Tiree

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Steve

Tiree

Post by Steve »

Interesting letter in the latest CTC mag about cycling on Tiree. Whoever promotes this nonsense needs re-educating!

https://www.isleoftiree.com/road-users/

I see the contact for that website is

louise@tireetrust.org.uk

so I may just drop her a line to point out where and how their advice differs from the Highway Code.
rualexander

Re: Tiree

Post by rualexander »

They've been spouting that nonsense for years
viewtopic.php?t=58440
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I realise this will probably cause negative comments but I don't see anything wrong with it. It's aimed a those who don't know how to use passing places.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

bogmyrtle wrote:I realise this will probably cause negative comments but I don't see anything wrong with it. It's aimed a those who don't know how to use passing places.

Totally agree. I would strongly oppose formalising this with legislation, as that would be giving a dangerous message about the rights of bikes to be on the road, but I think it's just being a decent human to try and help traffic get past on a single-track road. I do this on my regular Dartmoor circuit and don't feel in the least bit violated or emasculated as I get a grateful wave from the other person and return to cycling on my own in peace and quiet.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bogmyrtle wrote:I realise this will probably cause negative comments but I don't see anything wrong with it. It's aimed a those who don't know how to use passing places.

+1,I don't see the problem with allowing faster traffic past on single track roads that I'd otherwise hold up,if there's room for me to stop and let them pass what's the problem?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden