Mont St Michel ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Mont St Michel ?

Post by Woodtourer »

Has anyone visited during one of your tours? How did you doi it? Camp close by and visit?
Thanks!
djb

Re: Mont St Michel ?

Post by djb »

I did, about a million years ago, well 28 yrs. Found an obscure spot ish, in an area where regular visitors weren't going, locked my bike with panniers and went off kind a just hoping.... it was still there at the end of the day.
Many years later I camped at a nearby camp ground and drove and parked a car in the parking.
If I were to do it again biking, I'd probably leave my stuff in campground and walk or maybe there are shuttles now. The car camping time was already over ten years ago, so not up to date with how restricted it is getting there. I believe it's more restrictive now for cars, and very well could be even for bikes.

Good luck finding up to date info.
It is a cool place to visit.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I visited about 15 years ago when you could ride all the way along the causeway and leave your bike very close to the entrance. This was early one June afternoon and I did not get more than a few yards beyond the entrance because the crowds were so dense it was almost impossible to make headway. I retreated and left.

I went past again 2 years ago, but the rules have changed and you cannot ride the causeway, your bike has to be left in the car park/restaurant areas which I did not want to do.

On each occasion I was just passing, not staying very nearby. I would only have spent an hour or 2 there so I had plenty of flexibility for campsites further away.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I called in while I was cycling around New Zealand (NB. I'd diverted over to Italy, then the Western Highlands but decided to drop in to see it, as I was close by). Camped just down the road and called in)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Look at Google street view for latest pictures.

There are across the road opening barriers presumably to allow authorised vehicles. A few vans and also what looks like a shuttle bus on the road. Not always easy to see or read all the signs, but a little further down is a no cycling sign on the side of the road (right hand side). However on the other side (left going towards St M) is a shared pedestrian and cyclepath sign. Can't see any bikes, but it looks like you can ride all the way.

If you go to the St M end, you will see a few bikes leaning against the walls. I'm surprised there is no parking provided as it is a bike path, maybe there is somewhere.

There are lots of people milling around this area so theft is less of a risk. Also anyone stealing a bike would have to ride the length of the causeway with no chance of escape till reaching the barriers at the far end.

Have a look and see. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.63441 ... 704!8i4352
djb

Post by djb »

as for leaving your bike with panniers, even recently when I have visited touristy things while biking in France, I've just judiciously chosen a spot, put my coil lock through as many pannier handles as I can and maybe a wheel, and basically judge the situation and specific location as to how high or low the risk factor is.
Last time as an example was at one of the more fancy/large Chateaux along the Loire river. Lots of tourists, well, really only tourists to be realistic, so leaving our two bikes slightly out of sight of the main approaching crowd direction, but still visible to some people sitting around, locked the bikes side by side and did the pannier handle thing.

The chances of mom and pop tourist wanting to steal something from a touring bicycle is generally pretty low, so you just go with your instincts and go for it, no other choice really in these sort of situations.

and I've often done the old "leave some underwear or bike shorts turned inside out drying" trick in these sort of situations also....
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

And I thought the underwear on the Panniers was my idea!!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Woodtourer wrote:And I thought the underwear on the Panniers was my idea!!

preferabley smelly and soiled? :lol:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mercalia wrote:

preferabley smelly and soiled? :lol:

There's a web site for that ..... :roll: :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I cycled there around 4 years ago.
Home -> Rhine -> Rhone -> Canal de Midi then followed the coast around to the Mont.
Cycled out to the Mont itself on the cycleway, couldn't see anywhere to lock my bent trike to so just cycled back.
Been there, seen it, didn't get a T-shirt ....... :lol:
I must have camped somewhere local but don't remember where.
From the Mont it was due south to Nantes.
Then Loire -> Rhine -> Danube -> Elbe -> North Sea coast -> Home.
A nice figure 8 tour covering around 6,000 mile.

Luck ............ :D
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I haven't used it personally but there is an official place to leave bikes now, near P10 on this map: http://www.bienvenueaumontsaintmichel.c ... active-map
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I couldn't find a map on that link, but did find other useful info under the arriving by bicycle section.

Quote:
Indeed, bicycles are authorised on the green path - on the wooden planking west of the walkway (measures ensuing from the municipal decree of the town of Mont-Saint-Michel dated 01/12/2014):

from 1 October to 30 April, 24 hours a day.
from 1 May to 30 September, before 10am and after 6pm.
Parking your bicycles is strictly prohibited all along the dyke walkway, the esplanade and at the foot of the fortification. Cyclists are thus required to leave their bicycles in the designated areas and to pursue their trip towards the town on foot or using the shuttles
djb

Post by djb »

An oldie but a goodie

Didn't see your message, am not getting notifications via emails when people respond to threads I've written in, or when I'm quoted.

And thanks to that person putting up the parking setup they have now. It's certainly changed in the 10+ years since I've been.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Yep, been twice. Camped in Pontorson having cycled down from Cherbourg and along from St Malo. Camping Haliotis is good and as I remember has a direct cycle path there.

Parking much changed I think but in 2010 and 2013 I was able to lock up quite close to the entrance.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I'm pretty sure I just locked up my bike next to the wall on the causeway, but not too close to the entrance?

JOGLE 070.jpg