Bikepacking Mongolia - logistics

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
trevstonbury

Bikepacking Mongolia - logistics

Postby trevstonbury » 18 Jan 2020, 9:25am

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of biking in Mongolia? My partner and I are looking to go later this year but wanted to get an idea of the logistics of getting your bikes out there. Does anyone have experience or any advice on this?

cheers

Trevor

simonhill

Re: Bikepacking Mongolia - logistics

Postby simonhill » 18 Jan 2020, 4:10pm

If you are just talking about getting your bikes there, then it is no different to getting them anywhere.

Find which airlines fly there and then see if they take bikes. You have to dig into their baggage terms and conditions.

Looking at Skyscanner, there are only a few airlines that go from UK. Turkish seem reasonably priced. Not sure if they take bikes. I think they do, some on here have used them (Matt?).

I usually box in LBS cardboard box. Leave it at first hotel for use on return trip.

Edit:
From Skyscanner, return:
Turkish £643, 14 hrs
Air China £494, 29 hrs

Neil Wheadon

Re: Bikepacking Mongolia - logistics

Postby Neil Wheadon » 6 Feb 2020, 10:44pm

Ulaanbatar will be your target.
Last year there were 2 ways that members of this tour got there
Turkish Airlines which fly via Istanbul
Chinese Airlines that fly via Bejing
The latter was a lot cheaper, but we flew for the Nadaam Festival which is very popular.

Mongolia is an awesome place to go, we absolutely loved it.
It depends where you want to go as it's a big country, so i would have thought that getting to and from your start/finish point would be as much of an issue

We went supported, hiring bikes out there, video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEEfkBThTAs&t=61s

I hope you get there
Neil
Image Attachments
_69A0738.JPG
Nadaam Archery
CTC Tour Leader