Malaga to Cadiz and back May 2020

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Grumpyoldbiker

Malaga to Cadiz and back May 2020

Post by Grumpyoldbiker »

I have searched the forum but can't find much up to date information on this, so I am creating a new post.

I'm starting off in Malaga late on 6 May 2020 and cycling to Cadiz, returning to Malaga for a flight at 16:45 on 15 May 2020. I will not be camping but staying in small hotels and hostels etc. I've been to Ronda before, so although I have included it in my proposed return leg, its not essential that I go there if someone knows a better route. I'm thinking of the following routes:

Malaga to Cadiz:
Malaga - Pizarra - Ardales - Teba - Almargen - Olvera - (Via Verde) - Puerto Serrano - Arcos de Frontera - La Barca de la Florida - Cadiz. (approx 240 km)

Cadiz to Malaga:
Similar route back to Arcos de Frontera, then El Bosque - Grazalema - Ronda - El Burgo - Yunquera - Malaga (approx 240 km)

I've done a reasonable amount of cycle touring abroad and plenty of cycling and commuting in London/SE so I'm not nervous about heavy traffic but I prefer pleasant roads if the distance/climbing penalty is not too severe, and I have to keep an eye on my overall time available. Daily distance only needs to be about 60km per day, which should be OK. I may try a couple of long days to free up a couple of days/half days for sightseeing.

I will either take my Galaxy or hire a trekking/gravel bike in Malaga, so some moderate rough stuff will be OK.

I would really appreciate comments from anyone who has cycled in this area, especially about my proposed routes and any especially bad roads (traffic wise) and any very severe long hills to avoid. Also very keen to receive general comments on places not to be missed, places to avoid, and any general advice on the area.

I would consider going via the coast for one leg, but I have heard lots of bad reports of how busy and unpleasant the coast roads between Malaga and Cadiz are. Does anyone know if this has changed?

Gracias

Peter
ChrisF

Re: Malaga to Cadiz and back May 2020

Post by ChrisF »

The coast roads are indeed pretty bad, just a string of resorts SW from Malaga. There's plans for Eurovelo route 8 but mostly* it isn't yet in place at all. (One stretch of it a few miles SE of Cadiz just runs along a beach, loose sand for several miles, as a result of which I dodn't have time to get as far as Cadiz!). You're much better off with inland routes. On one of your legs, I recommend going via El Chorro and Embalse de Guadalhorce instead of Ardales. I agree with the Grazelema part of the route, wonderful.

*There is a gravel via verde beteen Facinas and Los Barrios, which is one part of EV8 which is apparently in place, although I haven't ridden it (if you are on FB, see https://www.facebook.com/groups/2291565217760811/search/?query=facinas&epa=SEARCH_BOX) .

Oh, and if you decide on going into central Malaga from the airport, take your bike on the train. There's no safe way to cycle across the Guadalhorce river (unless it's changed from 2 years ago).

I may be in the area again, before May, to try some more roads myself, so may come back to this post later with my findings.....
Chris F, Cornwall
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Having recently got back from the area and having now spent some time there I'd sugest the following. The MA21 just outside the airport is big and pretty busy but there is a shoulder most of the way and cyclists are expected by the considerate Spanish drivers:

Airport> right onto the MA21 for a short while then> Churriana> Estacion Cartama> Pizarra> Alora> El Chorro & Pantano del Chorro (this avoids the fast and busy A357 and A367s). Teba> Almargen> El Saucejo> Algamitas> Pruna and Olivera or Teba> Canete la Real> Alcala del Valle and Olivera (avoids the fast and busy A384). Take the more minor roads from Puerto Serrano to Arcos.

An alternative return would be from La Barca keep south of the Embalse de Guadalcacin> Puerto de Galis> Cortes de la Frontera and then to Ronda via either Benaojan or Atajate. Then your route reyurning to the airport via Churriana and a short section of MA21 which I;ve done many times.

These suggestions are hillier than yours but use quieter and often more scenic roads. I did the Via Verde from Olvera last year on my 23mm tyred road bike without difficulty.

Hope this helps
Grumpyoldbiker

Post by Grumpyoldbiker »

Thanks Chris and Harry. Very useful stuff.
Peter
deckertim

Post by deckertim »

Grumpyoldbiker wrote:I have searched the forum but can't find much up to date information on this, so I am creating a new post.

I'm starting off in Malaga late on 6 May 2020 and cycling to Cadiz, returning to Malaga for a flight at 16:45 on 15 May 2020. I will not be camping but staying in small hotels and hostels etc. I've been to Ronda before, so although I have included it in my proposed return leg, its not essential that I go there if someone knows a better route. I'm thinking of the following routes:

Malaga to Cadiz:
Malaga - Pizarra - Ardales - Teba - Almargen - Olvera - (Via Verde) - Puerto Serrano - Arcos de Frontera - La Barca de la Florida - Cadiz. (approx 240 km)

Cadiz to Malaga:
Similar route back to Arcos de Frontera, then El Bosque - Grazalema - Ronda - El Burgo - Yunquera - Malaga (approx 240 km)

I've done a reasonable amount of cycle touring abroad and plenty of cycling and commuting in London/SE so I'm not nervous about heavy traffic but I prefer pleasant roads if the distance/climbing penalty is not too severe, and I have to keep an eye on my overall time available. Daily distance only needs to be about 60km per day, which should be OK. I may try a couple of long days to free up a couple of days/half days for sightseeing.

I will either take my Galaxy or hire a trekking/gravel bike in Malaga, so some moderate rough stuff will be OK.

I would really appreciate comments from anyone who has cycled in this area, especially about my proposed routes and any especially bad roads (traffic wise) and any very severe long hills to avoid. Also very keen to receive general comments on places not to be missed, places to avoid, and any general advice on the area.

I would consider going via the coast for one leg, but I have heard lots of bad reports of how busy and unpleasant the coast roads between Malaga and Cadiz are. Does anyone know if this has changed?

Gracias

Peter
This was one of the days of my tour last month. Only the last 20 kms into Jerez were on busy roads, but Spanish drivers are good and the bigger roads have a shoulder.
The scenery around Grazalema is magnificent.
https://strava.app.link/8vRFaNija2

It is possible to get into Malaga. The route involves a bit of Gravel riding, but there is a path of sorts over the river.
https://strava.app.link/JAA2dkKja2

I plan my routes using ride with GPS and Google Street View. Just be careful as the Google camera does go down some Gravel roads.
Grumpyoldbiker

Post by Grumpyoldbiker »

Thanks for all the replies.
Needless to say I didn't get to do this trip for obvious reasons, but now that travel has opened up again I am thinking of doing it in 2022.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any updates on how the development of Eurovelo 8 between Cadiz and Malaga is progressing?
Once again, despite searching for over an hour on the internet, I am struggling to find any up to date information about this section.
According to the overview map I think the route is complete between Cadiz and San Roque, from there to Malaga it is shown as under construction, but I'm sure it was shown as under construction about two years ago.
Anyway I will keep searching, but if anyone has any updates I would be grateful.
Thanks
Peter
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My very brief Investigations on the southern part of this EV was that it wasn't complete. Can't say I looked too hard.

If it was me, I'd just plot my own route. Establish which roads you can cycle on (possibly the biggest challenge) then decide where you want to go picking your own towns and sights and there's your route. Choose a different way back - double the fun.

You've got loads of time to sort out route, accommodation, etc.

You can also use something like Google maps satellite mode to see what the roads are like.