out of money…

Post by vegan dog »

Thats a very interesting subject!

My girlfriends best friend hitch hiked around the world with her boyfriend 20 years ago and wrote a book called led by destiny
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Led-Destiny-Hi ... 8373802053

They went with just $500. Kinga was an amazing person who truly believed in destiny and things always seemed to work out when they ran out of money. They got small jobs, teaching English etc. On one occasion they met a really wealthy man on the road and got a well paid job looking after his house while he went travelling. Tragically Kinga died a number of years ago from Malaria while hitch hiking solo across Africa.

25 years ago my girlfriend ran out of money in South America and they started doing street performances in a up market shopping precinct after they had befriended the manager of the complex. I don't know if you have seen those people who pretend to be statutes in the street, often masked in white paint? That's what they were doing, but it was a novel idea at the time and nobody else was doing it. It was aided by the fact that they were westerners and the locals were generally intrigued. In those days they were earning a couple of hundred pounds a day, which does not sound much today, but it was in south America 25 years ago! Consequently they came back with much more money than they went with.

I think all you need is an open mind and a bit of creativity. Running out of money should not be a disaster. A lack of money should never stop someone from realising their dreams. I am even toying with the idea of setting an intentional low budget for my world tour, not because of a lack of money but as a challenge. I also think it would make a great book or video vlog.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I've just finished Laurie Lee's As I walked out one midsummer morning about his travels on foot in Spain in the 1930s, supporting himself by busking on his violin. (It's a wonderful book - I've read it several times.)
1982john

Post by 1982john »

LollyKat wrote:I've just finished Laurie Lee's As I walked out one midsummer morning about his travels on foot in Spain in the 1930s, supporting himself by busking on his violin. (It's a wonderful book - I've read it several times.)

Have you read Alastair Humphrey's reincarnation of that book?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

spending beyond your means early/running out of money is irresponsible IMO not to mention the potential to be extremely dangerous. Not just that but you are likely to put upon people's kindness when others may need it more.

As a Western traveller, a person who is making a LEISURE trip, one that you're not forced to make, I just find it repulsive that one can be putting upon others because of your recklessness in not planning for the unexpected/no fall back plan. sure, there can be times that something really out the ordinary crops up, but then taking steps to avoid those scenarios that are more likely to crop up should be considered first and foremost, particularly when going to the back and beyond and language difficulties. You must have an out plan or just not take the risks of going down a certain route, geographically or otherwise.

You can have equally amazing trips, be able to immerse oneself in the local culture, meet lovely people and do things you never imagined without running out of money.
I'm sure it's worked out for a portion of people, but equally I'm sure that things have gone badly wrong for many others too.
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

The utility cyclist wrote:
As a Western traveller, a person who is making a LEISURE trip, one that you're not forced to make, I just find it repulsive that one can be putting upon others because of your recklessness in not planning for the unexpected/no fall back plan.

What do you have in mind when you say putting upon others? I am talking about finding jobs on route or offering your services in other ways.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Vegan dog. Did you mean £200 a day? That is a lot of money even today. You could probably live comfortably in London on that let alone SA.

With a travelling budget of around $20 a day, one day's work would be getting on for 15 days money.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Running out of money means different things to different people.

Planning ahead should let you know when money is getting short and it is then that you need to decide, not when you actually run out. Unfortunately I've seen a few Western travellers on their uppers in developing countries. They are not usually in a very good state.

It's obviously a serious problem if you have no friends or family who can supply help. However most people could probably get subbed by someone.

Today it is very easy as contacting people is a phone call away for free on WhatsApp and money dropped into a bank account is instantly available via an ATM. Given how cheap touring can be, even a few hundred pounds will go a long way.

I'm not into vblogging or any of the other self publicising formats used by some of today's travellers, but if you do it and get a good following I imagine you could start a sort of crowd funding. Call it begging if you like, or just people happy to pay a bit to (literally) see the journey continue.

If you are absolutely on your uppers, the Govt will usually fund a repayable ticket home.

As said, if you want to continue your trip and can't get extra funding, then you need to work something out. However there is no blue print as it depends on where you are. Teaching English is a good fall back, but not much use somewhere like Australia. If you want to do this, then best to plan well with a TEFAL type qualification. Also, you are more likely to be doing it as part of a funding plan, rather than because you have run out of money.

Also working in a very poor country is unlikey to be lucrative and my not even supply enough money for you to survive at an acceptable level.

I tend to agree that falling back on the kindness of strangers in anything other than exceptional or emergency situations is to be avoided.

Edited to re-order a paragraph.
horizon

Post by horizon »

What do you need the money for?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Running out of money shows poor planning. Go home!

It is highly unlikely that you can legally make more real money (payment-expenses) in some foreign country. At home your qualifications and job experience are recognised and you have reasonable knowledge of the job market, how to live economically. This should maximise your making of real money that you can use. So go home, make money so you can go on holiday..

There are few exceptions.. I prefer a more cautious approach.
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

simonhill wrote:Vegan dog. Did you mean £200 a day? That is a lot of money even today. You could probably live comfortably in London on that let alone SA.

Yes that's right £200 per day, although it was often split between them.

simonhill wrote:
I tend to agree that falling back on the kindness of strangers in anything other than exceptional or emergency situations is to be avoided.

How do you regard things such as Couch Surfing in the equation? I have Couch Surfed all over the world and accepted many free meals and beds. When I travelled 12 years ago, I barely spent any money on food or accommodation. Some people regard this as taking advantage of people, but all my hosts singed up to the website and were happy to host me. I believe in Karma, and when in the UK I have hosted over 200 people at my house. I have collected people from airports, provided written invitations, helped people find jobs and even hosted one girl for nearly 6 months free of charge. If I take from something, I always try and put back into the community. That's why I don't feel any guilt accepting a free meal or accommodation when travelling.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

On my first solo foreign tour I ran out of money, I hadn't foreseen the cost of food and my small budget really was just that, too small! I managed to get some money sent from home which just about saw me through another week of very cautious eating habits and missing out on some stuff I had planned to do.

It was a lesson learnt and whilst i"ve often not had a huge budget on subsequent trips, i've always managed the finances well enough to not starve or place myself in potentially hazardous peril.

To intentionally set out with insufficient funds and no replenish scheme in place is IMV irresponsible, I can do without the stress that it causes thank you.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
horizon

Post by horizon »

horizon wrote:What do you need the money for?

To answer my own question, if you're cycling and wild camping you won't need money for travel, accommodation or basic bike repairs which you do yourself. That leaves food, some of which is free, lying on the ground, and the rest perhaps can be scrounged from the back doors of restaurants. Remember, this is running out of money which presupposes you had some originally for your travel home, clothes and cycling/camping equipment. A lot will depend on which country you are in but maybe even more depends on your own resourcefulness and attitude. I did run out of money once, when I was young, on the west coast of America. I got back to New York and a flight home without doing anything illegal or immoral or indeed, in this case, fattening. I was hitch-hiking though.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

horizon wrote:
That leaves food, some of which is free, lying on the ground, and the rest perhaps can be scrounged from the back doors of restaurants.

Thats a really good point. I know a retired engineer / maths teacher in Oxford who if a freegan. He has not purchased food in 20 years and takes from supermarket bins. He took me on one of his missions once and I could not believe what the supermarkets throw away, it is a real eye opener.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

vegan dog wrote:
horizon wrote:
That leaves food, some of which is free, lying on the ground, and the rest perhaps can be scrounged from the back doors of restaurants.

Thats a really good point. I know a retired engineer / maths teacher in Oxford who if a freegan. He has not purchased food in 20 years and takes from supermarket bins. He took me on one of his missions once and I could not believe what the supermarkets throw away, it is a real eye opener.

maybe you should get him to make a video of his treasure hunts and post it on You Tube?