Nantes - Cavaillon area route/ Insurance??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Morzedec

Re: Nantes - Cavaillon area route/ Insurance??

Postby Morzedec » 6 Feb 2020, 7:17pm

'Jour, Geoff, I did the deed for you.

Only three feet of grass? - you ought to try Deux-Sevres at this time of year, it's almost like an Amazon rainforest. Never know just which tribe might emerge from the undergrowth next.

Happy days,
Image Attachments
Nantes Brest towpath after rain.jpg

nat

Postby nat » 7 Feb 2020, 5:00pm

Again, immense thanks abound. Geoff, no I don't know exactly where, but it's most definitely on my way. Don't get me wrong, the sites I've frequented in the past in France (driving trips), have been great. Just gimme a village/town position and, I'll know whereabouts you are. I realise that this trip won't be the weather May of last, which was perfect. No other word for it. I have to put 'March head' on, at least until Nantes -ish?
It's absolutely astounding, the differing 'bedrooms' that can appear whilst travelling. I take particular interest in going slightly awry in this area. Varying reasons as to why, but memories will be the finality. So, let's make em good eh :)
At least travelling to, there'll be no more ruler-on-map/ take whatever comes thought process. On the way back in July, hmmm, I think a return to.

nsew

Postby nsew » 8 Feb 2020, 11:18am

Angstrom wrote:I plotted the areas I know and if you agree to climb, this is definitely a great route. Much more interesting than the route plotted by CT thoruhg Toulouse, which is, obviouly flatter.
Route Nantes - Avignon through the Cévennes.

I have added waypoints that matter at:
- Figeac (nice town)
- Conques (one of France's most beautiful villages. Very famous abbey on the pilgrim's way to Compostella.
- Gorges du Tarn : fantastic Canyon.
- Cévennes down to Anduze (end of RL Stevenson's journey with a Donkey)
- Uzès
- Pont du Gard.

Before Figeac, you would travel through the Dordogne area. Not bad (and you find lots of English speaking folks there :wink: ).

Time of the year matters of course. Going through the higher Cévennes provides for cooler nights.

A radically different option is to follow the Loire to Tours (Loire à vélo) and then Bourges, and back to Loire all the way up to near St Etienne, then up to Ardèche (fantastic view of the Alps in good weather) and down to the Rhone using Dolce Via cycle route to the Via Rhôna Cycle Route to Avignon. Less climb but still beautiful. Some long stretches through flat land with BIG fields near Bourges (but beautiful town).

Nantes - Avignon up the Loire

OP should be aware they’re going to be seriously up against it taking the Gorges du Tarn / Cevennes route in March. La Dolce Via is possibly my favorite ‘green way’ in France. Heading the other way makes for a great escape from the summer heat of the Rhône valley. Wild camps are often difficult to locate around the villages / towns of the Ardeche. Advice is don’t pass up a good spot towards the end of the day. Both routes are -5 deg rated sleeping bag.

Angstrom

Postby Angstrom » 8 Feb 2020, 2:55pm

nsew wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I plotted the areas I know and if you agree to climb, this is definitely a great route. Much more interesting than the route plotted by CT thoruhg Toulouse, which is, obviouly flatter.

- Figeac (nice town)
- Conques (one of France's most beautiful villages. Very famous abbey on the pilgrim's way to Compostella.
- Uzès
- Pont du Gard.

Before Figeac, you would travel through the Dordogne area. Not bad (and you find lots of English speaking folks there :wink: ).

Time of the year matters of course. Going through the higher Cévennes provides for cooler nights.

A radically different option is to follow the Loire to Tours (Loire à vélo) and then Bourges, and back to Loire all the way up to near St Etienne, then up to Ardèche (fantastic view of the Alps in good weather) and down to the Rhone using Dolce Via cycle route to the Via Rhôna Cycle Route to Avignon. Less climb but still beautiful. Some long stretches through flat land with BIG fields near Bourges (but beautiful town).

OP should be aware they’re going to be seriously up against it taking the Gorges du Tarn / Cevennes route in March. La Dolce Via is possibly my favorite ‘green way’ in France. Heading the other way makes for a great escape from the summer heat of the Rhône valley. Wild camps are often difficult to locate around the villages / towns of the Ardeche. Advice is don’t pass up a good spot towards the end of the day. Both routes are -5 deg rated sleeping bag.

I must confess that I did not pay enough attention to the time of the year mentioned by Nat when I recommended the routes. :oops:
However, I was in the area in January, and believe it or not it was quite ridable then. Admittedly, that's unusual. Decision about which route to take must be made too many days in advance to safely base it on weather forecast given the reliability of > 5 days forecasts.

They might be helpful to other travelers later in the year.

nsew

Postby nsew » 8 Feb 2020, 9:44pm

Angstrom wrote:
nsew wrote:

- Figeac (nice town)
- Uzès
- Pont du Gard.

I must confess that I did not pay enough attention to the time of the year mentioned by Nat when I recommended the routes. :oops:
However, I was in the area in January, and believe it or not it was quite ridable then. Admittedly, that's unusual. Decision about which route to take must be made too many days in advance to safely base it on weather forecast given the reliability of > 5 days forecasts.

They might be helpful to other travelers later in the year.

I think that’s a great route. It’s never occurred to me to do the southern route that way, may well use it. The Loire route being such an easy pleasant option. The whole Massif Central is a fantastic remote area, that ive discovered can catch you out pretty quickly - early in the year especially. It’s ‘the Mistral’ wind that is feared in the area. A bitterly cold northerly/westerly that can sustain itself for days through the areas valleys and plateaus. These photos are from early May. Spent the night under the truck and 36 hours between the dugouts. Minus temps and strong winds. Good kit and provisions are absolutely essential. Located these photos from an old way back machine. Forgot I had them, so thanks for the prompt.
Image Attachments
24311BEF-453E-49BF-BD13-9FC60E901017.jpeg
1007A1A3-809C-4346-8010-5807E544F053.jpeg
AE736114-BA03-4B5C-8E5B-6EA52B075EA5.jpeg
0273E903-DE14-4BC4-8CEE-330C89669034.jpeg

bretonbikes

Postby bretonbikes » 9 Feb 2020, 8:47am

It's a fabulous area to cycle - very 'untouristy' so be a bit aware that you may have to cover a few miles between watering holes and carry emergency grub. When I led a group there a few years back we had 90 kmh headwinds and managed 10 km one day - mostly on foot...
35 years of cycletouring, 30 years of running cycling holidays, 5 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 9 Feb 2020, 11:15am

nsew wrote:OP should be aware they’re going to be seriously up against it taking the Gorges du Tarn / Cevennes route in March. La Dolce Via is possibly my favorite ‘green way’ in France.

I've got that on the to-ride list - we have friends on the plateau near the top of the route who we go to visit every couple of years. Last year I did the (new, still slightly incomplete) Via Fluvia while there, but the Dolce Via looks really tempting...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

nsew

Postby nsew » 9 Feb 2020, 10:21pm

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
nsew wrote:OP should be aware they’re going to be seriously up against it taking the Gorges du Tarn / Cevennes route in March. La Dolce Via is possibly my favorite ‘green way’ in France.

I've got that on the to-ride list - we have friends on the plateau near the top of the route who we go to visit every couple of years. Last year I did the (new, still slightly incomplete) Via Fluvia while there, but the Dolce Via looks really tempting...

There’s a cracking small town somewhere up the top there with a super friendly campsite by a swimmable clear river. Not much help there then. Some photos from the Dolce Via
Image Attachments
CE56E509-5383-4B50-9C1A-350F2959D643.jpeg
5CCD3948-0C48-4AE7-8841-85DE893AAA12.jpeg
84D1BB6C-BFCF-4E60-968A-BE94F7FE5861.jpeg
E0C603B2-47C9-49E9-9771-460C324EE503.jpeg

nat

Postby nat » 10 Feb 2020, 12:38pm

Nicccce :shock: photos. Much as I appreciate, and don't dismiss the routes given at all. I feel maybe it's a return route come June/ July.
March, having never been in the country for, is wholly a different matter in certain areas I feel. So, if potentials could hopefully include the warmer climes, it'd be most appreciated.
To my unknowing mind, southern and low would seem a fair bet. Nope, haven't the time to increase mileage massively. I'm stuck with 3 wks from Brittany , give or take a couple of days.
I've heard it's a ' game' getting trains, with a loaded tourer in France ? Northern Spanish trains, I can recommend when either you can't safely use the route or, you're just maybe too tired. Ticket, push,wait....GO. No questions, large area for, not a single raised eyebrow.
I can only go on people's recommendations in France of course.
Again, thanks abound

nsew

Postby nsew » 10 Feb 2020, 9:17pm

Take the west coast TGV from Brest? To Bordeaux? Cycle east. That is one of the few fast trains that takes full bikes. You can make your way south in March from Brittany. Temps will generally be fine for cycling with a real mixture of weather from good to bad. But you’re going to loose a few days to poor weather. If I had 3 weeks to play with in March I’d take one of the buses mentioned on these boards to one of the southern departments and adventure around before taking the bus home. Less kit, more cycling, more fun. Dry warm climate starts here.......
Image Attachments
9C8AC2F0-4BB8-4959-96F6-C8EADC30FB78.jpeg