Avanti West Coast - good news

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Avanti West Coast - good news

Post by Sweep »

Well, report back.

Another decent trip.

Ease of bike booking online, great help at getting on the train at Preston - just made myself known to Avanti folk on the platform and a guy told me where to stand and came to help me on when the train rolled in from Scotland.

Way better than my last experience with East Coast where I was blamed on arrival in London for making the train late (rot) and faced a massive gap between train and platform to haul a fully loaded bike - Avanti's Pendolino's have a step which rolls out to let you on. Two other cyclists on the train - one got on later - access to the bike loading area made this stress free so we could arrange things. Seats "reserved for cyclists" in the adjacent quiet coach.

The train was actually, I calculate, 31 mins late, which I think entitles me to a partial refund but may feel a bit bad about claiming - I think this was because of flooding north of Preston.

In short, I would recommend Avanti West Coast.

After what I've read on here, won't be rushing to use East Coast.
Sweep
wirral_cyclist

Re: Avanti West Coast - good news

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Sweep wrote:Well, report back.
<SNIP>

The train was actually, I calculate, 31 mins late, which I think entitles me to a partial refund but may feel a bit bad about claiming - I think this was because of flooding north of Preston.

In short, I would recommend Avanti West Coast.

After what I've read on here, won't be rushing to use East Coast.

I'm told everyone should claim as it gives focus to shortcomings that need addressing - at 1 min into claim eligibility I'd waiver too...

Avanti are just a different branding for the previous Virgin West Coast staff etc so of course they are still just as good.
East Coast is also a new name for previous staff etc, and again reflect previous standards - may have had a bit of Virgin branding but absolutely no comparison!

Glad it all worked out.