Dutch North Sea bike path

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
iandriver

Re: Dutch North Sea bike path

Post by iandriver »

ratherbeintobago wrote:I think if this ever happens, the likely plan would involve bikes on the car to the U.K. end of the ferry.

Is there any provision for bikes on the ferry?

Very much so on the Harwich ferries (haven't used others). There are lines of barrier with ropes attached for you to tie your bike to.

Only thing I do is take a small lock to secure your panniers to the rack. Unless you want to have them with you for a near 8 hour trip. I didn't spot anywhere secure to leave them like lockers.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mjr

Post by mjr »

ratherbeintobago wrote:I think if this ever happens, the likely plan would involve bikes on the car to the U.K. end of the ferry.

Yes. They know how many bikes are booked on Harwich to HvH and put out enough of various racks and railings on the goods deck to strap bikes to. Take your own straps or learn how to do a tight turns and half-hitch in a rope. Take cloth or something else to pad contact points between bike and rack or rope if you are precious about the paint - that may also be useful on some ferries inside the Netherlands, such as HvH to Maasvlaakte.

At Harwich, bikes usually queue in lane 1 and load before cars, in a gap in the goods traffic. At HvH, I've ridden straight on non-stop (having stopped for dinner nearby) so not sure about queuing.

There must be loads of photos online or I can probably upload some if you can't find any.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i've taken the bike on Hull - Europoort a couple of times (and used the crossing with a car a bunch more). At either end you have a steep ramp to conquer to load so beware of that (its particularly interesting on the way back as its higher and steeper than anything you will have ridden in coastal Holland!). At Hull, if you are there before loading starts there is a bike waiting zone and you'll usually be loaded first across the bridge, if you are later you may ride straight on or have a short delay as cars are loaded. At the Dutch end you queue on the dock, in theory bikes load first but very often the stewards will allow a few cars or m/c's to gazzump you. At both ports you have access to the terminal building after check in for toilets and shelter, possibly even a drink.

On board, where the bikes are parked will vary depending on the rest of the load and both ships on the route are pretty much identical. Usually you park in the middle of the car deck with the motorbikes against the ramp railings where a variety of straps and ropes are available. If there are a lot of m/c's however, you will be parked close to the boarding door against a bulk head. As its an overnight crossing you have to have a cabin, whether you take all your bags up is of course up to you but there is no access to the car deck from departure to arrival so apart from the obvious pump/computer etc i'd be happy to and indeed have, left the bags i don't need on the bike with no extra security.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Think there were over 50 on the one I got (Sunday, midsummer). Plus motorbikes.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Done the Harwich ferry a few times. We just take a valuables bag up with us and a food one (cos we're cheapskates) and leave everything else on the bike. As was said above, you can't access the deck so it's as safe as leaving your bike outside a cafe.
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

Done the Harwich ferry a few times. We just take a valuables bag up with us and a food one (cos we're cheapskates) and leave everything else on the bike. As was said above, you can't access the deck so it's as safe as leaving your bike outside a cafe.

We do exactly that - there are supermarkets near the ferry terminal in Harwich and in the town at Hoek van Holland. Have a big feed and a bottle of wine in the cabin avoiding the crowding and high prices on the boat. Take my bar bag with me and leave the rest - there are a lot of stairs. Get a good nights kip and you`re fresh for the road in the morning.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

Came home from a long tour around France/Switzerland/Austria/Slovakia/Czechia/Germany, from the German border to the Hoek van Holland ferry last summer. A few things to note - during school summer holidays it get very busy, campsites along the coast are packed - we had to cycle inland to find space. The Afsluitdijk bus was chaos last summer - near riots as there were far too many cyclist to get on board, some of whom had been waiting over 2hrs. Get the Dutch atlas of cycle routes - it shows all routes and the number junction points and you can navigate easily, avoiding the crowded bits.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

RobinS wrote:The Afsluitdijk bus was chaos last summer - near riots as there were far too many cyclist to get on board, some of whom had been waiting over 2hrs.

Is there a way round on public transport? Frankly the Afsluitdijk sounds more of a pain than a high point?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The Afsluitdijk is boring: 32 km of a straight road with a big dike on one side and water on the other. You have two alternatives. The first is to go via the islands to the north, and in particular take a ferry from the mainland to Texel, and then Texel to Vlieland, see here for that small ferry: https://www.waddenveer.nl/nl/texel-vlieland-v-v After that you can take a ferry from Vlieland to Harlingen.
The altermative is to take a ferry further south, from Enkhuizen to Stavoren: http://www.veerboot.info/
Last edited by willem jongman on 17 May 2021, 2:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratherbeintobago

80 min on a ferry vs the thick end of 2h pedalling along a dike seems a no-brainer.
ratherbeintobago

I notice the Kustroute has been nominated for Bike Route of the Year 2021. Does that mean the Afsluitdijk is open?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Sadly not, but there are busses that take bicycles. To be honest, it is a deadly boring stretch, so you might as well be done with it quickly.
Last edited by willem jongman on 17 May 2021, 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratherbeintobago

willem jongman wrote: 17 May 2021, 2:07pm Sadly not, but there are busses. To be honest, it is a deadly boring stretch, so you might as well be done with it quickly.
I think the ferry as suggested above is probably a better plan?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

If you want to enjoy yourself, surely. The islands are lovely but will take more time.
ratherbeintobago

They do suggest island hopping as an alternative.