Pannier rack for urban bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
steveparry

Pannier rack for urban bike?

Post by steveparry »

My sister would like a rack fitted to her bike. Its a Claud Butler Urban Hybrid - smallish as she's only 5' 1" tall. Its only for light shopping but with panniers. I have some inexpensive Lidl panniers to give her. What would people recommend? Amazon Prime is preferred as postage would be included.

20191202_155253.jpg
foxyrider

Re: Pannier rack for urban bike?

Post by foxyrider »

I would suggest the Tortec Tour - nice and robust but still quite light and i've fitted them to much smaller bikes than your sisters.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Roy A

Post by Roy A »

+1 for Tortec Tour
Currently available from Go Outdoors for £17.99 - see https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15913053/t ... r-15913053
King of Mercia, Giant Defy, Raleigh MTB, Brompton M3L & S6L
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I note your mounts for the arms are on the seat stays quite low. I'd suggest on a small frame and those mounts, something with adjustable height and easily bendable arms for the top mounts would be advisable. Something like this https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... 28non-disc%

I'm guessing that is 26inch wheels.

Edit, realising I haven't explained it very well, a quick pic of my wife's. Basically I had real trouble getting the rack level as the mounts were so low down. Just managed it with maximum extension of the arms with the rack set to its lowest setting.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

If it's only for a bit of shopping then go cheap and heavy.
steveparry

Post by steveparry »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
steveparry

Post by steveparry »

An update. See attached photo of the eyes on the frame of the bike. I've never seen these type before - I think they are not functional eyes but just the design of the frame. Am I right?
Attachments
Frame eyes.jpg
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Those aren't functional but if you use the mudguard eyes for the rack and either fit the m/guard stays to the upper most none funtional hole or use the same eyes for both m/guard and rack it will solve the problem
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

Im selling a delta QR seatpost pannier rack which may be suitable for light loads. Im in somerset near Taunton so you would be welcome to come and try it. !0 mins from M5 J25. £12 collected
DSCF0286.JPG
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

You might be interested in my recent thread about pannier racks for a bike with 26" wheels. https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=132770 I did find most racks too tall.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

steveparry wrote:An update. See attached photo of the eyes on the frame of the bike. I've never seen these type before - I think they are not functional eyes but just the design of the frame. Am I right?

As another poster said you need to attach the lower rack mounts where the mudguard stays are fitted. Always fit the load bearing rack mounts closest to the frame, then the mudguard mounts outboard of the rack mounts. You may need longer m5 bolts to have enough threaded into the frame, but not enough that the bolt on the drive side pokes through and catches the chain when it's on the smallest sprocket. An m5 washer of decent outer diameter is a good idea to fit under the bolt heads, and threadlock or an additional split washer to stop the bolts vibrating loose.