Views on GARMIN e Trex 32x

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Views on GARMIN e Trex 32x

Postby Sweep » 3 Feb 2020, 8:48pm

pwa wrote:I've just stuck a 19km track in the e trex to give it a test tomorrow, using a twisting journey along local lanes. A bit artificial as I know where I am going but I will pretend I don't. g.

Congratulations. You are definitely going about this the right way. Look forward to your report back.
Sweep

ANTONISH

Postby ANTONISH » 4 Feb 2020, 9:22am

mattheus wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:"Ride with GPS" is an excellent resource but not free.

Oh yes it is !!!

(that's the 2nd thread where i've corrected that, just this week IIRC :) )

I stand corrected (perhaps) - actually when I first tried it one had to pay a subscription to get full use ( as I understand it) although there was a limited free use option- my club pays a subscription for members and I have to log in to use it - given that, I'm still not sure how "free" it is.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 4 Feb 2020, 9:37am

ANTONISH wrote:
mattheus wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:"Ride with GPS" is an excellent resource but not free.

Oh yes it is !!!

(that's the 2nd thread where i've corrected that, just this week IIRC :) )

I stand corrected (perhaps) - actually when I first tried it one had to pay a subscription to get full use ( as I understand it) although there was a limited free use option- my club pays a subscription for members and I have to log in to use it - given that, I'm still not sure how "free" it is.

What can you do for free?
Can you edit routes?
Had the idea that i looked a while ago and found the free functions too limited to make it worthwhile.
Sweep

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 4 Feb 2020, 10:27am

Try this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26834185

I think you now need to *register* to edit routes, maybe? Free, as with 99% of web-sites these days.

(I used it for years before paying in September - that was because the paid version downloads map squares to your device, so I would have maps of my October trip on my phone as backup. Not sure what other features a subscription gets you.)

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 4 Feb 2020, 10:34am

mattheus wrote:Try this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26834185

I think you now need to *register* to edit routes, maybe? Free, as with 99% of web-sites these days.

(I used it for years before paying in September - that was because the paid version downloads map squares to your device, so I would have maps of my October trip on my phone as backup. Not sure what other features a subscription gets you.)

Will check out, thanks.
I don't need to actually store any routes long term as once I'm done i store the finessed gpx files to googledrive so that i can always get at them from my tablet or chromebooks to put on the etrex.
Sweep

pwa

Postby pwa » 4 Feb 2020, 2:06pm

Well I'm back from a 19+km ride using a track on the 32x and all went well. I played around with the panning to get it to a point where I could see enough detail but at the same time had enough warning of what was coming. I settled for having about 200m of road ahead on the screen. The only time when that needs caution is when descending, when 200m can pass quickly. But bearing in mind that I am looking for a system that works with two grey haired folk with camping gear, panniers and questionable desire to go fast, it seems a good compromise. The worst that is likely to happen is that I take my eye off the ball, we miss a turn, but I will have seen the turn and will already be asking myself whether we should have taken it. A quick check will show that we need to retrace 50m. And I don't think that will be happening very often.

The sky is grey today so my one remaining question is how I will get on reading the screen in sunlight.

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 4 Feb 2020, 3:20pm

You can zoom in and out while riding, depending on the circumstances. In a densely inhabited town with many small streets you will need more detail than on a desert road. If you miss a turn, you will know because you will have lost the purple line of the track. My old Etrex 30 is sometimes hard to read in bright sunlight, but apparently the more recent models are better in that respect.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 4 Feb 2020, 3:29pm

pwa wrote:

The sky is grey today so my one remaining question is how I will get on reading the screen in sunlight.

Have never had a great problem.

You can of course turn the brightness up, and flip the toggle button to bring the light on for brief periods.

Glad you are happy with it - you seem to have got to grips with it very quickly.
Sweep

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 4 Feb 2020, 3:59pm

The centres of London and Paris (neither of which I know all that well) are the only places where the system has broken down a little for me; unless you ride at 6mph, you need to zoom in so far that the "world" flies across the screen too fast to be useful!
2 easy solutions;
- get an idea of the route in your head, or
- ride at 6mph and enjoy the sights!

I've found setting the scale bar to 200m is about right for most other situations (based on someone else's advice). I always mean to set warnings on the steep-descent-turnoffs, but I've been too lazy to date!

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 4 Feb 2020, 4:11pm

I usually ride at 80m to the scale bar, and this works fine with me, but I am a slow rider.

pwa

Postby pwa » 4 Feb 2020, 4:29pm

I'll play around with the distance thing. As pointed out, it probably depends on local conditions. With the network of lanes I was on today, having the bar at 200m may have worked. The junctions were not densely packed. But when I get on the Taff Trail, which jumps from former rail line to residential street to God knows what, a more detailed look could be on the cards. And we won't be going all that fast on the shared use track anyway.

Battery preservation may be something to consider. So far I have just had the backlight on full all the time, partly to see how battery life fairs. Ideally I will get at least one seven hour day of cycling from two very good rechargeable AAs, which we will recharge when we can. I may pack three pairs. The charger is not heavy and not that bulky. We will buy disposables on tour only if desperate.

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 4 Feb 2020, 5:59pm

As I said, my typical battery life is some five days of riding, but I don't have the backlight on permanently.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 4 Feb 2020, 10:30pm

I don't have the backlight on at all.

It comes on automatically as I approach key points.

Switches off after a minute or so I think (you can select the delay).

If I need to reassure myself about something at other times I just flick the joystick and it will come on and then auto switch off according to that set delay.

Come to think of it, this is yet another good reason for my (faff to some I know) construction of routes just marking turns.

I don't need to see the display clearly all the time as I would if I was following a breadcrumb trail.

That must save a lot of battery.
Sweep

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 6 Feb 2020, 7:59am

Any chance of you posting a screenshot of one of your routes Sweep?
I can only think of one way your method would work and it would mean that the purple line just goes straight from turn to turn without actually following the road or trail in between those points. Hope you can show me otherwise as I'm always losing the purple line on my tracks when I miss turns :?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 6 Feb 2020, 8:20am

Vantage wrote:Any chance of you posting a screenshot of one of your routes Sweep?
I can only think of one way your method would work and it would mean that the purple line just goes straight from turn to turn without actually following the road or trail in between those points. Hope you can show me otherwise as I'm always losing the purple line on my tracks when I miss turns :?

I don't know for sure what Sweep is doing, but the above is EXACTLY what riders did in the early days, especially when the devices did not have maps on them. It works perfectly, based on the riders I have witnessed up close.