Bike-and-train touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
50sbiker

Re: Bike-and-train touring

Postby 50sbiker » 30 Jan 2020, 4:18pm

""""Left in the 1980s. I grew up seeing bomb damage all.""""......ROFL....pity ...you missed a treat...To this day i use my mountain bike daily to avoid Bomb craters around Durham and Newcastle

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 30 Jan 2020, 4:35pm

LithiumFan wrote: All in all a great trip. I could not fly because my battery was 17Ah but not a problem on the trains.

Oooh, I hadn't thought about the Batteries-on-a-Plane issue!

Perhaps we'll get a few more cyclists on the anti-flying side ... : )

sebdickson

Postby sebdickson » 20 Feb 2020, 3:41pm

I've done it twice through Belgium, to allow me to get further into Germany on a round trip tour.

Ferry to Calais/Dunkerque, cycle to Ostende across the border, then hop on the train. There is a 5e supplement for a bike, with an absolutely cavernous area on the lower deck of a carriage to store the bike. For people under 26 and over 65 SNCB does a flat fee from anywhere to anywhere for 6.60e, but its pretty reasonable standard fares as well

I did Ostende-Antwerp on the way out, looped round in Netherlands and Germany for a fortnight and caught the train Liege-Ostende on the way back. This gained me about 400km.

Before anyone calls me out, Belgium is a lovely place to ride a bike, with lovely towns, a spectacular bike network and considerate drivers, I just had toured and cycled in it quite a few times before and wanted to see somewhere new!

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Feb 2020, 5:48pm

sebdickson wrote:Ferry to Calais/Dunkerque, cycle to Ostende across the border, then hop on the train. There is a 5e supplement for a bike, with an absolutely cavernous area on the lower deck of a carriage to store the bike. For people under 26 and over 65 SNCB does a flat fee from anywhere to anywhere for 6.60e, but its pretty reasonable standard fares as well

Yes, quite a lot of discount options too. De Panne station is nearer the border than Ostende and now connected by cycleways and 20mph streets to the town nearest Dunkerque port (Loon-Plage), but trains go mainly to Antwerp so change in Gent for most other places. Dunkerque port to Loon-Plage is annoying, or you can wait for the lorries to go past and then take the more direct motorway feeder road - I'm unsure which is quicker or easier.

SNCB are wonderful. On the UK side, Southeastern are mostly OK (six bike spaces per train no reservations to St Pancras, bikes in doorways on slower trains to Victoria or Charing Cross) but unable to cope with peak bike ferry traffic like bank holiday evenings.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.