Dutch North Sea bike path

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Dutch North Sea bike path

Post by willem jongman »

Check the links I posted earlier.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Boring can be good. Could be a great ride with few walkers,few cyclists even? (+2!) So much for alleged cycle-friendliness in NL
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The dike is being reconstructed after almost a century, to meet current ecological and safety standards. Also, the locks were tired. There have been unexpected problems with the renovation of the locks and this is causing additional delays, particularly for cyclists. See here: https://theafsluitdijk.com/
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

If cycling Belgium up into Netherlands, very southern costal area of NL is horrible for camping. Only site I could find was Groede n the coast and it was more a caravan/motorhome/chalet resort. I arrived on bike with tent and got "we're full". After a bit of "discussion with one of the reception team they said they did have a small tent area and if I could squeeze in I could stay and it was small and I did squeeze in and it was still very expensive. But it's a beach resort directly inside the dunes ...

I have no idea what other costal sites in the Netherlands are like as I then took the ferry across to Vlissingen and headed inland.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

If you want to ride one of the big dikes then the Houtribdijk to the south (northern end of the Markermeer) is virtually the same length as the Afsluitdijk and undoubtedly just as boring (as willem said above). But I'm still glad I did it as it was worth the experience. And although I don't like Lelystad, the camp site there is good.

Ian
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

willem jongman wrote: 17 May 2021, 2:31pm The dike is being reconstructed after almost a century, to meet current ecological and safety standards. Also, the locks were tired. There have been unexpected problems with the renovation of the locks and this is causing additional delays, particularly for cyclists. See here: https://theafsluitdijk.com/
I'm impressed it's got it's own website...
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 17 May 2021, 1:45pm I notice the Kustroute has been nominated for Bike Route of the Year 2021. Does that mean the Afsluitdijk is open?
Nope, many LF routes are being discontinued, and the ones left are turned into an experience by marketeers. This is just another sign of the times
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The Afsluitdijk is an iconic construction that changed our defenses against the sea, and enabled the reclamation of a lot of new land. The current project is not cheap, will make quite an ecological difference, but in the meantime the renovation will be very inconvenient for some people.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Psamathe wrote: 17 May 2021, 3:23pm If cycling Belgium up into Netherlands, very southern costal area of NL is horrible for camping. Only site I could find was Groede n the coast and it was more a caravan/motorhome/chalet resort. I arrived on bike with tent and got "we're full". After a bit of "discussion with one of the reception team they said they did have a small tent area and if I could squeeze in I could stay and it was small and I did squeeze in and it was still very expensive. But it's a beach resort directly inside the dunes ...

I have no idea what other costal sites in the Netherlands are like as I then took the ferry across to Vlissingen and headed inland.

Ian
For a cyclist any coastal campground will be overpriced and catering for wholly different type of tourist.
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

m-gineering wrote: 17 May 2021, 3:41pm
Psamathe wrote: 17 May 2021, 3:23pm If cycling Belgium up into Netherlands, very southern costal area of NL is horrible for camping. Only site I could find was Groede n the coast and it was more a caravan/motorhome/chalet resort. I arrived on bike with tent and got "we're full". After a bit of "discussion with one of the reception team they said they did have a small tent area and if I could squeeze in I could stay and it was small and I did squeeze in and it was still very expensive. But it's a beach resort directly inside the dunes ...

Ian
For a cyclist any coastal campground will be overpriced and catering for wholly different type of tourist.
In NL I try to stick to "mini-camping". Turn-up on a bike and they seem to assume you are exhausted and need lots of love and attention. Had owners interrupt me whilst I'm assembling my camp chair bringing me their chairs and tables from their private garden for my 1 night there. Had owners ask me is it would be alright for them to put an arriving campervan 20 m away and then those in the camper coming over to thank me for saying yes! I've assumed you get such kindness at these min-camping because of the nature of those running them rather than just because you're on a bike.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 17 May 2021, 2:20pm Boring can be good. Could be a great ride with few walkers,few cyclists even? (+2!) So much for alleged cycle-friendliness in NL
Compare it with the cycleways along sea banks in South Holland, England: 2.7miles (2.1miles east of Sutton Bridge, 0.6miles across Fosdyke) out of 28.

NL is very cycle friendly!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.