Introduction of Scottish Tourist Tax

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
philsknees

Introduction of Scottish Tourist Tax

Post by philsknees »

I'm surprised no-one has commented on this week's press revelations, or have I missed a post somewhere?
Whilst the amount proposed is negligible* and for wild campers presumably not even an issue, an important precedent is being set. Could this be the thin end of the wedge......
An interesting commentary emerges here: https://scottishtourismalliance.co.uk/w ... n-for-you/
- and the figures revealed relating to the "expansion" of tourism in Scotland, if correc, demonstrate a different very position to that popularly held.

( * Though a family of 4 on a 2 week holiday on a campsite would be required to pay an extra £56 just for the privilege of being there!)
pwa

Re: Introduction of Scottish Tourist Tax

Post by pwa »

If tourism tax money is directed at facilities for tourists it could be a good thing. How do we pay for the creation and maintenance of footpaths and trails across the countryside, the installation of picnic benches and so on?
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Some very selective and suspect arguments there

No figures given as to annual tourism spend just small snapshots of hotel occupancy in one city for a 6 month period but not a whole year. No figures given for other accommodation such as B&Bs, hostels, AirB&B etc

No figures for how tourism spend changed when VAT rates have changed to support claims that increased costs/taxes reduce overall income

No figures for tourism spend when the Brexit vote was announced and the Euro fell from 1.31 to 1.11 to the pound and similar falls against the dollar

If this is the quality of the anti-tourism tax argument then its not very good

Scotland is excellent value for money if Scotland gives you what you value which in my case it does. Its going to take some increadible price hikes to even dent that calculation. Some parts of the world you couldn't pay me to visit
whoof

Post by whoof »

Just looked at tourist figures in millions (2016) number of people coming from abroad and staying (therefore doesn't include just transfers)
France 82.6
Spain 75.3
Italy 52.4
UK 35.8

France, Spain and Italy have had tourist taxes for years.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I haven't heard of the Scottish one, but they are getting popular.

The Thailand tourism minister had just mooted one.

Last year Malaysia introduced a £2 per night tax on hotels for foreigners. This is particularly galling for solo cyclists like me as it is £2 on a £10 room but still £2 on a family of nn in a £150 room.

Certainly one to keep an eye on.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Interesting points well made. A bit more searching produced this:
https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2019/1 ... urist-tax/
- though again it expresses the view of those tasked with collecting the tax and probably most likely to be affected by its imposition.
It certainly wouldn't deter me from visiting the area again as a solo cycle tourist and as long as the proceeds are used to improve local tourist infrastructure it could be a force for the good.
I've no axe to grind but feel a little uneasy that once the principle has been established "cash-strapped local authorities" everywhere may be inclined to jump on the band wagon.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Reads very like a motoring lobby campaigning against a rise in fuel duty.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Syd

Post by Syd »

whoof wrote:Just looked at tourist figures in millions (2016) number of people coming from abroad and staying (therefore doesn't include just transfers)
France 82.6
Spain 75.3
Italy 52.4
UK 35.8

France, Spain and Italy have had tourist taxes for years.

Indeed.

I’m just back from a few days in Lille. The tourist tax was a minimal part of the expenditure and certainly didn’t put us off.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Deduct the cost of admin for collecting and administering the 'tax', and what monies might remain?

In any case, the chance of any of the money garnered being spent on cyclist's will be virtually nil, if the current situation is anything to go by lip service promises by; a politician's ego do not a cycle path make.

Happy days,
Attachments
Mind that tree.jpg
Cycle path.jpg
All clear.png
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

The article seems to completely miss (or deliberately ignore) the fact that any drop in the value of Sterling makes UK based holidays cheaper.

If sterling is under pressure then extra taxes will be offset by lower actual cost to the tourist based on their own currency (which they are ultimately using to pay).

The main downside, as already mentioned, is that the overhead in collecting 1-2% of not very much is going to erode the net takings.

Edit: to me one issue is that at a time when holidays outside the UK are more expensive and under more pressure due to politics and dodgy tourist airlines it is probably not the best time to increase the cost of UK based "staycations". Increased tourist numbers are more likely to yield extra revenue than additional taxation.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

pwa wrote:If tourism tax money is directed at facilities for tourists it could be a good thing. How do we pay for the creation and maintenance of footpaths and trails across the countryside, the installation of picnic benches and so on?

Some of these are/were funded by the EU via the agri-environment schemes. Landowners can apply for grants for building and maintaining footpaths, replacing gates, providing benches, etc.

Perhaps the tourism tax is needed because these EU grants will no longer be available post-Brexit?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Whether there is a need for extra funds and what they will be used on I do not know, but I’m really wondering how logical it is to tax tourism. Taxing tourists surely must make a destination less attractive and that in turn typically reduces visitor numbers. Visitors bring income to places (they spend money in shops, hotels, cafes, and attractions) and without them coming businesses begin to fail and people are made redundant. Perhaps I’m missing something here but overall it seems like a bad idea for Scotland, however for Scotland to do it is a good idea for the rest of the U.K. as it helps to make Wales, Northern Ireland and England relatively cheaper.
Last edited by Carlton green on 12 Dec 2019, 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If a tax produced the dry warm environment shown in the pictures Morzedec has posted I reckon it’d be worth it :wink:

A tax on the NC 500 might be a good place to start.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Paulatic wrote:If a tax produced the dry warm environment shown in the pictures Morzedec has posted I reckon it’d be worth it :wink:

A tax on the NC 500 might be a good place to start.

I don’t associate good weather with Scotland, but perhaps I should try harder ... :wink:

Places on the NC500 all serve tourists too, would that hotel, pub, village shop or garage still be there without passing trade?
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Carlton green wrote:Whether there is a need for extra funds and what they will be used on I do not know, but I’m really wondering how logical it is to tax tourism. Taxing tourists surely must make a destination less attractive and that in turn typically reduces visitor numbers. Visitors bring income to places (they spend money in shops, hotels, cafes, and attractions) and without them coming businesses begin to fail and people are made redundant. Perhaps I’m missing something here but overall it seems like a bad idea for Scotland, however for Scotland to do it is a good idea for the rest of the U.K. as it helps to make Wales, Northern Ireland and England relatively cheaper.

They have been taxing tourism in France for quite a while. And I don't think it puts people off going there. If I wanted to go to Scotland I would not be deterred by an extra £50 or whatever. And if that money were channelled directly into making the place better for me to enjoy my holiday it could end up increasing my desire to go there.