Visiting North-East England / Scottish Borders

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MarchesCyclist

Visiting North-East England / Scottish Borders

Postby MarchesCyclist » 24 Jan 2020, 8:59am

I'd be really grateful for some suggestions about cycling in the North-East of England or Scottish Borders. I'm leading a group from the Welsh Marches on a cycling holiday in the early autumn. We plan on staying in one place, and doing some day rides on road. We'll aim for 50-70 miles / day with cafe stops and maybe a bit of sight seeing. We'd rather avoid anywhere hilly. Does anyone have any thoughts on a good place to base ourselves? Thanks. :D

Galloper

Re: Visiting North-East England / Scottish Borders

Postby Galloper » 24 Jan 2020, 7:58pm

1st suggestion, Durham. There is an extensive network of rail paths which cover large parts of the county and link to others in the region. Being rail paths, mainly, gradients are gentle but will take you right up into the Pennines. Path quality is generally good but more suitable for hybrids or tourers than road bikes.

#2. Peebles. More road based and certainly hillier in parts but the Tweed Valley and surrounding areas are well worth exploring. I'd recommend getting the Sustrans area maps as these will show plenty of enjoyable routes

#3 Wooler. Great cycling and wonderful scenery, hillier perhaps but not too strenuous if you pick your routes carefully, again, Sustrans maps recommended.

#4 Berwick-upon-Tweed. Getting hillier but some lovely riding along the coast.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 24 Jan 2020, 8:50pm

We cycle camped on tandems from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Great trip. Anywhere near the middle of that would give a lot of interesting day rides. I'd start by looking at Berwick and Coldstream and Melrose.

And do include Lindisfarne.

Jonathan

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 24 Jan 2020, 8:58pm

I live in North Northumberland. I would suggest Wooler. Many themed cycle routes of varying length/difficulty. You should get to the coast or various Border towns or Alnwick easily.
John

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 24 Jan 2020, 9:09pm

I’d echo the Berwick - Melrose suggestion not many hills in that area but within striking distance of scenery with a few hills for variety.
Those Durham cycle routes on old railways are certainly very rideable but when heavily tree lined the views are limited.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

st599_uk

Postby st599_uk » 25 Jan 2020, 7:59am

I'd go for a 2 stop trip Wooler. Easy to get to the coast, some stunning rides through the Cheviots.
Must see:
Caster - Victorian smokehouses
Lindisfarne - make sure you arrive just as the causeway opens, tide times online or in local press
College valley - stunning views, but isolated.
Then train from Alnmouth to Haltwhistle to stay at YHA The Still.
Must see:
Hadrian's Wall
Vindolanda
Allan Banks
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

swscotland bentrider

Postby swscotland bentrider » 25 Jan 2020, 4:21pm

Well, the Borders are hilly - thats almost unavoidable. My mates and I always based ourselves in Melrose. Very central, very scenic, loads of places of interest and most places can be reached in a day.