Poland/Belarus border posts open to cyclists ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
level1

Poland/Belarus border posts open to cyclists ?

Post by level1 »

Hi there again,

I am working on my route towards Russia.
I have been told that not all border posts between Poland and Belarus are open to cyclists/pedestrians.
Does anyone know which ones are ?
Thanks,

L.
Steve

Re: Poland/Belarus border posts open to cyclists ?

Post by Steve »

This got me interested and I found this

https://gpk.gov.by/en/situation-at-the-border/map/

which suggests almost all crossing points are on motorways. Presumably those that aren't, would allow cyclists. But you might be better off searching blogs etc and finding out what other cyclists have done.
level1

Post by level1 »

Thanks Steve.
That is pretty helpful.
I have been told that the 2 border crossings closest to Brest are only open to motor vehicles.
The ones further north ( there appears to be a couple ) might be open for cyclists.
el flaco

Post by el flaco »

There is a border only for pedestrians and cyclists in the forest that straddles the two countries.

Look up the Belarus visa website. FCO says it is for tour groups only. I am working on getting a tourist card that is the problem.

The visa free crossing is only for western Belarus. Russia will not accept anybody from the Belarus border.

You might like to reconsider Belarus and go to Russia via Lithuania.

Or you could get a visa at huge cost and inconvenience.
level1

Post by level1 »

Thanks for the advice.
I am bent on visiting Belarus. Never been, I am intrigued and currently applying for my visa.
I will use one of the 2 crossings east of Bialystok.
I know I can't cross into Russia from Belarus, hence my looping around through the Baltic States.
fra

Post by fra »

1) Border Terespol
Only car border crossing.
You can write letter about
Write briefly that you are riding a bicycle. Enter the date and passport number. You should get an answer.
terespol@strazgraniczna.pl
Text answers.
- Polish border guards have no problem. You can go.
- Belarusian border guard is making problems.
- Preferably you go by train.

When I crossed the border, Poles said. If we let you, they have no choice. They will let you go too.
There is always a traffic jam. Ask the driver. Load the bike in the bus and ride. Don't pay money to anyone. This is legal.
2)
It is better to cross in Białowieża. This is one of the most important Polish parks, and on the Belarusian side is a beautiful reserve a few kilometers away. In Poland, you must see live bison and the original "Żubrówka" vodka. In the middle of the vodka is an ear of grass.

If you want, I can call there at the border crossing.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Never contemplated Belarus although Poland has been on the future trip list for a while. Now I want to see the reserves, bison and vodka!
level1

Post by level1 »

Thank you very much Fra for the advice and for volunteering to help !

I've already heard about the National Park straddling the border and I am considering going.
But to be frank it will depend on the weather conditions ( I am planning to be there in mid-March).
But who knows, one or 2 shots of Vodka may help :)
Is there a legal crossing I could use somewhere around Hajnowka ? I can't find one on my map.
I know I can cross into Belarus further north at Bierastavica or Bruzgi.

Terespol/Brest sounds like a hassle.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yep, see Bialowieza - before it's all cut down!

Fra's letter from the Polish border guard also says the problems with crossing at Terespol are to do with road safety and "traffic organization", which can be reorganized by calling the number given in advance.
el flaco

Post by el flaco »

Cycling in Belarus is wonderful, there is no traffic the roads are good and the drivers give you room when passing. However it is best to keep to the main roads (suicidal in other countries) the country roads are not sealed and with the sandy ground very hard to cycle on.
Unfortunately the villages are bypassed by the main roads. You will soon get bored by the endless forests and wheat fields. The country is flat with undulations, the wind can be trying at times.
I strongly recommend crossing at the forest, I was unable to do so but was there on the Belarus side.
Near the border you will come across large signs in English stating “Border Control Area”, don’t worry you are allowed to be there but there are increased police checks on cars.
I found the people friendly but they wouldn’t help with lifts, accommodation etc in the villages. Apparently they are very suspicious of foreigners.
The trains are bike friendly and dirt cheap as is the whole country.
I would cross into Lithuania at the border close to the soviet statue park/museum.
How I wish that I could join you. Please let us know how you get on with your Belarus visa.
PaulDR

Post by PaulDR »

Does anyone know if it is possible to go Belarus through Krynki?

Last year I went from Białystok to Krynki (~110Km) in one day and I was wondering if it is possible to get to Belarus,specifically to Malaya Bierastavica from Krynki.If you take the road from Grodzieńska to Belarus there is no border control and when you reach Belarus I’d only have to continue through H6669 to this village.

So basically the question : is it possible to go through this route to Belarus and come back to Poland on the same day without checking any border control (and without consecuences)

I read there is a visa free for up to 10 days but there are some requirements like health insurance and (most likely but unspecify) checking a border control